A discussion with my sales advisor about Lucid service in remote locales.

stratus

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Lucid air grand touring
I wanted to share with the group my conversation with my sales advisor , where I expressed my concerns about having a brand new , technologically advanced vehicle, basically in the middle of nowhere.
As I have indicated in other threads, I am about 800 miles from the nearest service center. I became concerned about this after reading many posts in which individuals where experiencing significant difficulties , mainly with software. It seems some of those difficulties have required transportation to a service center.
Given my remoteness, I really cannot see that as a regular option.
My sales advisor stressed, on numerous occasions, that Lucid’s priority is to really take care of their early customers and that they are prepared to travel long distances to achieve that goal , including to us insignificant folks who may live in eastern Idaho.
There was no mention of the potential of Lucid getting frustrated or overwhelmed with remote service calls; they indicated that thus far their team had been quite adept at handling the volume of requests.
My sales advisor stressed that many of these problems are or will be addressed through continuing software updates. It was his impression that the number of problems will continue to decrease in the coming months. In addition, it seems the number of hardware issues are minimal ( I guess with the exception of the recall).
In summary, the call did alleviate at least some of my fears, but in reality I still expect to have frustrations.
This information is likely not a surprise to many here, but for those of us far removed from the action, it could potentially provide some solace.

Matt, only you can know how objective (and accurate) your sales advisor was.

Matt, only you can know how objective (and accurate) your sales advisor was.
Absolutely. I believe he was quite sincere and I enjoyed my conversation with him.
It’s tricky because you want to be optimistic but of course, realism can sneak in and ruin the good time. I had considered delaying by several months but I will just stick to the plan and hope for the best.

FWIW: I live about 2.5 hrs from my service center. Not "remote," but far. Lucid has a roaming tech in my state. He happens to live near me. He gave me his personal cell. So far, it's been easy and great with the few service items. Your mileage may vary, but overall, they have been great. Not a sustainable service model, but it works for now.

I wanted to share with the group my conversation with my sales advisor , where I expressed my concerns about having a brand new , technologically advanced vehicle, basically in the middle of nowhere.
As I have indicated in other threads, I am about 800 miles from the nearest service center. I became concerned about this after reading many posts in which individuals where experiencing significant difficulties , mainly with software. It seems some of those difficulties have required transportation to a service center.
My sales advisor stressed, on numerous occasions, that Lucid’s priority is to really take care of their early customers and that they are prepared to travel long distances to achieve that goal , including to us insignificant folks who may live in eastern Idaho.
There was no mention of the potential of Lucid getting frustrated or overwhelmed with remote service calls; they indicated that thus far their team had been quite adept at handling the volume of requests.
My sales advisor stressed that many of these problems are or will be addressed through continuing software updates. It was his impression that the number of problems will continue to decrease in the coming months. In addition, it seems the number of hardware issues are minimal ( I guess with the exception of the recall).
In summary, the call did alleviate at least some of my fears, but in reality I still expect to have frustrations.
This information is likely not a surprise to many here, but for those of us far removed from the action, it could potentially provide some solace.
In two months of ownership and approaching 2k miles, the car has never left me stranded. Something I can't say about our Taycan. Have had lots of PITA software-related issues some of which come and go but not forgotten. The service team is second to none. Having said that, 800 miles adds two days of driving in each direction to the service time equation so it needs to be given serious consideration. I am sure Lucid knows it needs to add additional service centers if they are to compete in the high end EV space.

In two months of ownership and approaching 2k miles, the car has never left me stranded. Something I can't say about our Taycan. Have had lots of PITA software-related issues some of which come and go but not forgotten. The service team is second to none. Having said that, 800 miles adds two days of driving in each direction to the service time equation so it needs to be given serious consideration. I am sure Lucid knows it needs to add additional service centers if they are to compete in the high end EV space.
True, it's just unfortunate logistics that some locations will take MUCH longer to get a service center within reasonable range than others. Sorry @Matt Tannenbaum

I think it's a really hard question to answer from anyone seller since there is a lot of future predictions involved. Maybe consider asking them their firm plans to open service centers closer to you. I think with such a new company issues is expected but not ongoing for years.

I would not get a relatively new vehicle (new car company) while living as far away as the OP does. Not an issue for me as I live close to both the design studio and the service center. But if I lived that far away, I would look at other products where there would be service nearby.

Of course, if you are so remote that you are that far away from everything, then the Lucid seems like the BEST option.

I would not get a relatively new vehicle (new car company) while living as far away as the OP does. Not an issue for me as I live close to both the design studio and the service center. But if I lived that far away, I would look at other products where there would be service nearby.

Of course, if you are so remote that you are that far away from everything, then the Lucid seems like the BEST option.
I hear you. But this is where home is , and I know I am taking a huge risk, but I am willing to take it. Talk to me in 8 months though when I am threatening mass destruction on
the universe .

I think it's a really hard question to answer from anyone seller since there is a lot of future predictions involved. Maybe consider asking them their firm plans to open service centers closer to you. I think with such a new company issues is expected but not ongoing for years.
I did speak with them about that and strongly encouraged them to open one in Salt Lake, which is smack dab in the middle of the mountain west.

True, it's just unfortunate logistics that some locations will take MUCH longer to get a service center within reasonable range than others. Sorry @Matt Tannenbaum
Hoping for the best . Expecting inconveniences , but wishing they will be minimal.

This is great to hear. The sales advisor did stress that most of their vehicles have been without incident.

FWIW: I live about 2.5 hrs from my service center. Not "remote," but far. Lucid has a roaming tech in my state. He happens to live near me. He gave me his personal cell. So far, it's been easy and great with the few service items. Your mileage may vary, but overall, they have been great. Not a sustainable service model, but it works for now.
Fantastic to hear!!

Matt, I also live a decent distance from the nearest service - 400 miles from my location in the Twin Cities to Chicago - and have jumped in with a confirmed GT order. It's not what I would recommend my kids do, but if you've lived a bit, and are aware your good fortune allows you to afford this vehicle, my two cents says it's OK to take the risk. We will not sell the backup ICE car for a bit, so I'm not suggesting being entirely without options. My biggest question is whether there will be a decent snow tire available for the 20" wheels on the GT. I'm not a fan of either the 19 or 21" look, so split the difference...

Matt, I also live a decent distance from the nearest service - 400 miles from my location in the Twin Cities to Chicago - and have jumped in with a confirmed GT order. It's not what I would recommend my kids do, but if you've lived a bit, and are aware your good fortune allows you to afford this vehicle, my two cents says it's OK to take the risk. We will not sell the backup ICE car for a bit, so I'm not suggesting being entirely without options. My biggest question is whether there will be a decent snow tire available for the 20" wheels on the GT. I'm not a fan of either the 19 or 21" look, so split the difference...
Agree with you.
I think it will be fairly easy for you to get good snow tires for the 20s, but I wonder if the weight of the vehicle will limit one’s choices a bit.
I went with the 19s, but I must admit those 20s are beautiful.
Congratulations on getting the vehicle and I hope it is as amazing as we anticipate.

Back