Android Wi-fi in my network?

Mata Hari

Verified Owner
Cars
Zenith/Santa Cruz AGT
My car and phone connect just fine.

In my wifi networks (showing up on the phone) is an Android network that I think is the car.
Does the car act as a hotspot I can access? Is this an option? If so how can I determine the password?

i’m certain it’s the car because it’s always there! what is it? Is it something we can use?

Thanks in advance!

In my wifi networks (showing up on the phone) is an Android network that I think is the car.
Does the car act as a hotspot I can access? Is this an option? If so how can I determine the password?

i’m certain it’s the car because it’s always there! what is it? Is it something we can use?

Thanks in advance!
The car has no hotspot functionality that I am aware of. You can use your phone's hotspot for the car as a network, though.

Thanks in advance!
Many devices can show up as android. Turn Wi-Fi off in your car and see if it goes away.

The car has no hotspot functionality that I am aware of. You can use your phone's hotspot for the car as a network, though.
Since almost every chip that allows a WiFi connection can also hotspot, I am willing to bet that Luicd has this capability but it has not been turned on. It likely will not be turned on as long as Lucid is paying for data.

Turning off the wifi doesn't help solve the problem. If I turn off the car wifi - that is receiver and the car would still broadcast. If I turn off the phone's wifi - of course - the signal cannot be detected. I think the car has an Android chip that is broadcasting a wifi network. Can anyone confirm? Does anyone have any ideas about how to confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps park the car far enough away from your house that any hotspot from the car would not appear and see if the signal still appears.

I have noticed it when I am out in the world, well away from home. That's what prompted me to post...
And FWIW - I am a total Apple fangirl and do not own any Android products... (except maybe the car!)

Turning off the wifi doesn't help solve the problem. If I turn off the car wifi - that is receiver and the car would still broadcast. If I turn off the phone's wifi - of course - the signal cannot be detected. I think the car has an Android chip that is broadcasting a wifi network. Can anyone confirm? Does anyone have any ideas about how to confirm?

Thanks in advance.
The car is not broadcasting wifi. What is the network named? Can you take a screenshot?

Turning off wifi in the car does, in fact, turn off the wifi antenna; the car already wasn’t broadcasting anything, but if it were, it would be off then.

I have "Wifi Analyzer" installed on my phone (which finds wifi head ends) and it finds no Android network being advertised (with the car's wifi being either on or off). I see lots of nets that only identify themselves by address, but none that claim to be an Android based system (lots of the others do identify the product type).

That said, the (to me) more interesting thing is that I had turned wifi off on the car many weeks ago. At the time I saw a major reduction in the vampire drain in the car (went from roughly 0.75%/day to 0.25%/day). I have done three software upgrades since then (2.0.71, 2.1.3, 2.1.10)... and when I checked to see if my phone could see a wifi head end just now I found that the wifi in the car had been turned on... huh? What turned it back on? Was it one of those software upgrades?

I have noticed it when I am out in the world, well away from home. That's what prompted me to post...
And FWIW - I am a total Apple fangirl and do not own any Android products... (except maybe the car!)
I agree. I felt kinda silly. I just noticed this Wi-Fi on the Lucid screen two days ago. It syncs with my iPhone and appears to work out in the real world. I will keep playing with it but also would like some information on it. I am no longer tech savvy and would appreciate any and all information. Thank you in advance.

This is a screen shot from the panel

Attachments

• IMG_4490.jpeg
    IMG_4490.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
I should also note that my vampire drain has not returned with the recent turning on of the wifi... perhaps the updates did some work in this area(?), still doesn't explain how it got turned back on (and it is unreasonable for an update to have done so).

This is a screen shot from the panel
If I read this correctly, it just says the the car is using a hot spot provided by a phone (as one would expect it to be able to do)...
am I misreading something?

If I read this correctly, it just says the the car is using a hot spot provided by a phone (as one would expect it to be able to do)...
Except, she's on an iPhone and connected to that Hotspot with her phone!

It only shows up with the vehicle powered up. It is not being provided by the phone. I just noticed it a couple of days ago. When this thread showed up it validated my question, WHY?. Mata Hari and I believe have the same question.

I still don't get it... the car is (when powered up) connecting to a wifi (whose arbitrary name is AndroidAP_8486, which does not mean it is powered/created by Android). The iPhone can also connect to this wifi (that's how wifi works).

Are you saying that the iPhone can only see that wifi when the car is powered up? (That would be interesting and raise questions.)

I also note that the signal strength of the AndroidAP_8486 network is not very strong, thus not likely to be the car (which seems to be the claim here).
I also see several other networks here which means that at the time of the picture the car was close enough to see several wifi sources (other homes?).
Interestingly, AndroidAP_8486 was preferred over the stronger signal of configured point Sidney&Charlie too...

Have you looked at what info lies behind the "..." for AndroidAP_8486?

The car does not broadcast any kind of Wifi network that you would connect to. It uses a special type of wifi known as Wifi-Direct for CarPlay, but that does not show up in a list of wifi networks.

Thanks in advance.

No. A wifi switch is bidirectional. If you turn off Wifi, it cannot receive or broadcast anything.

The answer is simple. You are either:
  • connected to your iPhone's hotspot (which for some reason has "Android" in the name, maybe by accident or as a prank that you never noticed)
  • connected to someone else's phone hotspot that is in the car with you, either on their person or somewhere in the car (the signal strength leads me to believe it might be in the back seat, frunk, or trunk)
  • connected to a mobile cellspot like these
"AndroidAP" is a very common prefix for Android phones to have when creating a hotspot network if you don't change it. Also, your Lucid won't connect to a wifi network that doesn't have internet connectivity. Furthermore, a wifi card only has one single "interface". It can either connect to a network, or it can broadcast a network. It cannot do both at the same time, and it cannot connect to itself.

The only mystery here is what device you have on or near you that's broadcasting a network. I have no idea what's going on with your situation, but it's not the car.

Back