Aluminum and rubber dead pedal

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
I’ve had this idea rolling around in my head to get an aluminum and rubber dead pedal replacement machined for the cheap plastic piece that currently serves that function. Basically the idea is to take 3/16 or 1/4 stock aluminum and mill out using a CAD/CAM program the lucid logo and the dark areas on the template about 1/2 way into the stock. Then insert and glue rubber strips into that groove that would rise above the aluminum about 1/4 inch. The logo I would fill with grey epoxy or if I wanted to get fancy use some 3M self adhesive open faced walnut to match my interior to be just under level into the letters. Before assembly I would probably do a little sandblast of the aluminum to give it the soft burnished look of the aluminum in the interior. I would also radius the foot just a bit where it kicks out. For attachment I think the exposed metal areas underneath would work for some sheet Velcro cut to size and would be about as thick as the existing carpet. Any thoughts on the design or is anyone interested if I get some pricing I may make more than one, certainly cheaper to run a small batch. This is just a rough concept at this point

Attachments

• 511E4D58-60E1-4652-96DC-F8A4023CC963.jpeg
    511E4D58-60E1-4652-96DC-F8A4023CC963.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 364
  • 1A035DA3-5465-4CCE-88A3-928B1D9DDB34.jpeg
    1A035DA3-5465-4CCE-88A3-928B1D9DDB34.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 349
I’ve had this idea rolling around in my head to get an aluminum and rubber dead pedal replacement machined for the cheap plastic piece that currently serves that function. Basically the idea is to take 3/16 or 1/4 stock aluminum and mill out using a CAD/CAM program the lucid logo and the dark areas on the template about 1/2 way into the stock. Then insert and glue rubber strips into that groove that would rise above the aluminum about 1/4 inch. The logo I would fill with grey epoxy or if I wanted to get fancy use some 3M self adhesive open faced walnut to match my interior to be just under level into the letters. Before assembly I would probably do a little sandblast of the aluminum to give it the soft burnished look of the aluminum in the interior. I would also radius the foot just a bit where it kicks out. For attachment I think the exposed metal areas underneath would work for some sheet Velcro cut to size and would be about as thick as the existing carpet. Any thoughts on the design or is anyone interested if I get some pricing I may make more than one, certainly cheaper to run a small batch. This is just a rough concept at this point
Yes, and a replacement for the actual pedals also. Sign me up!

I would also buy this if you can fabricate more of them. I like the design idea described.

I’m in if you fabricate some.

+1

Count me in.

I’ll keep you all posted as I progress.

I love how this forum is full of various wizards who have a solution/in depth knowledge of some technical topic related to the car.

I'll second that but it's obvious that most of the adopters here are either technology oriented use to alpha and beta testing or just our basic masochists I believe the latter it's going to be a good ride for all of us I'm sure over time...

This is a sexy idea, and when my car finally arrives, I’ll come back here for sure

I'm in, and if I never get the car I will have something to put on my credenza that will remind me of the G note I pisssed away on a "Dream" 😂

any update on this? I'd be interested in something like this.

My usual supplier of rubber strips no longer carries any thing that is considered hard rubber in the appropriate size, it’s all spongy. I have then got sidetracked with work and a bunch of nuisance things( both central air at home and office went south, painting the house, etc) so I’m looking at other companies to supply the hard strips in fits and starts. It will take a bit longer than I anticipated as life got in the way

Did you use Vcarve for this project?

Back