• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

AGT meets Cybertruck!

AustinAir

Cars
Kia ev6
I was driving home after a dinner meeting, got honked at by a CYBERTRUCK

Took a video of my interaction… even did a little quick “race” at the end.

I can’t imagine there’s many Cybertruck sightings from the vantage point of a lucid, eh?

Looking at the brake lights in this video, I don’t see it as a big deal. It’s pretty clear to me when the brakes are on vs off.

Sure, it’s odd. But a lot of cars have weird lighting issues these days.

The bigger concern I have is it seems very difficult to see around that thing. I would not enjoy being stuck in traffic behind one of these. No idea what’s happening ahead.

Looking at the brake lights in this video, I don’t see it as a big deal. It’s pretty clear to me when the brakes are on vs off.

Sure, it’s odd. But a lot of cars have weird lighting issues these days.
Were you referring to the Cybertruck? I too was confused why the media was trashing the brake lights as confusing, its common fare to treat turn signals like that.

The bigger concern I have is it seems very difficult to see around that thing. I would not enjoy being stuck in traffic behind one of these. No idea what’s happening ahead.
You could also say the same thing about any lifted truck though...

I will say it’s easy to tell when it’s on / off. The headlights are iconic. The tail lights look a bit ugly to me but I’m not a designer so…

Teslas gonna sell a boatload of those things. Something close to 2 million pre-orders.

Probably the ugliest vehicle ever conceived since the Edsel. IMHO. After the initial teenage boy fantasy thing fades, the design will not age well. By contrast, the Tesla S still looks really good after 12 years with relatively minor refreshes.

Teslas gonna sell a boatload of those things. Something close to 2 million pre-orders.
They will sell a lot, but the issue for them is production ramp up. In addition, I expect a significant amount of the 2 million to be cancelled or people who got another truck already. Dont forget, it was 4 years back and most people will wait another year or three...

….So if they have 2 million reservations and 60% drop off they’re still going to have close to 800K orders. I don’t really consider that a low volume product lol, it will probably take three or four years to fill the existing orders that commit plus how many new orders will they get once people see it?
I think the truck is ugly but in a cool way, and there seems to be a lot of buzz about it. I’m sure they’ll have no problem selling as many as they can make.

Don’t believe everything the Musk PR machine says. I predict Tesla will make 20,000 units per year of Cybertruck and will cancel production in probably 6-7 years.

Only if they can sell at $40k and no quality/production issues.....dont see that happening. The steel will be very reflective in sunlight and get very hot to touch. Another Tesla gimmick like the yoke.

Only if they can sell at $40k and no quality/production issues.....dont see that happening. The steel will be very reflective in sunlight and get very hot to touch. Another Tesla gimmick like the yoke.
They aren’t going to sell it for 40 K entry level will probably be 60-65K and they will still have 800,000 orders to fill. They aren’t gonna price it under a MY. People drive around in full chrome reflective wraps without issues.

Last edited:
I get if you don’t like it, a lot of people don’t. However, saying that it have low production is detached from any semblance of reality.
Maybe you are right. Maybe I am right. Time will tell.

The pre-orders for Cybertruck came in when Musk advertised very very low prices. He did the same thing with the 3, advertised at $25k but most sold for closer to $50k. Since the 2019 Cybertruck announcement at $40k we have experienced massive inflation and supply chain challenges. Based on Musk’s history, the average selling price will be twice that number. Easy.

The optimal resource allocation is to maximize production of the vehicles with the highest incremental profit contribution.

Cybertruck will be very high cost, really large battery, really challenging and high cost metalworking required with the materials being utilized, very unique and unproven structural engineering, and other challenges. So costs will be astronomical and production will be really hard to scale. It will be negative gross margin for years.

At some point, Musk will unveil the next new bright shiney thing and people will flock to that. That’s what he does and he does it really well.

So, my perspective may be much closer to reality than you think.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I am right. Time will tell.

The pre-orders for Cybertruck came in when Musk advertised very very low prices. He did the same thing with the 3, advertised at $25k but most sold for closer to $50k. Since the 2019 Cybertruck announcement at $40k we have experienced massive inflation and supply chain challenges. Based on Musk’s history, the average selling price will be twice that number. Easy.

The optimal resource allocation is to maximize production of the vehicles with the highest incremental profit contribution.

Cybertruck will be very high cost, really large battery, really challenging and high cost metalworking required with the materials being utilized, very unique and unproven structural engineering, and other challenges. So costs will be astronomical and production will be really hard to scale. It will be negative gross margin for years.

At some point, Musk will unveil the next new bright shiney thing and people will flock to that. That’s what he does and he does it really well.

So, my perspective may be much closer to reality than you think.
Well, that’s a bad example seeing how the model 3 is selling..

Back