Aero inserts on 21 rims

That's odd. But, I'm not sure how an in-out movement contributes to the wheel scratching since the outer edge of the inserts do not contact the inside wheel area in question. My inserts have never moved, but all of the wheels are scratched!?
Even if the insert is not visibly loose. Dirt gets between the insert and the rim. Then movement of the insert makes that dirt act like sandpaper on the rim surface.

I very seriously doubt this will be isolated to only one or only a few set of rims. The issue is with the design of the inserts. I'm really starting to like the GT 21" rim design.
Yea..the GT insertless Aero wheels seems good..like really good. But the DEs with the aero inserts off looks so good to me...I wonder if they will offer to swap for you? Would you do it?

I very seriously doubt this will be isolated to only one or only a few set of rims. The issue is with the design of the inserts. I'm really starting to like the GT 21" rim design.
It is possible that two items exist at the same time: inserts that loosen, and grit scarring the wheel surface.

Even if the insert is not visibly loose. Dirt gets between the insert and the rim. Then movement of the insert makes that dirt act like sandpaper on the rim surface.
But, you would expect scarring on the edge of the insert. I don't believe that has been observed. That is why I suspect the insert contributes to an aerodynamic when in place that does not exist when they are not in place.

Yea..the GT insertless Aero wheels seems good..like really good. But the DEs with the aero inserts off looks so good to me...I wonder if they will offer to swap for you? Would you do it?
I would swap. If I have an insert fly off while driving, I will then remove them all and ask for replacement. If Lucid agrees to a replacement, I would go for the GT rim over the DE with inserts. I do like the DE rims without the inserts in. I think you made a good choice.

It is possible that two items exist at the same time: inserts that loosen, and grit scarring the wheel surface.
Without the inserts moving around, dirt would just accumulate on the rim, without causing damage. Same as every other rim that does not have an insert. All rims get dirty, not all rims get damaged.

Without the inserts moving around, dirt would just accumulate on the rim, without causing damage. Same as every other rim that does not have an insert. All rims get dirty, not all rims get damaged.
Agreed, when the inserts are off. My only question is what the heck is happening with the inserts in place; namely, are the inserts actually making contact with the grit and forcing the scarring, or is their presence changing the airflow dynamic in the gap space? I am leaning toward the latter, since there is no reported damage to the edges of the inserts.

Let's see what Lucid says about this.

Agreed, when the inserts are off. My only question is what the heck is happening with the inserts in place; namely, are the inserts actually making contact with the grit and forcing the scarring, or is their presence changing the airflow dynamic in the gap space? I am leaning toward the latter, since there is no reported damage to the edges of the inserts.

Let's see what Lucid says about this.
I am confident it is the insert moving that applies the necessary force. It is the mass moving in and out, even if the insert mass is low and it is only moving a little, it is much different than airflow over a surface.

I am confident it is the insert moving that applies the necessary force. It is the mass moving in and out, even if the insert mass is low and it is only moving a little, it is much different than airflow over a surface.
But, no comparable damage to the inserts? I'll throw in my hypothesis of a low pressure dynamic that actually sucks the grit in against the inside wheel surface. Remove the insert and eliminate the low pressure zone.

Anyone with 19" wheels removed the unitary cover to see if those wheels are scratched?

But, no comparable damage to the inserts? I'll throw in my hypothesis of a low pressure dynamic that actually sucks the grit in against the inside wheel surface. Remove the insert and eliminate the low pressure zone.

Anyone with 19" wheels removed the unitary cover to see if those wheels are scratched?
No one said there was not comparable damage on the inside of the insert. It is just that no one gives a shit if the inside of the insert is damaged. I pulled an insert at random and picture is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 132
I had a "grape" sized area the was bulging out on the drivers front which was pointed out by the Lucid service team out to trouble shoot the Frunk operation.

I scheduled to have the tire changed, but also, discussed with the Costa Mesa service team that 1. This is San Diego and very few pot holes. 2. There was no damage to the rim. 3. There was no other visible damage to the tire. A claim was submitted to Pirelli and the tire was covered. Regardless of if it is covered or not, I would schedule a replacement.
I have EXACTLY the same issue, which I just noticed today: a grape-sized bulge on the sidewall of the drivers-side front tire. I called service and they are coming to my home tomorrow to replace it. The CS guy said another owner had called today with the same issue, and then he drove the car and the tire blew (!). I think all 21” owners need to know about this because it sounds as though Pirelli made a defective tire.

The Lucid is a very heavy car, with very high performance. I had this same issue with a BMW B7 in 2010. The car was just too high performance, and too heavy for the tire. I have been happy with the Pirellis overall. My opinion will change if I have more tires fail.

You guys must really be putting the car through the paces...

You guys must really be putting the car through the paces...
I have been lucky. I have never had a tire fail big while cornering. All my failures are from hitting something in the road at speed, but hitting something that is not an issue for a lighter car, or a tire with more sidewall. Low profile tire and a heavy car is a very difficult engineering challenge.

The Lucid is a very heavy car, with very high performance. I had this same issue with a BMW B7 in 2010. The car was just too high performance, and too heavy for the tire. I have been happy with the Pirellis overall. My opinion will change if I have more tires fail.
I thought those Pirellis were specifically designed for the Air. Hmmm, not good news. Will check mine tomorrow.

I thought those Pirellis were specifically designed for the Air. Hmmm, not good news. Will check mine tomorrow.
The tire on the 2010 BMW B7 was a car specific tire as well. "Lucid drivers" are driving a car that has "super car" performance, while being as heavy as a full sized SUV. Everyone has their own areas where they are "give or take". I have been very harsh with Lucid on some items. Not this one. I understand fully, that someone else can be highly tuned to this, and less so to items that drive me crazy. It is a valid concern. I don't think I did anything outside of "normal" driving and had a tire with a defect.

The tire on the 2010 BMW B7 was a car specific tire as well. "Lucid drivers" are driving a car that has "super car" performance, while being as heavy as a full sized SUV. Everyone has their own areas where they are "give or take". I have been very harsh with Lucid on some items. Not this one. I understand fully, that someone else can be highly tuned to this, and less so to items that drive me crazy. It is a valid concern. I don't think I did anything outside of "normal" driving and had a tire with a defect.
I agree with @Bill55. Lucid asked them to design a tire and they did. It's not like Pirelli is some no name startup. 🤣

I agree with @Bill55. Lucid asked them to design a tire and they did. It's not like Pirelli is some no name startup. 🤣
Just surprised by this "hardware" issue. Hope it is not prevalent, like the 21" wheel scratches with the inserts in place.

Are the P-Zeros really that specific for Lucid though? Pirelli makes a whole range of EV P-Zeros, they’re probably all similar but just different labels. Tire problems are HUGE in Rhode Island, roads in Ukraine right now are probably in better shape, I don’t know if I trust these Pirellis. The OE Michelins that came with my Mercedes are outstanding. I ran over a massive road construction nail last week, I had the dealer assess thinking I’d need a new tire, but they were able pull the nail out and it was six inches long and the internal wall of the tire was so strong the nail bent flat rather than causing a puncture, had no air loss! I could probably drive these over a police nail barricade. Meanwhile Pirelli P-Zero side wall bubbles with normal driving? I’d be pissed.

Back