Aero inserts on 21 rims

Last edited:
Well, I suspect the DE Post-Delivery Honeymoon is advancing rapidly from the horizon.

If that’s the worst of our issues I’ll be extremely happy :)

Also, boy am I glad I popped those off basically immediately. They look way better, and for range I’ve got the 19s.

Just took all 20 Aero covers of my DE for a detail and found the same thing. Significant scratches under every cover. Service was very responsive to issue and will be setting me up with a wheel refinish to repair the cosmetic issues. They didn't admit to any design flaws, but said they will socialize the problem and get back to me.

Its a bummer, because I like the Aero covers look although I don't think I will be able to put them back on after the refinish work. I think the Aero covers will get faded and tarnished pretty quickly themselves, so I'd rather keep the raw wheel in good shape.

Yea...wonder if they can do that for me as well...totally a design flaw unless you were warned ahead of time to remove them *cough*

I had the driver front tire replaced (covered by Pirelli) and all 5 of the lug covers have fallen off. Also, I removed one of the aero covers showing off the difference to the rims. It appears that road grime / grit gets between the inserts and the rims. This grit then works on the finish of the rim. Also, after putting that cover back on noticed another was not fully seated. Check all 25 found 10 that were no longer fully seated. I had a hood trim piece on order due to imperfection in the paint, Lucid is going to replace that piece this week and provide new lug covers.
Bill, can you tell me more about the tire Pirelli replaced? What was the problem? I ask because I just noticed a bulge on the sidewall of one of my front tires…

Bill, can you tell me more about the tire Pirelli replaced? What was the problem? I ask because I just noticed a bulge on the sidewall of one of my front tires…
I had a "grape" sized area the was bulging out on the drivers front which was pointed out by the Lucid service team out to trouble shoot the Frunk operation.

I scheduled to have the tire changed, but also, discussed with the Costa Mesa service team that 1. This is San Diego and very few pot holes. 2. There was no damage to the rim. 3. There was no other visible damage to the tire. A claim was submitted to Pirelli and the tire was covered. Regardless of if it is covered or not, I would schedule a replacement.

I have noticed my aero covers are getting more and more "loose" over time. I am becoming concerned they could fly off at highway speeds. I have documented the issue with the Costa Mesa team directly and sent my concern to customer care.

I have noticed my aero covers are getting more and more "loose" over time. I am becoming concerned they could fly off at highway speeds. I have documented the issue with the Costa Mesa team directly and sent my concern to customer care.
I had one fly off at some point in the highway and they replaced it for free.

Do you take them on and off often?

I had one fly off at some point in the highway and they replaced it for free.

Do you take them on and off often?
No, I have only taken them off to show people they are removable. All 2000+ miles have been with them on.

I'm the opposite, I've done close to 3900 miles and have only had them on for the first 100-200 miles

I'm the opposite, I've done close to 3900 miles and have only had them on for the first 100-200 miles
That was a very good call. I wish I had taken them off from the start. Although, I think Lucid needs to address the issue that it is an on or off call from the beginning.

That was a very good call. I wish I had taken them off from the start. Although, I think Lucid needs to address the issue that it is an on or off call from the beginning.
I don't think the inserts really move, per se, since their attachment points are fixed. I suspect the problem is a design anomaly that creates a vortex in the space between the insert and the wheel, such that grit is accelerated in that space. There is no damage to the insert surface within that space, only the wheel surface.

I don't think the inserts really move, per se, since their attachment points are fixed. I suspect the problem is a design anomaly that creates a vortex in the space between the insert and the wheel, such that grit is accelerated in that space. There is no damage to the insert surface within that space, only the wheel surface.
The inserts move without question. Mine are becoming looser and looser. I can "knock" them all tight to the rim and 10 miles later 5-10 are sticking out 1/16" to 1/8".

The inserts move without question. Mine are becoming looser and looser. I can "knock" them all tight to the rim and 10 miles later 5-10 are sticking out 1/16" to 1/8".
Yea I wonder if this is isolated to your wheels or not, but I'm guessing they will soon be discovering or already know of this design flaw...

That's odd. But, I'm not sure how an in-out movement contributes to the wheel scratching since the outer edge of the inserts do not contact the inside wheel area in question. My inserts have never moved, but all of the wheels are scratched!?

I very seriously doubt this will be isolated to only one or only a few set of rims. The issue is with the design of the inserts. I'm really starting to like the GT 21" rim design.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 126
Back