And, again . . .

Derek Jenkins said in a recent "Motoman" interview that the Gravity would use the same battery pack as the Air. He did not specify whether that meant the 112- or the 118-kWh pack.
Don't forget, it could be that the 112/118 kwh could be for the PURE and the touring, and a bigger one for the GT/DE. However, if it is around 130 kwh, that would be a very heavy car. As of now, I think that the entire lineup has increased sizes, as he states the car has the most range out of anything except the lucid air. That would mean vs the model s LR, which has a 405 mile range. Lucid in its promotional materials referred to the air as "520 mile," so it is safe to assume that more than 405 is only for the GT.
Then again, Lucid would have around 350 miles of range with the pure... and that is about the same as the cheaper R1S.

In conclusion, they could mean literally anything. I do not think lucid would let the pure drop below 400.

I would imagine that outside of steering feel, the adaptive dampers surely can't do that much of a difference(considering swift vs sprint)...

Actually, adjustments in semi-active dampers can make quite a bit of difference In both handling and ride compliance. It was the same in my Audi R8's, which had the same coil/semi-active damper setup as the Air.

Wait, so one of you says the GT was better, the other the dream? @borski , which mode do you drive both of them on? Also, by the handling being different, is that good or bad?

I would imagine that outside of steering feel, the adaptive dampers surely can't do that much of a difference(considering swift vs sprint)...
Swift in both, actually.

@hmp10 i wonder if Sprint in the DE would feel better after the GT? I’d be curious

Don't forget, it could be that the 112/118 kwh could be for the PURE and the touring, and a bigger one for the GT/DE.

No, Jenkins was very specific. Motoman had asked whether Lucid was going to use the additional wheelbase of the Gravity to increase battery capacity, and Jenkins responded that Lucid did not want to get into the bigger-battery game and was instead going to maintain focus on efficiency. He also added that weight is the enemy with vehicle dynamics, and Lucid did not want to add battery weight to a vehicle that was already going to be picking up weight over the Air.

No, Jenkins was very specific. Motoman had asked whether Lucid was going to use the additional wheelbase of the Gravity to increase battery capacity, and Jenkins responded that Lucid did not want to get into the bigger-battery game and was instead going to maintain focus on efficiency. He also added that weight is the enemy with vehicle dynamics, and Lucid did not want to add battery weight to a vehicle that was already going to be picking up weight over the Air.
Legroom should be plentiful then.. no need for foot garages! I want to see lucid get a 410 mile SUV with 112(dont think its 118 for mass production, only dream), but I wonder how aerodynamic the gravity is now... Maybe to the tune of .23/24? (model x has 24 for reference, but lucids is more boxy.)

I want to see lucid get a 410 mile SUV with 112 (dont think its 118 for mass production, only dream) . . . .

Samsung makes the batteries for the 118-kWh pack. Lucid and Samsung recently expanded their battery-supply agreement, and the press materials mentioned broader applications for Samsung batteries in Lucid vehicles. It wasn't clear how this impacted sourcing batteries from LG Chem and in exactly which ways Samsung applications would broaden in the Lucid lineup.

We got our Dream Edition back yesterday after back-to-back two-week stints in the Service Center. Everything seems to be fine with the car, and it drove as beautifully as I remember . . . except:

The windshield had to be replaced when the car was in the shop on the first visit to have the battery replaced. We only drove the car a few times after that repair before the rear drive unit went out, and it was usually raining.

Yesterday we took the car for a long drive in bright sunshine, and we noticed a half-dollar-sized spot right in the passenger's forward view. It looked almost like a dried water spot. I've cleaned the windshield inside and out with everything I can think of, including acetone. It seems to be a defect in the film between the laminated layers of glass.

Jeez . . . will this ever end?

We got our Dream Edition back yesterday after back-to-back two-week stints in the Service Center. Everything seems to be fine with the car, and it drove as beautifully as I remember . . . except:

The windshield had to be replaced when the car was in the shop on the first visit to have the battery replaced. We only drove the car a few times after that repair before the rear drive unit went out, and it was usually raining.

Yesterday we took the car for a long drive in bright sunshine, and we noticed a half-dollar-sized spot right in the passenger's forward view. It looked almost like a dried water spot. I've cleaned the windshield inside and out with everything I can think of, including acetone. It seems to be a defect in the film between the laminated layers of glass.

I don't know how old you are but do you remember "Joe Btfsplk"? If not, look him up. You must be his twin brother!

At this point I would consider appeasing the gods.

I don't know how old you are but do you remember "Joe Btfsplk"? If not, look him up. You must be his twin brother!

I don't remember Joe, but I looked him up and know how he feels. The Germans have a word that also comes to mind: Pechvogel. It means "tar bird", i. e., someone to whom misfortune sticks like tar.

You absolutely CANNOT be serious. I think this is the worst luck I have seen in my life.

You absolutely CANNOT be serious. I think this is the worst luck I have seen in my life.

I regret to say that by the time you're in your 70's as I am, you might have seen a lot worse luck than this. I hope not, of course, but life does tend to accumulate a lot of wear and tear.

In any case, all I can do it soldier on and remember that I willingly took the risk of buying an early-production car from a new company. And it's still not something I regret, as I firmly believe Lucid has created the finest stew of performance, room, comfort, and style I've seen in all my years. They (and their vendors) just still have more ground to cover than I had hoped in nailing down manufacturing quality control.

It's worth remembering that Lucid pushed a lot of technologies to the edge in engineering this car. The glass canopy contains the largest single piece of windshield glass in the automotive industry and is probably damnably tricky to manufacture. I would have hoped this particular defect would have been caught at inspection, but it's really tricky to spot in most light conditions. (The more I examine it, it appears that it's a void in the adhesive coating on the lamination film.) It's one of those things that is invisible 80% of the time, but in the 20% of the time that it is visible, it drives you nuts.

After playing around with a professional camera, we finally got a clear shot of the defect. It's about the size of a quarter or half dollar and can only be seen in certain light conditions. And, of course, it's almost smack dab center in the front passenger's forward line of sight:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 12.53.09 PM.png

Driving home from dinner tonight into a bright skyline, the windshield defect became easier to photograph. After the windshield was replaced, we only had the car back from the shop for four days before the rear drive unit failed. During that four days I was mostly in the car alone and thus did not notice this. The few times passengers were with me it was raining, and the spot was not obvious in those conditions.

I'm really curious how this windshield got through inspection at the manufacturer with this defect. I guess the car is off to the shop again soon. At least I'm not racking up much mileage on it these days.

PXL_20230913_224205703.jpg

PXL_20230913_224118242.jpg

Perfect, you are getting closer to a 100% new car. I hope you had some nice chips in the windshield.

Back