80% Charge range lowering

Shenlon

Cars
Air GT
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed at length, but was curious if anyone has noticed that the estimated miles shown for an 80% charge has been going lower? When I first got the car, whenever I charged to 80%, it always showed 411 miles ('22 Air GT, took delivery end of Oct '22). Starting in middle of May of this year, it would show 410 miles (When I charged to 100% at this time it showed 514 miles when it used to show 516), and now the last few days it is 409. Is this something anyone else has seen? Right now the car has 14,500 miles....it had about 13,500 in May. I haven't tried to charge to 100% since May, but I do have a few road trips coming up this summer, so I'll follow up at that time next time I do.

Also, I have 19in rims.

Last edited:
Isn't the mile estimate based on your average Kwh ? If so, it would change.
It's based off the EPA efficiency x kwh in your battery. That being said, batteries will degrade over time regardless of how many miles have been driven.

On my Pure AWD, the battery is currently at 67% and it predicts 274 miles. That means 100% is 408 miles which is pretty much EPA range. It has
always been that way which is meaningless.

If you navigate using Lucid NAV it predicts a battery % on arrival which seems much closer. This is because we believe that the 2 systems are different in Lucid.
We all got used to using simple math based on our driving patterns. In my case I average 3.6 overall when driving locally a mix of highway and surface streets and the battery is supposed to be 92kWh. The API shows it as 87kWh. I assume that 1% is 3.3 miles. Mental math is to multiply % by 3 and then add 10%. We all have been wishing that the range prediction is based on the past average and the current rate of consumption.

Sounds like good news for the OP. That means that your battery has barely degraded at all. I recently charged my Pure to 100% for the first time after seven months and 8,000 miles, and the range came in at 409 miles vs. the 410 EPA range figure. The smarter battery guys than me (there are many!) may want to weigh in on this, but my guess is that you would arrive at the most accurate degradation figure by charging the car to the max it will accept, as opposed to a certain percent. Anyway, in my case, 409/410 = 99.76%, so less than one-quarter point of degradation. Sounds good to me!

Honestly, I've been impressed with my degradation so far. I've had my GT for 2 years and 2 months. About 18K for mileage.

I have ONLY ever charged it at EA fast chargers (mostly 350s some 150s)as I don't have a home charger. I almost always charge it to 80-85%, roughly every other week.

Last time I charged I did the math and it came in around 512 mile range down from the original 516 rating. It's my first EV so nothing to compare it to but I'm pretty happy.

RichMalden
Assuming free EA charging that’s about $5000 in gas wish I did that but I mostly home charge
I get 515 when 100%

Oh
I have a 2022 GT
15,000 miles
70 % level 2 charging so no real difference

I was wondering this myself. My 2024 AT used to show 303 miles with 80% charge, now it shows 302 miles at 80% charge after the latest OTA update.

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed at length, but was curious if anyone has noticed that the estimated miles shown for an 80% charge has been going lower? When I first got the car, whenever I charged to 80%, it always showed 411 miles ('22 Air GT, took delivery end of Oct '22). Starting in middle of May of this year, it would show 410 miles (When I charged to 100% at this time it showed 514 miles when it used to show 516), and now the last few days it is 409. Is this something anyone else has seen? Right now the car has 14,500 miles....it had about 13,500 in May. I haven't tried to charge to 100% since May, but I do have a few road trips coming up this summer, so I'll follow up at that time next time I do.

Also, I have 19in rims.
I've noticed and been tracking my mileage change as well, since I first got my Touring back at the very end of March 2023. I started with 433 miles at 100% and now am down to 426 miles at 100%.

All: this is normal lithium-ion battery aging, a range degradation that all EVs experience with time. But it's minimal! Very good news.

I've noticed and been tracking my mileage change as well, since I first got my Touring back at the very end of March 2023. I started with 433 miles at 100% and now am down to 426 miles at 100%.
Mine is even more surprising. It was 410 miles at 100% 0 miles. 408 miles 100% 1.5 years 16k miles

I was an early-adopter of plasma tvs.

The scare was "burn =in" ... like when PONG (Atari) rectangles burnt into your analog 13" cathode ray tube screen.
This was a genuine concern...back in the vacuum-tube / rotary phone days
My "90's" 480p / 42" plasma "got old" even though it was still 100 % performing two decades later.......no burn it at all. My point is:

Are we looking for reasons to not like this car ?

Folk: this car is pretty darned perfect. enjoy it.

remember

the useful life of the batteries in our cars will likely far outlast our interest in the car we are currently driving.

I'm hoping they will. I'm putting many more miles on the car than I expected to. I almost want to test it out, but I hate charging to 100%.

I figured there would be some degradation, but seeing how quickly it's been happening last few months was concerning. Especially now it's down to 408 on a 80% charge as of yesterday

I figured there would be some degradation, but seeing how quickly it's been happening last few months was concerning. Especially now it's down to 408 on a 80% charge as of yesterday
That’s 510 at 100%. Thats a 2% degradation. That’s spectacular.

You should expect most degradation to happen in the first year (standard for how batteries work, and across the industry) and then to slow down.

Just did the math on my GT. 15 months of ownership and 23K miles. It's at 400 with a 78% charge. Which makes it 512 at a 100% charge, almost like new!

Back