Aero inserts on 21 rims

I

Perhaps instead we can use this opportunity to praise Lucid for its fantastic warranty service. Coming to my home to change a tire…that’s impressive.
Yeah, the rep at the NYC studio told me the same thing happened recently to an owner in NJ. I’d rather not need a service, but it is reassuring they’re so responsive and accommodating.

No issues for me after 3700 miles...lol how long are these tires supposed to last anyways? Also SoCal roads are typically a bit better maintained..

No issues for me after 3700 miles...lol how long are these tires supposed to last anyways? Also SoCal roads are typically a bit better maintained..
Wow you drive a lot! My car has 450 miles on it. Now Lucid service is texting me asking for pictures of the rim. There is no rim damage, but they seem interested in determining whether the bulges are occurring when we hit potholes or something. Personally, in 20 years of living in Denver and driving on Denver pothole streets, I have never had a "bulge" appear in a tire...including all three of my Model S's with 21" wheels/tires.

Bob, if you haven't already, this should be on the delivery inspection list!

Wow you drive a lot! My car has 450 miles on it. Now Lucid service is texting me asking for pictures of the rim. There is no rim damage, but they seem interested in determining whether the bulges are occurring when we hit potholes or something. Personally, in 20 years of living in Denver and driving on Denver pothole streets, I have never had a "bulge" appear in a tire...including all three of my Model S's with 21" wheels/tires.

Bob, if you haven't already, this should be on the delivery inspection list!
paging @SaratogaLefty to add it to the list! I think Lucid might start second guessing trusting Pirelli, but my guess is that after doing an inspection they will just place the cost on Pirelli's shoulders for a tire defect...

I have EXACTLY the same issue, which I just noticed today: a grape-sized bulge on the sidewall of the drivers-side front tire. I called service and they are coming to my home tomorrow to replace it. The CS guy said another owner had called today with the same issue, and then he drove the car and the tire blew (!). I think all 21” owners need to know about this because it sounds as though Pirelli made a defective tire.
A tire failing is a serious issue. I would like to hear from someone with a tire failure directly. Anyone?

paging @SaratogaLefty to add it to the list! I think Lucid might start second guessing trusting Pirelli, but my guess is that after doing an inspection they will just place the cost on Pirelli's shoulders for a tire defect...
I just hand washed my car yesterday. I have about 750 miles on the car. Didn't notice any tire bulges. Not sure it needs to be added to the list??

Is it the consensus that the inserts should be removed on the 21" DE wheels to avoid scratching? I am taking delivery tomorrow and will have the service center remove them before delivery.

Is it the consensus that the inserts should be removed on the 21" DE wheels to avoid scratching? I am taking delivery tomorrow and will have the service center remove them before delivery.
Yes. No announcement has been made or anything yet, but consensus on the board is that the inserts can cause scratching of the wheels, so rather remove them just to be safe unless you really *need* the range.

I definitely would unless you plan to have them on all the time. Otherwise if you aren't sure, take them off and then put them back on later of you want them on.

With the current insert design I think wear to the finish of rim is inevitable. They need to be always off or always on.

With the current insert design I think wear to the finish of rim is inevitable. They need to be always off or always on.
I've decided always on. I like the look with them on and off seems a little incomplete to me. Maybe if the rotors were painted it would look better?

What would really complete the look is finding a place to drill the rotors or replace them with a new set that are drilled.

In Car and Drivers review they had several fly off during their high speed runs. Admittedly they were doing 173 but they did not indicate when they came off (140? 160?). How many of us will be driving at that speed? Even so this is another example of why reinvent the wheel, pun intended

In Car and Drivers review they had several fly off during their high speed runs. Admittedly they were doing 173 but they did not indicate when they came off (140? 160?). How many of us will be driving at that speed? Even so this is another example of why reinvent the wheel, pun intended
I would have said “none of us will ever reach those speeds,” but I’m not convinced of that - I hit 118 mph the other day just accelerating to go from far right to far left lane on I-25 in Denver. I wouldn’t want those covers flying off. How much range are they really going to add?

They were unable to polish it out on my car, I’m now waiting for corporate to decide what to do.

Back