Am I the only one extremely disappointed in my Dream Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But I think for a lot of people, the constant complaining leads to a false impression that minor annoyances are much bigger problems than they are. Some folks here are scaring the crap out of those of us who are waiting on the sidelines, soaking up all we can get. It's far easier to be affected by negativity than positivity. That's been proven.

It's like reading a Twitter timeline. After five minutes, you think the world is on fire. But it's really not as bad as it seems.

So while I do want the good and the bad, I don't want the experiences of those who are complaining to overshadow the many people here who seem to be generally pleased. I think that's what motivates those folks to respond with their positive experiences. Is it defensive? Yes. But for the sake of balancing out the overall mood, not because people are being zealots.

Believe me, I've spent enough time in Tesla land to see the Musk Minions. There is nothing remotely like that going on in this forum, as far as I can tell.
You make a reasonable case---but I still want to hear it all. Case in point--unless it gets fixed, the car takes 30--45 seconds to boot up. I would buy it anyway, and be glad I heard about it here and made an informed choice, rather than be surprised and disappointed at delivery.

Opposite case: door locking/unlocking. Some of the glitches would be unacceptable (one poor guy got locked out in front of an airport terminal with his phone in the car).
I want to know about all those situations, and if they aren't clearly resolved I would pass on buying, and revisit in a year or so, or buy something else.

Just my personal 2-cents. I've never owned an EV, whereas a lot of owners here have been "pre-conditioned" to the foibles, having owned Teslas before their Lucids. So in one sense this forum is educating me not just on Lucid Air, but also whether I want to own ANY EV

I need the long range. I drive a lot and can't stop to charge. I had ordered a Model S Plaid Plus when they promised the 500 mile range, then junped to Lucid when Musk canceled that model. I am still hoping that updates will fix it. Just not convinced yet.

We own a Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air Dream Performance, both with 21" wheels. When driving at 80 mph on a flat, straight interstate (Alligator Alley skirting the Everglades across south Florida), they both get between 70-80% of their rated EPA range. Since the Air's rated range is just over 100 miles more than the Plaid's (451 miles vs. 348 miles), that means we get about 75 miles more per charge on the Air.

A Tesla "promise" of 500 miles of range is something far short of a guarantee.

. . . one poor guy got locked out in front of an airport terminal with his phone in the car.

That was me, and it certainly was aggravating as hell. But, then again, it was a one-off, and I've learned to roll with such things, as our Tesla Plaid periodically refuses to start off either the key fob or the mobile key, meaning I have to dig my key card out of my wallet and rub it on the phone charging pad to get the car to power up. On days it's doing this, it does so every time I get back in the car when I'm running errands with multiple stops.

Believe me, I've spent enough time in Tesla land to see the Musk Minions. There is nothing remotely like that going on in this forum, as far as I can tell.
This forum is getting like that.

When someone knoecked down the OP they got a bunch of praise from others.

I appreciate your thought out posts. I find them helpful.

You make a reasonable case---but I still want to hear it all. Case in point--unless it gets fixed, the car takes 30--45 seconds to boot up. I would buy it anyway, and be glad I heard about it here and made an informed choice, rather than be surprised and disappointed at delivery.

Opposite case: door locking/unlocking. Some of the glitches would be unacceptable (one poor guy got locked out in front of an airport terminal with his phone in the car).
I want to know about all those situations, and if they aren't clearly resolved I would pass on buying, and revisit in a year or so, or buy something else.

Just my personal 2-cents. I've never owned an EV, whereas a lot of owners here have been "pre-conditioned" to the foibles, having owned Teslas before their Lucids. So in one sense this forum is educating me not just on Lucid Air, but also whether I want to own ANY EV
Great point about the ANY EV. I think previous EV owners are going to tend to be a lot more forgiving than people coming from traditional auto makers. Mostly because EVs do tend to improve over time, unlike traditional cars, where what you drive off the lot is the car you end up selling 10 years later, in terms of software, etc. Of course, there's no guarantee Lucid is going to fix these things soon, but there's just more hope when you've lived OTA updates for a while.

I do think there's a tendency for some folks to view their past experiences with Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and so on with a bit of Rose-colored glasses. Just natural to forget the pains of a few years back vs. a real issue you are facing today with your current car. I've owned enough German cars to remember the service nightmares and constant expenses. My Tesla, in contrast, has cost me nothing but windshield washer fluid and tires over the last three years. I expect my Lucid to be similar.

That was me, and it certainly was aggravating as hell. But, then again, it was a one-off, and I've learned to roll with such things, as our Tesla Plaid periodically refuses to start off either the key fob or the mobile key, meaning I have to dig my key card out of my wallet and rub it on the phone charging pad to get the car to power up. On days it's doing this, it does so every time I get back in the car when I'm running errands with multiple stops.
I gotta admit, that story resonated with me. They have tow trucks at O'Hare with sleds on arms that slip under the tires of parallel-parked cars. They arrive about 30 seconds after the traffic cop calls them, and their work is done in 30 seconds more. Then it's Uber to the pound...

Out of curiousity, have you ever gotten the EPA range on any vehicle? Personally, I have not, but have gotten close at times when the wind was in my favor or I closely followed an 18-wheeler on the highway. When I purchased this vehicle, I was impressed with the range as well, knowing that realistically if I got 400 miles between charges I would be pleased. Truthfully, I cannot drive that distance without a pitstop anyway.

I view the cameras as a convenience, but not a substitute for taking responsibility behind the wheel. Relying on the cameras to keep from hitting things, might be an indicator it's time to forgo your license.

As to the carpets, I have always added scotchguard or some other protection in my vehicles, and this one is no different, though I did do a bit more research as to the availabilty of products out there for selection. Early on this site posted suggestions on a MotorTrend mat (rubber) and I was quick to order so that I could preseve the carpet until I had the chance to have the protection applied. You may want to consider the Opti-coat products. They guarantee 3 years of no stains. Though it may be too late now if the condition is as bleak as you state.

This was a major purchase decision in our household, and while I am hoping for improvements in the software, it alone, has not diminished my pleasure in driving this car. I have no regrets whatsoever.

I gotta admit, that story resonated with me. They have tow trucks at O'Hare with sleds on arms that slip under the tires of parallel-parked cars. They arrive about 30 seconds after the traffic cop calls them, and their work is done in 30 seconds more. Then it's Uber to the pound...

I remember O'Hare oh so well, having lived in Chicago eight years before moving to Florida.

I never left the car, and the whole episode was over in probably no more time that some families spend hugging and saying goodbye at the curb. What most threw me was that the earlier glitches I experienced with the key fob had disappeared after a software update. The car had consistently unlocked and presented the handles as soon as I entered the garage (where the Lucid is parked four bays away from the door) or when approaching it in a parking lot. That's why I'm assuming it was a one-off burp in the software, as it has not happened since.

There are literally thousands of posts on this forum with other owners reporting their experiences. If you are really interested in hearing from others, just pick some threads on topics that interest you and peruse them.

Almost everyone has had some problems with their Airs, ranging from minor one-offs to recurring issues of more significance. However, this is the case on every one of the many car forums I've followed over the years.

However, a general consensus seems to have formed about the Air on several points:

1. The software was not ready for prime time. It is improving, although more slowly than some owners hoped/expected.

2. As a driving machine, the car has very few peers among sports sedans.

3. The passenger experience in terms of room and comfort is very good. There are mixed views on interior noise and ride quality, with more sporting owners thinking the car is good in those regards and more luxury-oriented owners thinking they've experienced better.

4. Some owners are consistently getting closer to EPA range ratings than others, but almost everyone agrees that no other EV can go anywhere near as far in similar driving conditions.

5. Fit and finish is good, especially for a new model from a new company, but not perfect.

Personally speaking, I am on my second Tesla Model S (currently a 2021 Plaid) and have owned many luxury cars (Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar) and sports cars (3 Audi R8s, Corvette, Mercedes SLR McLaren). The Lucid Air Dream Edition is the best overall combination of incredible power, great handling, comfort, style, and features I have ever owned.

And, at 5600 miles, our carpets look just fine after a quick vacuuming.
You really got me when you noted your satisfaction in light of the cars that you have previously owned. My old R8 was such an exciting car and I still miss it. I couldn’t live with it as a daily driver and found my Panamera GTS a great compromise, since I have lots of passengers. After test driving the GT, I’m already convinced that it is a big step up from my Panamera.

I know there is a lot of frustration about the software and I’m sure I will have a similar frustrations. However, I currently drive a $100k+ car with all the bells and whistles. While I have all the cool stuff, I still pop in my AirPods and put on Waze every time I get in the car. As long as the lucid drives like a bat out of hell, feels great and looks bad ass while doing it, I can be patient with the software journey.

Last edited:
You can get an EQS I think thats the only EV that gets the estimated EPA range or higher. Estimate is 350mi and some get testing they got close to 400mi. Maybe the Taycan too at less than 300mi. Also if you got black flooring and seats it'll just be as dirty as white color, it just won't be as visible.
Just for reference, the EQS 580+ went up $7500 without ANY announcement from M-B. Dealer was “shocked” to learn when I told him the news. Aside from that, the delays are massive, the cars are arriving without key options (customers freaking) and so on. So, at about the same price, I’d take the Air GT and not only get 50% more range but also a vehicle that, except for the Citroen DS of yonder, there is no other vehicle that comes close in technology and efficiency. Teething pains are inevitable, but there is no manufacturer who has figured out a flawless assembly procedure. Including much vaunted Toyota/Lexus, and not to mention Tesla in the first years of production.

I just take issue with the range comment. Nobody “promises” anything. It clearly states “up to” next to the range. 477 miles is 95% of that 504..not only that, a DE-R is 520 or 481 with 21” wheels, DE-P is 471 or 451 with 21” wheels, not sure where the 504 comes from..if you have a DE-R on 19” you still have achieved 92% of epa range, which once again, is not “promised.” I don’t have the same experience with the surround camera on my AGT, takes about 20 seconds, and yes, a software update can fix it. For people with $180k buying a first companies first car, not sure why you would expect perfection, many other options out there for the price. Maybe not an EV, but you have to know there are going to be bumps in the road, but the range certainly isn’t one of them.

Out of curiousity, have you ever gotten the EPA range on any vehicle? Personally, I have not, but have gotten close at times when the wind was in my favor or I closely followed an 18-wheeler on the highway. When I purchased this vehicle, I was impressed with the range as well, knowing that realistically if I got 400 miles between charges I would be pleased. Truthfully, I cannot drive that distance without a pitstop anyway.

I view the cameras as a convenience, but not a substitute for taking responsibility behind the wheel. Relying on the cameras to keep from hitting things, might be an indicator it's time to forgo your license.

As to the carpets, I have always added scotchguard or some other protection in my vehicles, and this one is no different, though I did do a bit more research as to the availabilty of products out there for selection. Early on this site posted suggestions on a MotorTrend mat (rubber) and I was quick to order so that I could preseve the carpet until I had the chance to have the protection applied. You may want to consider the Opti-coat products. They guarantee 3 years of no stains. Though it may be too late now if the condition is as bleak as you state.

This was a major purchase decision in our household, and while I am hoping for improvements in the software, it alone, has not diminished my pleasure in driving this car. I have no regrets whatsoever.
My Cayenne S is rated 18 city/22 hwy/20 average. My lifetime mileage (7500 miles) is 18.6 mpg, and I don't drive a lot of hwy miles.

Never having had a EV, I was surprised that people here weren't disappointed to get 70-80% of EPA

I just take issue with the range comment. Nobody “promises” anything. It clearly states “up to” next to the range. 477 miles is 95% of that 504..not only that, a DE-R is 520 or 481 with 21” wheels, DE-P is 471 or 451 with 21” wheels, not sure where the 504 comes from..if you have a DE-R on 19” you still have achieved 92% of epa range, which once again, is not “promised.” I don’t have the same experience with the surround camera on my AGT, takes about 20 seconds, and yes, a software update can fix it. For people with $180k buying a first companies first car, not sure why you would expect perfection, many other options out there for the price. Maybe not an EV, but you have to know there are going to be bumps in the road, but the range certainly isn’t one of them.
Wait until people find out the 1,111 Hp on DE P is PEAK horsepower only in sprint mode with launch preconditioning and that the DE P is probably giving you way less HP than “promised”!!!

This site has been very friendly from the start. I hope it does not turn into the Tesla site where anyone who states even minor problems is viciously attacked or degraded. We can honestly discuss where Lucid has fallen short and how to address these problems without getting nasty or personal.
I swear that was exactly what I was going to post. I haven't been on this site in a while and after reading some of the responses, good grief, it does sound just like the Tesla fanboy site. I saw this evolving back several months ago and I suspect it's almost inevitable for any dedicated car enthusiast site. People get defensive and feel a need to justify their purchasing decision. That's fine if it's done in a cordial way. I haven't seen much of this on the BMW i4 site...yet.

I haven't spent much time here because I recently took delivery of the BMW i4. I have had no issues with software to this point, the screen is incredible and extremely responsive, everything fires up almost immediately, the car handles fantastically and I have no real complaints other than a niggle here and there.

All cars have pros & cons and a new car company is not for the faint of heart. I still haven't asked for a refund of my deposit since I don't expect a call on solidifying my Pure January 21 reservation for another 3-6 months. By that time I would certainly hope the major software issues would be resolved. If I continue to have such a positive vibe from the i4, I will then cancel the reservation. The deposit is so small it's of no concern anyway.

Great point about the ANY EV. I think previous EV owners are going to tend to be a lot more forgiving than people coming from traditional auto makers. Mostly because EVs do tend to improve over time, unlike traditional cars, where what you drive off the lot is the car you end up selling 10 years later, in terms of software, etc. Of course, there's no guarantee Lucid is going to fix these things soon, but there's just more hope when you've lived OTA updates for a while.

I do think there's a tendency for some folks to view their past experiences with Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and so on with a bit of Rose-colored glasses. Just natural to forget the pains of a few years back vs. a real issue you are facing today with your current car. I've owned enough German cars to remember the service nightmares and constant expenses. My Tesla, in contrast, has cost me nothing but windshield washer fluid and tires over the last three years. I expect my Lucid to be similar.

Well...I have a semi electric BMW (530e PHEV) and it has had a couple of warranty items (an auto grille issue and a bad cell which led to an entirely new battery pack a few months ago). Other than that in 4+ years it has been rock solid.

What you’re reading as defensiveness is actually just realism. I don’t agree with jumping on someone to be mean, but when someone at a restaurant berates the wait staff because despite the lamb chops being super tasty, the soda was too diluted, the knife didn’t cut well enough, the tablecloth was off white rather than white, etc. - it can come off very entitled.

People are more than welcome to state their problems, obviously - the car is not perfect. I think it’s about *how* it was stated that came off as a bit ridiculous, not that the car is impervious to flaws.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound harsh, there’s plenty of legitimate complaints about the car, all of which Lucid is working on. Is the car perfect? No. But come on, 45 second surround camera time (it’s not that slow), and 477 miles on a charge is way beyond first world problems.
I think if someone spends $180k they have a right to high expectations. Calling someone entitled is what will make this forum a gatekeeping cesspool.

Wait until people find out the 1,111 Hp on DE P is PEAK horsepower only in sprint mode with launch preconditioning and that the DE P is probably giving you way less HP than “promised”!!!
Oh, come on---Peter has been touting breaking the 500 Mile Barrier to every camera and microphone he can find. In Sales & Marketing, that's a "promise". ( Certainly not in a legal sense.)

Oh, come on---Peter has been touting breaking the 500 Mile Barrier to every camera and microphone he can find. In Sales & Marketing, that's a "promise". ( Certainly not in a legal sense.)

And it can be hit, on the range edition, when driving it to hit it, as we’ve seen.

I think if someone spends $180k they have a right to high expectations. Calling someone entitled is what will make this forum a gatekeeping cesspool.
High expectations are fine. It’s also fine to be disappointed. It’s also fine to hate the car!

That doesn’t mean someone isn’t entitled, though. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back