First Road Trip Range Readings

Coal lobbying in politics, plus relatively sparse and low income population meaning low demand, I'd say.
Interesting about coal lobbying. CO generates over 37% of its electricity from coal-fired generators, yet has many EA stations. I would think that anything that uses electric energy would be popular in WV, but of course, the per capita income is not high so EV adoption is probably quite low.

I do not know to what I should attribute the complete absence of EA stations in WV, so maybe hate is a bit strong. What do you attribute it to? FWIW, I will be in Williamsburg and the closest EA station is in Newport News over 25 miles away. The next closest ones are to the north and west of Richmond, like 50 miles away. I hope that EA installs some closer to Williamsburg. Of course, I will charge at home, but I was surprised that I will have to divert south to NC on my drive east.

I live in Williamsburg and that's true. Except EVgo just installed a couple DCFC chargers at the Target on Monticello. I have not used them (no need, of course) so I don't know the speed. Hopefully because they are new the speed is good.

DM me if you want restaurant recommendations.

Something to keep in mind when you're thinking about range. In a recent update the car started taking in to account elevation changes when estimating range. I've done a few trips down a big elevation drop recently. The car rightly says I'll arrive with MORE miles than was on the car when it started. Similarly, going on an up hill journey it's going to look bad.

That actually makes the situation look much better than it currently is, which shows part of our problem. If you consider vendor lock-in (Tesla and Rivian chargers) the map gets a lot less pretty. For example, the article points out how West Virginia has relatively few chargers. Truth is, there are zero L3 chargers in WV that aren't locked down Tesla Superchargers. It's a shame, WV has some fantastic mountain roads, but I've had to drive like a grandma to make it out of there with charge to spare. The coming NACS standardization + Tesla/Rivian opening up to other vehicles is going to be a major leap forward for us once it eventually works.
I travel through WV enroute from OH to Winston Alem NC. There are two public L3 chargers at Joe Holland Hyundai in Charleston WV (ChargePoint). It is expensive, but works well

Something to keep in mind when you're thinking about range. In a recent update the car started taking in to account elevation changes when estimating range. I've done a few trips down a big elevation drop recently. The car rightly says I'll arrive with MORE miles than was on the car when it started. Similarly, going on an up hill journey it's going to look bad.

Are you saying that the car was telling you you’d be arriving with more miles, before you even started driving?

This must have come in a recent update, post Christmas, and I didn’t notice it. I drove from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ and back again, over last Christmas weekend. The ending charge level on Lucid navigation didn’t reflect elevation changes then, not that I can remember.

Are you saying that the car was telling you you’d be arriving with more miles, before you even started driving?

This must have come in a recent update, post Christmas, and I didn’t notice it. I drove from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ and back again, over last Christmas weekend. The ending charge level on Lucid navigation didn’t reflect elevation changes then, not that I can remember.
Elevation was added to the miles remaining at destination calculation in 2.0.52 that was released in Feb 2023. It was improved and additional factors were included in the calculation in 2.1.7 that was released in July 2023. It was accurate and active well before your Christmas trip.

It was accurate and active well before your Christmas trip.
Strange, i've only owned my car for a couple months, but i've noticed even the Nav estimate is pretty optimistic (and not very accurate). Whatever it estimates, i can never reach my destination with that amount left. Even when i'm like 3 miles away from my destination it'll give wild and random predictions, like i'm at 258 range with 3 miles to go and it says you will arrive with 258. And sure enough by the time i reach my destination it's actually down to 253 lol.

I have noticed that it DOES estimate lower than EPA, but i don't think it's nearly enough

Strange, i've only owned my car for a couple months, but i've noticed even the Nav estimate is pretty optimistic (and not very accurate). Whatever it estimates, i can never reach my destination with that amount left. Even when i'm like 3 miles away from my destination it'll give wild and random predictions, like i'm at 258 range with 3 miles to go and it says you will arrive with 258. And sure enough by the time i reach my destination it's actually down to 253 lol.

I have noticed that it DOES estimate lower than EPA, but i don't think it's nearly enough
Mine is pretty much exact. How many miles on your car? The efficiency improves (and perhaps the estimation, though I don’t know for sure) after 2-3k miles.

Mine is pretty much exact. How many miles on your car? The efficiency improves (and perhaps the estimation, though I don’t know for sure) after 2-3k miles.

You have a Dream. Your car actually gives you range on par with the EPA/estimates. I wonder if they don't adjust the estimate based on the relative efficiency of the DE/GTP and P/T/GT

You have a Dream. Your car actually gives you range on par with the EPA/estimates. I wonder if they don't adjust the estimate based on the relative efficiency of the DE/GTP and P/T/GT
My Touring is also impressively accurate with the range calculation in navigation assuming I'm not driving like a maniac.

Has nothing to do with the dream. It was accurate on my loaners (GT) as well.

i find it to be pessimistic rather than optimistic, I usually end with two or three miles more than the predicted range at the beginning of the trip.

Accurate on the Pure AWD as well.
Well…I also average 3 miles per kw so maybe I’m well below the expected accuracy. Though it would be nice if it took your average efficiency in to account to give you an estimate.

Back