And, again . . .

Meanwhile, I'm rethinking our plans to put down a deposit on a Gravity as soon as reservations open up.

This is completely understandable with the issues you've had, but if Lucid take small refundable deposits again then there would be no harm in putting one down. You would expect Lucid to be more than willing to work with you in regards to any potential delivery, so you could ask to wait for the first few hundred to be in customer hands for a while before making a decision. That could secure your place in line with you being the one to decide if/when to take a delivery, and prevent you ending up at the end of the line if you later decide you want a Gravity.

Aww man. Really sorry to hear that - your luck sounds considerably worse than mine (although, from a piece of paper I found in my car, I suspect it had a DU replacement before I got it). Glad to hear Lucid are treating you well and hope you have your car back soon.

Incidentally my mom is also in Naples - at least the latest hurricane appears to be tracking well North of you!

The response of Lucid's service team in Riviera Beach is the saving grace in all of this.

Now that truck traffic has resumed after Hurricane Idalia passed through, I got a call this morning that the truck to bring us a loaner and pick up our car was leaving as soon as the loaner was turned back in to the shop and should arrive here mid-afternoon. About an hour later, I got a call that the loaner had been involved in a fender bender and it would be tomorrow before another loaner became available. However, in order to expedite service on our car, Lucid said they would still pick up our car today and bring the loaner tomorrow. That would mean an extra cross-state trip just to get our car into the shop a day earlier.

I declined, and told Lucid just to wait until they could handle the swap with one trip. Their willingness to incur the cost of an extra trip for this purpose was very impressive, though.

Got a call from Lucid Service today. They have replaced the rear drive unit in our car. (The battery pack was replaced two weeks before, so the car's been in the shop over four weeks, only being back with us for four days between the battery pack failure and the rear drive unit failure.)

On the test drive, they noticed a strong vibration on the road. They concluded it was because the rear tires developed flat spots while the car was sitting -- something they called "high road force". They could not explain why this would affect only the rear tires and not the fronts, and I was a surprised that this would happen after only two weeks in the shop. Perhaps a function of the weight of the car, the blistering hot asphalt pavement in their south Florida parking lot, and the low-rolling-resistance sidewall construction?

Lucid was going to charge me to replace the tires, but once they realized they had only been on the car for 2,800 miles, they are doing it at no cost to me. I didn't have to ask for the cost waiver. Lucid called me to tell me the replacement would be free before I even saw the email telling me about the problem and that I would have to pay for new tires.

Again, although I'm a bit frustrated with the car itself right now, I have absolutely no complaints about Lucid Service.

Part of what's keeping me patient is that I have a GT loaner. It's been interesting to compare the GT to the Dream Edition Performance and to gauge what progress in fit & finish Lucid has made in the past 21 months. Also, I put a full wrap on my car so that I could put it through an automatic carwash, but I had not yet screwed up the courage to do so. I've put the loaner through an automatic carwash twice, and it's been a problem-free experience. I've checked carefully for swirl marks, and the clear coat on the Quantum Gray is still pristine with 6,800 miles on the car.

Got a call from Lucid Service today. They have replaced the rear drive unit in our car. (The battery pack was replaced two weeks before, so the car's been in the shop over four weeks, only being back with us for four days between the battery pack failure and the rear drive unit failure.)

On the test drive, they noticed a strong vibration on the road. They concluded it was because the rear tires developed flat spots while the car was sitting -- something they called "high road force". They could not explain why this would affect only the rear tires and not the fronts, and I was a surprised that this would happen after only two weeks in the shop. Perhaps a function of the weight of the car, the blistering hot asphalt pavement in their south Florida parking lot, and the low-rolling-resistance sidewall construction?

Lucid was going to charge me to replace the tires, but once they realized they had only been on the car for 2,800 miles, they are doing it at no cost to me. I didn't have to ask for the cost waiver. Lucid called me to tell me the replacement would be free before I even saw the email telling me about the problem and that I would have to pay for new tires.

Again, although I'm a bit frustrated with the car itself right now, I have absolutely no complaints about Lucid Service.

Part of what's keeping me patient is that I have a GT loaner. It's been interesting to compare the GT to the Dream Edition Performance and to gauge what progress in fit & finish Lucid has made in the past 21 months. Also, I put a full wrap on my car so that I could put it through an automatic carwash, but I had not yet screwed up the courage to do so. I've put the loaner through an automatic carwash twice, and it's been a problem-free experience. I've checked carefully for swirl marks, and the clear coat on the Quantum Gray is still pristine with 6,800 miles on the car.
I bet every Lucid executive has you on speed dial. Your bad luck is incredible. Over 2 cars.

Lucid was going to charge me to replace the tires
The fact that they were even considering charging you for the tires (regardless of your horribly unlucky history with your DEs) is crazy. The tire issue happened while they had the car, so it's on them regardless of how many miles the tires have on them.

I bet every Lucid executive has you on speed dial. Your bad luck is incredible. Over 2 cars.

I do occasionally get calls from various regional managers asking if they can do anything to assist. It's one thing to test cars, but the Dream Editions are giving Lucid the first data on how the Air will hold up under long-term use in the variety of conditions that can only be encountered by several hundred people going about their business day in and day out for months on end. I think that's the real reason that Lucid jumps on every issue with Dream Editions so quickly.

I had a problem-ridden first-generation Corvette C6 and a similary plagued first-generation Mercedes SL55 AMG. I wished Chevrolet and Mercedes showed even half the interest as Lucid has in assisting me as they bore down on new-production problems.

The fact that they were even considering charging you for the tires (regardless of your horribly unlucky history with your DEs) is crazy. The tire issue happened while they had the car, so it's on them regardless of how many miles the tires have on them.

If the tires had been nearing the end of their life, I would not have expected Lucid to pay the full cost of replacement. I would have had a discussion with them about sharing the cost on a pro-rated basis.

Given how new the tires were, I would have challenged their charging me for replacements. But the issue was mooted by their quick switch of position before I even had a chance to raise the issue.

It's been interesting to compare the GT to the Dream Edition Performance and to gauge what progress in fit & finish Lucid has made in the past 21 months. Also, I put a full wrap on my car so that I could put it through an automatic carwash, but I had not yet screwed up the courage to do so.
What were your conclusions on the GT vs DE fit/finish, performance, anything else?

Also, by a wrap, does that mean you cannot see the zenith red finish anymore? Or is it a clear ppf type "wrap?"

What were your conclusions on the GT vs DE fit/finish, performance, anything else?

Also, by a wrap, does that mean you cannot see the zenith red finish anymore? Or is it a clear ppf type "wrap?"

The panel gaps were a little more even on the GT, especially around the trunk lid. The early lids on the Dream Editions were slightly deformed due to what was traced to a curing process error at the manufacturer, and this issue appears to have been corrected. The silver roof cantrails on the GT are a bit uneven in how they meet the rear cross rail on each side, but it is something you would only notice if you were examining the car closely. Both our two Dream Editions and this GT all had/have excellent fit & finish on all interior trim pieces (considerably better than on our Model S Plaid), except for the flimsy-feeling toggle switches for A/C temp and fan speed. That issue is apparently ongoing.

All three Airs I've driven extensively convey the same sense of solidity and "presence" as the upper-tier Mercedes and Audis I've owned, again far more so than the two Model S's we've owned.

We used a clear wrap on the body and an untinted matte wrap on the silver roof components and mirror caps. Definitely wouldn't want to hide that Zenith Red.

What were your conclusions on the GT vs DE . . . performance . . . ?

This was a little surprising to me. When really punching either car from a standstill, they both accelerate so hard that I don't go all the way into the throttle in either one. So, for all practical purposes, one car is as quick as the other in my hands. I'm pretty sure both cars can put down more torque than the tires can handle, so you're probably encountering traction control intervention with both.

Where I really notice the difference is when playing with the throttle in its middle range at speed. The Dream feels lighter on its feet and more responsive. If I were purchasing again, I would again pay the hefty premium for the added power. However, there is nothing the least bit disappointing about the GT's performance, and I could live happily with it over the long term.

I'm now very curious about the Gravity. Will its added weight make the Performance option (assuming there is one) feel more like the GT? That would be fine and probably the better part of wisdom given the Gravity's size and weight. However, it does leave me hoping the Gravity will have a tri-motor option without being as tricked out for the race track as the Air Sapphire.

Where I really notice the difference is when playing with the throttle in its middle range at speed. The Dream feels lighter on its feet and more responsive. If I were purchasing again, I would again pay the hefty premium for the added power. However, there is nothing the least bit disappointing about the GT's performance, and I could live happily with it over the long term.
Precisely how I felt. It was clearly more power than needed for the road, but getting back into my DE felt very different; it just handled a bit better and accelerated at speed noticeably better.

I’ll be really curious to hear a re-comparison after you’re back in the DE.

This was a little surprising to me. When really punching either car from a standstill, they both accelerate so hard that I don't go all the way into the throttle in either one. So, for all practical purposes, one car is as quick as the other in my hands. I'm pretty sure both cars can put down more torque than the tires can handle, so you're probably encountering traction control intervention with both.

I'm now very curious about the Gravity. Will its added weight make the Performance option (assuming there is one) feel more like the GT? That would be fine and probably the better part of wisdom given the Gravity's size and weight. However, it does leave me hoping the Gravity will have a tri-motor option without being as tricked out for the race track as the Air Sapphire.
Maybe the GT and GT-P will be a tri-motor, considering that the gravity "sapphire" will likely be quad motors? That would be a perfect solution, considering we all know that lucids powertrains are capable of so much more power. In addition, tri motors is very important on a SUV as weight transfer is much more pronounced. I also don't know if sapphire will be track oriented, but considering lucid released footage of it on a track it could be expected. I just hope that it doesnt dilute the sapphire brand.

Speaking of which, do we expect any upgrades to the battery? Bigger, better chemistry, etc? Or maybe even motor upgrades?

Last edited:
Precisely how I felt. It was clearly more power than needed for the road, but getting back into my DE felt very different; it just handled a bit better and accelerated at speed noticeably better.

Wait, why would the handling be better? In fact, it has more battery capacity...(which now that I think of it, shouldnt make any weight difference as it is the result of a smaller buffer)

Still, they are the same weight. Could it be that the rear motor has more of a proportion to the front than the GT?(more rear biased, which would certainly explain it).

Maybe the GT and GT-P will be a tri-motor, considering that the gravity "sapphire" will likely be quad motors? That would be a perfect solution, considering we all know that lucids powertrains are capable of so much more power. In addition, tri motors is very important on a SUV as weight transfer is much more pronounced.

Speaking of which, do we expect any upgrades to the battery? Bigger, better chemistry, etc? Or maybe even motor upgrades?
I expect it has falcon wing doors that let it literally fly.

Wait, why would the handling be better? In fact, it has more battery capacity...(which now that I think of it, shouldnt make any weight difference as it is the result of a smaller buffer)
I don’t have an answer, actually. Both were on 21s, so that’s not it. The most noticeable thing was the power; and to @hmp10’s point, I definitely didn’t *need* the extra power. But when it was gone I definitely missed it.

The handling was different, but I also don’t understand why.

One thing I'm trying to figure out . . .

I tend to keep the GT in Sprint mode to better mimic the response of the Dream but usually drive the Dream in Swift mode unless I'm really in a mood to play. I've noticed that the GT feels tauter and more planted in quick curves than the Dream. I think the GT might even feel a bit tauter than does the Dream in Sprint mode.

Have there been any suspension modifications for newer Airs, or is my imagination playing tricks on me, and it's just the difference between Sprint and Swift modes?

Last edited:

Derek Jenkins said in a recent "Motoman" interview that the Gravity would use the same battery pack as the Air. He did not specify whether that meant the 112- or the 118-kWh pack.

One thing I'm trying to figure out . . .

I tend to keep the GT in Sprint mode to better mimic the response of the Dream but usually drive the Dream in Swift mode unless I'm really in a mood to play. I've notice than the GT feels tauter and more planted in quick curves than the Dream. I think the GT might even feel a bit tauter than does the Dream in Sprint mode.

Have there been any suspension modifications for newer Airs, or is my imagination playing tricks on me, and it's just the difference between Sprint and Swift modes?
I don’t have an answer, actually. Both were on 21s, so that’s not it. The most noticeable thing was the power; and to @hmp10’s point, I definitely didn’t *need* the extra power. But when it was gone I definitely missed it.

The handling was different, but I also don’t understand why.
Wait, so one of you says the GT was better, the other the dream? @borski , which mode do you drive both of them on? Also, by the handling being different, is that good or bad?

I would imagine that outside of steering feel, the adaptive dampers surely can't do that much of a difference(considering swift vs sprint)...

Back