First Road Trip Range Readings

jbrichar

Cars
2023 Air GT
Embarking on our first road trip, San Diego to Sedona. Charged to 100%, range says 460 miles on AGT. Nav says first charge in Yuma is 195 miles away. Dash says I will have 185 remaining at stop. 80 miles difference in total range. I get it I will never see 460 but this is kind of silly and misleading.

On second thought, maybe it just knows how I drive.. 😅

The miles remaining when using navigation is very accurate. The miles representing SOC is based on EPA. Change your battery SOC display to percent and never look at that number again.

Enjoy Sedona - The EA charger there has the best view of any in the state.

Embarking on our first road trip, San Diego to Sedona. Charged to 100%, range says 460 miles on AGT. Nav says first charge in Yuma is 195 miles away. Dash says I will have 185 remaining at stop. 80 miles difference in total range. I get it I will never see 460 but this is kind of silly and misleading.

On second thought, maybe it just knows how I drive.. 😅
This has been discussed here many times. The advertise range is under ideal conditions and slower speeds. This makes sense because at higher speeds the drag is significantly more. EPA calculations are done at under 50mph! Now, those EPA calculations really need to be revamped but for now that’s what we’ve got. What was your average speed during this trip? Was there a lot of elevation changes? Did you accelerate hard when entering an on ramp? Try the trip again but maintain the slower speed. I know it’s hard with all that horsepower but that will give you the range you desire.

Hopefully the EPA updated numbers will reflect more real world driving conditions and habits.

Hopefully the EPA updated numbers will reflect more real world driving conditions and habits.
They're closer to useful at least... but the real solution is just improving charging infrastructure. I don't know about you, but I hardly ever think about the range of an ICE car. If it's enough to get me between gas stations anywhere I'm realistically going to go, I don't care what sort of benchmarking the EPA is up to. Hopefully the same will be true within the next 5 years for EVs (at least all but the city hoppers) as the charging stations become more widespread and reliable.

They're closer to useful at least... but the real solution is just improving charging infrastructure. I don't know about you, but I hardly ever think about the range of an ICE car. If it's enough to get me between gas stations anywhere I'm realistically going to go, I don't care what sort of benchmarking the EPA is up to. Hopefully the same will be true within the next 5 years for EVs (at least all but the city hoppers) as the charging stations become more widespread and reliable.
Interesting article on this:

It’s totally exactly what you’re saying. Charging is key.

That actually makes the situation look much better than it currently is, which shows part of our problem. If you consider vendor lock-in (Tesla and Rivian chargers) the map gets a lot less pretty. For example, the article points out how West Virginia has relatively few chargers. Truth is, there are zero L3 chargers in WV that aren't locked down Tesla Superchargers. It's a shame, WV has some fantastic mountain roads, but I've had to drive like a grandma to make it out of there with charge to spare. The coming NACS standardization + Tesla/Rivian opening up to other vehicles is going to be a major leap forward for us once it eventually works.

That actually makes the situation look much better than it currently is, which shows part of our problem. If you consider vendor lock-in (Tesla and Rivian chargers) the map gets a lot less pretty. For example, the article points out how West Virginia has relatively few chargers. Truth is, there are zero L3 chargers in WV that aren't locked down Tesla Superchargers. It's a shame, WV has some fantastic mountain roads, but I've had to drive like a grandma to make it out of there with charge to spare. The coming NACS standardization + Tesla/Rivian opening up to other vehicles is going to be a major leap forward for us once it eventually works.
West Virginia would prefer that you run your vehicle on coal.

Then they should line the highways with DCFC! Show me the ICE car that runs on coal. My Lucid will happily take their coal generated electricity.

Then they should line the highways with DCFC! Show me the ICE car that runs on coal. My Lucid will happily take their coal generated electricity.
I think that they want cars to be made to run directly on coal. Like the old railroad engines. Load your trunk with coal and just keep shoveling it in.

this gave me a good laugh
I think that they want cars to be made to run directly on coal. Like the old railroad engines. Load your trunk with coal and just keep shoveling it in.

Right. I will have to divert south to NC to avoid WV on my spring drive east from CO to VA. UFB. Lots of hate for EVs in WV. Not much better in VA.

Right. I will have to divert south to NC to avoid WV on my spring drive east from CO to VA. UFB. Lots of hate for EVs in WV. Not much better in VA.
Not sure what you mean by hate. I drove from MD to CA through VA and I did not feel any hate so to speak and I was able to charge in VA.

This is a severe exaggeration. Don’t let the few screaming idiots keep you away from otherwise decent places. I’ve driven all over rural VA and some in WV in my Lucid without incident. VA has a decent number of working fast chargers, even outside of the NoVA (DC area) bubble, and you’ll enjoy finding several of them conveniently at Sheetz stations (think Wawa) rather than the usual Walmart lots. If you have the juice to go through WV as well I wouldn’t miss it. They’ve got the best twisty mountain roads around.

Not sure what you mean by hate. I drove from MD to CA through VA and I did not feel any hate so to speak and I was able to charge in VA.
I do not know to what I should attribute the complete absence of EA stations in WV, so maybe hate is a bit strong. What do you attribute it to? FWIW, I will be in Williamsburg and the closest EA station is in Newport News over 25 miles away. The next closest ones are to the north and west of Richmond, like 50 miles away. I hope that EA installs some closer to Williamsburg. Of course, I will charge at home, but I was surprised that I will have to divert south to NC on my drive east.

I do not know to what I should attribute the complete absence of EA stations in WV, so maybe hate is a bit strong. What do you attribute it to?
Coal lobbying in politics, plus relatively sparse and low income population meaning low demand, I'd say.

I do not know to what I should attribute the complete absence of EA stations in WV, so maybe hate is a bit strong. What do you attribute it to? FWIW, I will be in Williamsburg and the closest EA station is in Newport News over 25 miles away. The next closest ones are to the north and west of Richmond, like 50 miles away. I hope that EA installs some closer to Williamsburg. Of course, I will charge at home, but I was surprised that I will have to divert south to NC on my drive east.
I see. I did not have to take a detour like that on my drive in VA, TN, AS, OK, NM, TX, AZ, CA At best the detour was 1 to 2 miles from the exit but often barely 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the exit.

Back