Android Auto Thursday

Even if she absolutely knew the release date, there’s no way she would make it public. Lucid is notoriously tightlipped about things like this.
That did not stop Lucid execs who previously said it would probably be out by the end of 2022. She said she had no information from the software team on when to expect AA.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I had the opportunity to visit my daughter when she worked as a design engineer for Daimler-Chrysler. I received permission to visit her workstation. Lo and behold, they had a Toyota completely torn apart. I asked what's a Toyota doing in a DC building. She said Toyota's gas tank was 0.5 lbs lighter than DC's and they wanted to know why.

I believe the hallmark of a successful company is knowing what their competitors are doing, so I have to believe that Lucid has several (not all) of their competitors' or recognized leaders' products under investigation/analysis (aka torn apart). How successful these forays are is anyone's guess but I believe that shortens the learning curve. Again, just my two cents.
There‘s a huge difference between taking a physical car apart and reverse-engineering code. You do get that, right?

That did not stop Lucid execs who previously said it would probably be out by the end of 2022. She said she had no information from the software team on when to expect AA.
That may be the exact reason nobody will say anything… They don't want to set up expectations that they may not meet.

There‘s a huge difference between taking a physical car apart and reverse-engineering code. You do get that, right?
Yes, very much. I’m building a ‘55 Bel Air with LS6 Corvette engine from the ground up so I understand the mechanical relationship of hardware. I understand that coding is much more difficult than hardware because you can’t see it, nor can you see necessarily see the relationship between how one module affects another. Many examples here, like how the first version of U2.0 undid some of the capabilities of Version 1. My opinion is that they will learn something from their competitors and shorten the learning curve, nothing more. I had no intention of trivializing the difficulties of coding; that’s why s/w engineers get the salaries they command. Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers.

Yes, very much. I’m building a ‘55 Bel Air with LS6 Corvette engine from the ground up so I understand the mechanical relationship of hardware. I understand that coding is much more difficult than hardware because you can’t see it, nor can you see necessarily see the relationship between how one module affects another. Many examples here, like how the first version of U2.0 undid some of the capabilities of Version 1. My opinion is that they will learn something from their competitors and shorten the learning curve, nothing more. I had no intention of trivializing the difficulties of coding; that’s why s/w engineers get the salaries they command. Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers.
No feathers ruffled.

I do think if Lucid had made it a top priority, Android Auto could have shipped by now. But for whatever reason, it has not been at the top of their list. There could be many circumstances that led to that decision, none of which we are privy to. My only guess is that they have far fewer Android customers than iPhone customers. And other features are deemed more important to a greater number of customers. It’s not like their bug list isn’t a mile long.

It’s also possible that with Gravity coming, and their much touted “Next Generation Cockpit panel” as they’ve teased it, there is a lot of work being done to get that UI completed. That would be my top guess, actually.

I do hope Lucid finishes Android Auto soon, though. It is a big missing feature that was promised quite some time ago now.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I had the opportunity to visit my daughter when she worked as a design engineer for Daimler-Chrysler. I received permission to visit her workstation. Lo and behold, they had a Toyota completely torn apart. I asked what's a Toyota doing in a DC building. She said Toyota's gas tank was 0.5 lbs lighter than DC's and they wanted to know why.

I believe the hallmark of a successful company is knowing what their competitors are doing, so I have to believe that Lucid has several (not all) of their competitors' or recognized leaders' products under investigation/analysis (aka torn apart). How successful these forays are is anyone's guess but I believe that shortens the learning curve. Again, just my two cents.
Those are extremely different. Of course they would reverse engineer any hardware design that gave them a competitive edge. They would also reverse engineer an algorithm if they could, for example, if it somehow gave them an edge.

There is absolutely no reason they would be reversing someone else’s android auto implementation. It gains them absolutely nothing, and makes the work twice as hard.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!! Just remember that Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good positive attitude while waiting for AA.

"You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The wai(yay)ting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

I've had an Android phone ever since I first got a smartphone. Right about now, I wish I had an iPhone and that all my data and notes and pictures were all backed up in one place. I dropped my phone this afternoon. Because the screen was dead on the first phone, they couldn't do a full Smart Transfer. So not only am I out a lot of money, but a lost other stuff as well. It's frustrating what damage you can do in one moment of carelessness. 😭

No information is often worse than missed expectations.

What many people don't realize is that new software features should target potential customers, not existing customers. Lucid doesn't currently have a way to get additional revenue from existing customers. Most new features can possibly existing customer satisfaction, but this only indirectly helps sales.

New features which are very important to some potential customers, say like Android Auto, should be the highest priority for most companies that could really use a bump in sales, and corresponding revenue.

If a potential customer inquiries about Android Auto availability in a Lucid vehicle, which is better to tell them?:
#1, I have no information about if or when AA will be available, or
#2, we are currently working on adding AA and it is expected to be available in the fourth quarter.

Saying the former gives the potential customer no confidence the feature will ever be available, while the latter sounds promising. Being transparent with customers, even if there are problems or delays, has been proven empirically to be better for a company that saying nothing at all.

I have no doubt that Lucid's poor marketing communication costs the company in terms of new sales. It's a seemingly easy problem to fix, but Lucid seems unwilling to even try to improve.

For those of us who dropped the money for DDPro and Surreal Sound, there is an expectation with an early car to release new features, particularly heavily advertised with OTA.

While I do not disagree on your and my preference, there are tradeoffs to both approaches. As far as I know, other automakers are tight lipped about feature releases.

An excited customer base about whatever feature in the soon to drop 2.1.2v will have a far flung reach. Each owner has a network to express enthusiasm in the car. Those people in turn have a network to express enthusiasm and interest in the car. I believe it was Facebook who did the study. Everyone is more or less three degrees of separation from everyone else. The magnitude of customer enthusiasm is not a trivial force on the market.

Have faith friend. Express your joy in the car. Take it to car shows. Talk to others who express interest. When the ball gets rolling, Lucid and the cars will earn the deserved seat amongst the best.

Aston Martin took notice (for whatever reasons) who have much more street cred. People's ears will start to perk up as renowned companies make use of the technology. The Saudis double downing on the two companies certainly does not hurt either. Munro has finally bent the metaphorical knee too.

The snowball effect starts small.

I enjoy the car. I would enjoy it more if Lucid was more open and transparent with their communications, including future plans.

Constructive customer criticism is a undervalued, helpful resource for all companies. Giving positive comments is all well and good, but it doesn't do anything to help the company do better.

The vast majority of us here want Lucid to be very successful. This company would be more successful if marketing communications are improved.

No information is often worse than missed expectations.

What many people don't realize is that new software features should target potential customers, not existing customers. Lucid doesn't currently have a way to get additional revenue from existing customers. Most new features can possibly existing customer satisfaction, but this only indirectly helps sales.

New features which are very important to some potential customers, say like Android Auto, should be the highest priority for most companies that could really use a bump in sales, and corresponding revenue.

If a potential customer inquiries about Android Auto availability in a Lucid vehicle, which is better to tell them?:
#1, I have no information about if or when AA will be available, or
#2, we are currently working on adding AA and it is expected to be available in the fourth quarter.

Saying the former gives the potential customer no confidence the feature will ever be available, while the latter sounds promising. Being transparent with customers, even if there are problems or delays, has been proven empirically to be better for a company that saying nothing at all.

I have no doubt that Lucid's poor marketing communication costs the company in terms of new sales. It's a seemingly easy problem to fix, but Lucid seems unwilling to even try to improve.
I completely disagree. Setting expectations and missing them is worse. This has been one of Lucid's faults to parts when it comes to their investors. I would rather they take their time and get it right than push something out that is going to full of issues. Now, if they take their sweet ass time and release a crappy integration, then I and other Android owners can complain all we want.

BTW, this is my favorite thread every Thursday. This a true test of the old adage patience is a virtue!

Last edited:
I meant this is my favorite thread every Thursday! Why do we have two separate ones going now? #keepthedreamalive

This is also my favorite thread every Thursday as well as I anxiously wait for AA to be released. I agree with you in that we only need one Android Auto Thursday Thread. Pick one and I will follow your lead.

Is it possible Lucid hasn't released Android auto because of a possible deal with Apple? If they decided to work with apple on an EV in some way, maybe Apple and Lucid would agree not to do Android auto. Thoughts..

Back