And, again . . .

It took many years for enough of the ship of Theseus to be replaced to raise the philosophical question of identity. The question of how long Dream Edition No. 395 remains No. 395 is arising much sooner. :confused:

What's really starting to annoy me is that we have twice postponed a trip to visit friends in the Blue Ridge Mountains due to these recurrent service downtimes. We wanted to make the trip while the weather was warm enough to avoid the need to switch out the summer tires. It's looking like we might have to take the Tesla instead.

Last edited:
Perfect, you are getting closer to a 100% new car. I hope you had some nice chips in the windshield.

Nope. This windshield was already a replacement installed during a service visit to replace the battery pack. The car was only on the road for four days after that service visit before the rear drive unit failed, with us noticing this defect the day the car was returned from that service visit. So it is a virtually new windshield.

Our first Dream Edition (that got wrecked) had over 17,000 miles on it, and its windshield had held up very well.

I now see that my Marxist Philosophy 101 prof left a large gap in my knowledge ....

Nope. This windshield was already a replacement installed during a service visit to replace the battery pack. The car was only on the road for four days after that service visit before the rear drive unit failed, with us noticing this defect the day the car was returned from that service visit. So it is a virtually new windshield.

Our first Dream Edition (that got wrecked) had over 17,000 miles on it, and its windshield had held up very well.
To be fair, you could set up an appointment for after your trip, right? Enjoy the trip, the passenger has a blemish but it’s not in the driver’s sight, and then get it fixed when back?

To be fair, you could set up an appointment for after your trip, right? Enjoy the trip, the passenger has a blemish but it’s not in the driver’s sight, and then get it fixed when back?

They're picking the car up this evening (Thursday) and will have it back to us Saturday afternoon. I was going to drive it over to the service shop myself and wait while the windshield was replaced, just because I've been craving some driving time in it. (It's the way this car drives that remains the saving grace that makes all this bother worthwhile.) However, the mounting adhesive has to cure for 24 hours, so it's going to be on a truck yet again.

I have to say that there's never been the slightest quibble from Lucid about promptly making everything right that happens to this car. I asked whether other windshields have experienced this problem, and they say not.

Having driven our first Dream Edition (from earlier in the production run) for over 17,000 miles with no mechanical issues and a structure that remained much more solid than our 2021 Tesla at 10,000 miles -- and having walked away without a scratch from a wreck that totaled that car -- I know that Lucid builds a good product. We just seem to have landed a lemon on this one.

Having driven our first Dream Edition (from earlier in the production run) for over 17,000 miles with no mechanical issues and a structure that remained much more solid than our 2021 Tesla at 10,000 miles -- and having walked away without a scratch from a wreck that totaled that car -- I know that Lucid builds a good product. We just seem to have landed a lemon on this one.

Yes...it happens. Your reporting is very helpful but we have to remember that it is anecdotal. Like your original DE, others may have a perfect experience. Neither proves that the cars are perfect nor awful. You have focused on the one thing that you love...the driving experience of the Lucid Air and that hasn't changed for you (you just don't have the car all the time).

Just got the car back. Over the past five weeks:

- new high-voltage battery
- new rear drive unit
- new driver door latching mechanism
- new rear third brake light panel
- two new windshields (first due to visor detachment, second due to defect in first)
- new rear tires (due to developing flat spots while in shop)

Cost to me for the above: $0.00.

Cost to Lucid for the above: God only knows.

Glad you have it back - hope that's the last it sees of a service center for a long time!

Just got the car back. Over the past five weeks:

- new high-voltage battery
- new rear drive unit
- new driver door latching mechanism
- new rear third brake light panel
- two new windshields (first due to visor detachment, second due to defect in first)
- new rear tires (due to developing flat spots while in shop)

Cost to me for the above: $0.00.

Cost to Lucid for the above: God only knows.
Wow that’s pretty cool they replaced your rear tires solely because they flat spotted while in the shop. This now has me wondering if one were to leave their car parked for awhile, like several weeks, would they flat spot?

Wow that’s pretty cool they replaced your rear tires solely because they flat spotted while in the shop. This now has me wondering if one were to leave their car parked for awhile, like several weeks, would they flat spot?

I've parked other cars for extended periods without the tires flat-spotting. And I find it odd that only the rear tires developed the problem.

All I can surmise is that three factors might have coalesced: the weight of the Lucid, the low-rolling-resistance sidewalls, and the car's being left parked for an extended period on an open black asphalt lot in a south Florida summer. (Still doesn't explain only the rear tires, though.)

These tires were relatively new -- less than 3,000 miles. When the car came down from a New Hampshire winter, the dealer has been driving it on the summer tires when the roads were dry. I was worried about microscopic cracking of the rubber compound (aka "classification") from the low temperatures, so I put a new set of tires on the car as soon as it arrived in Naples.

I was worried about microscopic cracking of the rubber compound (aka "classification") from the low temperatures, so I put a new set of tires on the car as soon as it arrived in Naples.
Did you put on the same tires (same brand, size, ratings) that came with the car?

I would offer to buy you a beer, but to be honest I'd be afraid one or both of us may choke on it. 🤣

I don't know if it's my imagination, but the car seems quicker with the new rear drive unit. I was in Swift mode and went to pass a car on a rural road Saturday afternoon. I didn't get very deep into the throttle, but the car hit 106 before I caught it and backed off -- way off. It was actually kind of scary. (This was a long, flat stretch of road with no cross streets or driveways.)

I like to think I'm used to this car, but it still catches me off guard with how strong and fast the power comes on from speed. We get this punch from our Model S Plaid, too, but it's the solidity of the Air's chassis and the buttery smoothness of its compliance that makes you slower to realize the speed and rein it in. In the Plaid, you're working to keep the front end planted at speeds that pass unnoticed in the Air unless you're watching the speedometer.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but the car seems quicker with the new rear drive unit. I was in Swift mode and went to pass a car on a rural road Saturday afternoon. I didn't get very deep into the throttle, but the car hit 106 before I caught it and backed off -- way off. It was actually kind of scary. (This was a long, flat stretch of road with no cross streets or driveways.)

I like to think I'm used to this car, but it still catches me off guard with how strong and fast the power comes on from speed. We get this punch from our Model S Plaid, too, but it's the solidity of the Air's chassis and the buttery smoothness of its compliance that makes you slower to realize the speed and rein it in. In the Plaid, you're working to keep the front end planted at speeds that pass unnoticed in the Air unless you're watching the speedometer.
The performance of my GT never ceases to amaze me. Many EVs can do fast, but none of them are as planted and confidence inspiring as a Lucid. I recently took it on a long windy road and had a blast riding the rails. It’s hard to imagine how good the Sapphire will be.

You were driving that “slow” GT for a while. So maybe you just forgot how much faster the Dream is?

So happy you are back in your car.

Either there was some improvement, or you were just used to the GT.

The strange thing is, as the motor has not been broken in yet, theoratically it should be slower than its max potential...

That was my assumption when I first decided to replace our Honda Odyssey with a Gravity. And, having been an early adapter of automotive and other products most of my adult life, I've got a fairly thick skin when it comes to the hassles of being a willing guinea pig. But this round is really wearing me down.
You should look at Sandy Monroe tear down of the Lucid. Lucid as a whole has a very poor coolant system. Over time the coolant hose will rupture causing harm to the vehicle.

I'm not sure coolant hose failure is quite so inevitable. What I do know is that Lucid are aware of the problem and are addressing it.

Below is an entry from the work order from when my HV battery was replaced.

1695049645758.png

Back