Already installed NEMA 14/50 with GFCI

BaldViking

Cars
Air Touring
with the advice of my sales rep I had the NEMA 14/50 installed, but code requires the GFCI. I just learned that doesn’t play well with the Lucid charging system. What do I do now, since the electrician won’t be allowed to remove the GFCI. There is a 50A breaker in the sub panel, which should suffice I believe. Anyone have a solution?

with the advice of my sales rep I had the NEMA 14/50 installed, but code requires the GFCI. I just learned that doesn’t play well with the Lucid charging system. What do I do now, since the electrician won’t be allowed to remove the GFCI. There is a 50A breaker in the sub panel, which should suffice I believe. Anyone have a solution?
Have the electrician remove the receptacle, hardwire the charging station (the LCHCS isn't designed to be plugged in anyway), and change the breaker to a non-GFCI. GFCI is only required because of the receptacle. With hardwiring, a non-GFCI breaker meets code.

Your sales rep gave you inappropriate information.

Have the electrician remove the receptacle, hardwire the charging station (the LCHCS isn't designed to be plugged in anyway), and change the breaker to a non-GFCI. GFCI is only required because of the receptacle. With hardwiring, a non-GFCI breaker meets code.

Your sales rep gave you inappropriate information.
Sorry, I should have stated that I’m not using the charging station, just the cable/brick that came with the car.

Sorry, I should have stated that I’m not using the charging station, just the cable/brick that came with the car.
You could try it and see if it happens to work with your particular GFCI breaker. It may work all of the time, not at all, or something in between. But it won't damage anything.

I would suggest having the electrician come back out and replace the GCFI Breaker and 14-50 outlet. I would also make sure the screws that terminate the wires are tighten to spec. I assume the 14-50 outlet is a EV rated heavy duty outlet.

You could also try a different cable/brick to make sure the issue isn't with the one that came with the car. If you can't borrow one, you can get one from Amazon.

Back