Annual Service

Depending on when you had your last service, there are several service bulletins they performed when they did my annual service. For my car, one of those included replacing a couple pieces of trim that I had no idea needed replaced.
I actually just had a mobile service visit today. That's what made me think of it. My car is up to date on everything. But, neither service nor I thought to discuss or possibly schedule the annual thing for the same trip out here. So, now I'm wondering if anyone else has done it and how difficult it is to get to the air filter or change the wiper blades.

I actually just had a mobile service visit today. That's what made me think of it. My car is up to date on everything. But, neither service nor I thought to discuss or possibly schedule the annual thing for the same trip out here. So, now I'm wondering if anyone else has done it and how difficult it is to get to the air filter or change the wiper blades.
Yes, for me, there's not even a rotation (21" wheels) ... seems like an expensive service appointment. Would be good to get the instructions and parts cost for the cabin air filter. Plus, if I've only driven it less than 5000 miles in one year and with very little rain and parked indoors, seems like the wipers and filter wouldn't even need to be changed. I can EASILY change the visor batteries all by myself!!!

Yes, for me, there's not even a rotation (21" wheels) ... seems like an expensive service appointment. Would be good to get the instructions and parts cost for the cabin air filter. Plus, if I've only driven it less than 5000 miles in one year and with very little rain and parked indoors, seems like the wipers and filter wouldn't even need to be changed. I can EASILY change the visor batteries all by myself!!!
Problem is, unlike every other car I've owned, there's no YouTube videos on how to do that stuff lol. I'll see if I can get prices from service for the parts. Do they even sell the parts in auto parts stores yet?

They also do a bunch of checks on the car i.e. battery health, fluid levels, other stuff.

Service tech here in Philadelphia said $350 for my first annual service, due early next year. This is probably cheaper than what I was paying, pre-pandemic, to Mercedes dealerships for their least invasive annual service. Plus I can get other shopping done in King of Prussia once the service center there opens.

Even if it is simple enough for me to change the cabin air filter etc, I'd rather they be the ones to do this stuff during the warranty period. Plus my tires do need to be rotated and I do not want to deal with that in my tiny garage.

Yeah. So I wonder how much $ it would actually save if I did the filter, wipers, batteries and tire rotation if I have to buy the parts, pay for the rotation, and still have them do the checks. It would probably be more convenient and timely to do it myself. But maybe not save much $. And for overall ease, it's certainly easier to have mobile service do everything.

Yeah. So I wonder how much $ it would actually save if I did the filter, wipers, batteries and tire rotation if I have to buy the parts, pay for the rotation, and still have them do the checks. It would probably be more convenient and timely to do it myself. But maybe not save much $. And for overall ease, it's certainly easier to have mobile service do everything.
The real question is - how much is your time worth? I am very far from the wealthiest person here, and $350 to not spend the time doing these things is 100% worth it to me. If working on cars was a hobby I enjoyed I would feel differently though.

The real question is - how much is your time worth? I am very far from the wealthiest person here, and $350 to not spend the time doing these things is 100% worth it to me. If working on cars was a hobby I enjoyed I would feel differently though.
Well, I'm also not really wealthy. Unlike a lot of people here, I only have this one car as my DD. Since I drive for work, I have almost 12k miles in 4 months of driving the car. I do like to tinker though. If it saves me money and/or time, I don't mind doing things myself. We'll see how it works out I guess.

Well, I'm also not really wealthy. Unlike a lot of people here, I only have this one car as my DD. Since I drive for work, I have almost 12k miles in 4 months of driving the car. I do like to tinker though. If it saves me money and/or time, I don't mind doing things myself. We'll see how it works out I guess.
If you're driving 36k miles in a year, it's a pretty nice place to sit :)

Curious how the car will hold up to that much use...when will you have to replace those tires?

I read in another thread that remote service can handle the service interval. I seriously doubt Lucid would expect owners to make a multi hour journey. It just doesn't make sense.
My mobile technician says he can do everything in the annual service interval check EXCEPT tire rotation. He advised just going to a local tire retailer for this if I want it done.

He advised just going to a local tire retailer for this if I want it done.
I thought only Lucid can reprogram the TPMS when the sensors' position is moved (such as back right to front right, front right is crossed over to back left...)

I thought only Lucid can reprogram the TPMS when the sensors' position is moved (such as back right to front right, front right is crossed over to back left...)
Discount tire can do that.

no - you only need lucid to do anything when switching wheel sizes (19 to 21, for example)

I've been advised to book my annual service by my SC. Does anyone know whether it will affect my warranty if I don't service it? With my model X I serviced it once in 4 years as it wasn't actually necessary to keep the warranty, and I looked at the service bulletin and it didn't seem relevant to keep the car running smoothly (e.g. like an oil change), so I decided to service it prior to the warranty expiring. I don't care to pay for overpriced fluid filling as I can easily do that myself and I've also change my own wiper blades already so to pay for those again seems like a waste.

I've been advised to book my annual service by my SC. Does anyone know whether it will affect my warranty if I don't service it? With my model X I serviced it once in 4 years as it wasn't actually necessary to keep the warranty, and I looked at the service bulletin and it didn't seem relevant to keep the car running smoothly (e.g. like an oil change), so I decided to service it prior to the warranty expiring. I don't care to pay for overpriced fluid filling as I can easily do that myself and I've also change my own wiper blades already so to pay for those again seems like a waste.
From the manual:

The Lucid New Vehicle Limited Warranty will be voided, and no warranty coverage will be provided in the following situations:
- Failing to properly operate your vehicle in accordance with the specific instructions and recommendation regarding the use and operation of your vehicle as provided in the Owner’s Manual.
- Failing to install required software updates within 30 days after notification that an update is available.
- Failing to comply with any recall notice.
- Defacing or altering the VIN or odometer or any related system such that it is difficult to determine the VIN number or actual mileage.
- The vehicle being sold, designated, labeled or branded as dismantled, fire-damaged, flood-damaged, junk, rebuilt, salvage, reconstructed, irreparable, or a total loss, including a determination by an insurance carrier that the vehicle is a total loss.

So you have to get the recalls done either way, and you really should just get the annual maintenance done.

Where did you get the aftermarket wipers? I guess I falsely assumed they wouldn't be readily available at auto parts stores.

Where did you get the aftermarket wipers? I guess I falsely assumed they wouldn't be readily available at auto parts stores.

Not everything on the Lucid is unique to the brand. I'm pretty sure that one of the standard-size blade inserts would fit the Lucid. You can also use non-OEM tires on the car as long as the load rating is appropriate, with several brands having already introduced EV-optimized tires, and more are on the way. And things such as wheel alignment can be done by non-Lucid shops as long as they have access to the alignment specs which are already in the databases of many franchise shops. Besides a pair of rear tires that Lucid installed, I've had two full tire sets put on our Dream Editions by Tire Choice centers, and everything went fine, including pairing up the TPMS's. The trick is to be sure they pay attention to the lug nut torque specs (111 ft/lbs) which, as with many EVs, is higher than most shops are used to seeing for cars. (The Tesla Model S requires a torque of 129 ft/lbs, for instance . . . something that is in truck territory. I once had our Honda dealer mount a set of tires on the Tesla, and they had to send someone out to an Advanced Auto to buy a torque wrench with a high enough range. With Teslas becoming as common as Chevys where I live and other EV brands popping up more and more, I'm guessing most local shops are quickly becoming familiar with EV requirements.) I ended up buying my own torque wrench so that I could check the torque myself once I got home as well as the tire pressures. I found that Tire Choice had landed the torque and pressures on the head. (I'm kind of obsessed with things relating to tire pressures and wheel torque. I once got a car home from a tire change and found the shop had run the pressures up to over 60 lbs to seat the beads but had not then backed off the pressures.)

Not everything on the Lucid is unique to the brand. I'm pretty sure that one of the standard-size blade inserts would fit the Lucid. You can also use non-OEM tires on the car as long as the load rating is appropriate, with several brands having already introduced EV-optimized tires, and more are on the way. And things such as wheel alignment can be done by non-Lucid shops as long as they have access to the alignment specs which are already in the databases of many franchise shops. Besides a pair of rear tires that Lucid installed, I've had two full tire sets put on our Dream Editions by Tire Choice centers, and everything went fine, including pairing up the TPMS's. The trick is to be sure they pay attention to the lug nut torque specs (111 ft/lbs) which, as with many EVs, is higher than most shops are used to seeing for cars. (The Tesla Model S requires a torque of 129 ft/lbs, for instance . . . something that is in truck territory. I once had our Honda dealer mount a set of tires on the Tesla, and they had to send someone out to an Advanced Auto to buy a torque wrench with a high enough range. With Teslas becoming as common as Chevys where I live and other EV brands popping up more and more, I'm guessing most local shops are quickly becoming familiar with EV requirements.) I ended up buying my own torque wrench so that I could check the torque myself once I got home as well as the tire pressures. I found that Tire Choice had landed the torque and pressures on the head. (I'm kind of obsessed with things relating to tire pressures and wheel torque. I once got a car home from a tire change and found the shop had run the pressures up to over 60 lbs to seat the beads but had not then backed off the pressures.)
I wasn't sure if any aftermarket wipers/blades would fit. But this is also my first car with wet wipers so I don't have experience just swapping out the blades or inserts or something

I wasn't sure if any aftermarket wipers/blades would fit. But this is also my first car with wet wipers so I don't have experience just swapping out the blades or inserts or something
The wiper fluid sprays through the blades, so I assumed they would be harder than a typical wiper blade to replace. But if there are third-party options, all the better.

Back