3 blowouts within a Week

@SunnySide : I feel your pain - time, anxiety, $, etc ... I went thru' a similar issue on Mothers Day, with my wife driving the car, she experienced two immediate blow outs.

Lucid is not willing to accept responsibility. And I'm sorta mentally exhausted asking them more than 3+ times. I have replaced them with 19s (non OEMs from Discount Tire). Did not want the hassle of a future blowout while driving and dealing with Urgently (Lucid's tow partner, which BTW sucks.), etc.

On the positive side, car now shows 520 miles range as opposed to 465 or so.

P.S: I used the tire during winter months (!!! Feb & Mar this year) in PNW. Car is always garaged that has added insulation.
It’s just frustrating because it’s such a time consuming process and just messes so many things up.

The rubber compound in summer tires experiences a process known as "glassification" that begins at temperatures around 45º F. If they are exposed, either on or off the car, to that or lower temperatures for long periods, the process will create microscopic cracks in the tread which become failure points.

The replacement Air we purchased to replace our wrecked Air was shipped down from a Volvo dealer in New Hampshire, where the car spent the winter with 21" summer tires on it, most of the time in a heated showroom. However, on days with dry roads the owner of the dealership sometimes drove the car home. Even though the car only had 5,200 miles on it and the tires looked new, the first thing I did before putting the car on the road when it arrived in Florida was have new tires mounted all around.

No one should drive a car -- especially one as heavy as the Lucid -- on summer tires that have been exposed to near-freezing temperatures. It's about a lot more than snow and ice traction.

The rubber compound in summer tires experiences a process known as "glassification" that begins at temperatures around 45º F. If they are exposed, either on or off the car, to that or lower temperatures for long periods, the process will create microscopic cracks in the tread which become failure points.

The replacement Air we purchased to replace our wrecked Air was shipped down from a Volvo dealer in New Hampshire, where the car spent the winter with 21" summer tires on it, most of the time in a heated showroom. However, on days with dry roads the owner of the dealership sometimes drove the car home. Even though the car only had 5,200 miles on it and the tires looked new, the first thing I did before putting the car on the road when it arrived in Florida was have new tires mounted all around.

No one should drive a car -- especially one as heavy as the Lucid -- on summer tires that have been exposed to near-freezing temperatures. It's about a lot more than snow and ice traction.
But how did all 3 of the rims get damaged in the process

But how did all 3 of the rims get damaged in the process

I lived in Chicago for 8 years and know its streets and tall, sharp parking curbs very well. There's no mystery here.

This does not seem extreme to me.

I bought the Michelin 21 Pilot Sport All Season for the car. Two blowouts within a week on roads that can be rough, but there are not large gaping potholes everywhere. Root cause? Tires were not rated to hold the weight of the Lucid. I, albeit unknowingly, operated the tires outside the recommended usage.

If you don't want damaged rims from blown tires, then you have to follow the advised usage recommendations for the tires. Summer tires are a no go in the colder temperatures. For now, this means buying the 19s that have winter and all season options.

Otherwise, everyone knows what they are getting themselves into with a vehicle at this price point and weight. I know the rims aren't cheap s at $1k a pop. With the 21s, rims should be an accepted part of the maintenance alongside warranty covered tires when the tires do blow. Hopefully they come up with a better solution though , and by they I mean the tire industry, not Lucid.

I will take the science and your response above .... But as a layman driver, after having used a MS on summer tires for 2 years in the PNW, I did not 'see' a need to check/calibrate/replace summer tires within 9 months on my Lucid.

And the funny thing is if I buy a replacement set (wheel & tire) from Lucid and get it installed, they suggest I buy a warranty through Discount Tire. Now, if the tire 'blows out' during winter, it would be Discount Tire responsibility. Not Lucid. A classic textbook read for pa$$ing the buck imo.

AW, for me personally, its behind me now. Lesson learnt.

For the others, rubber to the road always & safe travels. YMMV.

It’s just frustrating because it’s such a time consuming process and just messes so many things up.
Yeah I hear you. The time is crucial not knowing what/when the resolution will be.

AW for me, my disenchantment seed with Lucid is starting to shape. After 9+ months of ownership, with no Android Auto, HERE maps not updated, lack of HA widely, switching profiles for entry/exit to the car, no sentry mode, etc ... and the recent tire situation, I'm getting jaded. The car stills drives FANTASTIC and every time I drive I feel FANTASTIC; but for a $130K+ car, .... Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Cheers & good luck.

And the funny thing is if I buy a replacement set (wheel & tire) from Lucid and get it installed, they suggest I buy a warranty through Discount Tire. Now, if the tire 'blows out' during winter, it would be Discount Tire responsibility. Not Lucid. A classic textbook read for pa$$ing the buck imo.
That’s, uh, a weird way to look at it. All they’re doing is trying to be helpful; they don’t warranty the tires for road hazards or use in cold temperatures, and neither does Pirelli. Discount Tire will; therefore getting insurance through them is helpful to you, but you certainly don’t have to, and Lucid is happy to charge you for swapping on new tires later.

They’re not going to change their warranty policy, but they can definitely point you to a place you can get them warrantied anyway; that is literally the best service can do. Hardly passing the buck 🤷‍♂️

I will take the science and your response above .... But as a layman driver, after having used a MS on summer tires for 2 years in the PNW, I did not 'see' a need to check/calibrate/replace summer tires within 9 months on my Lucid.

I do not know enough about weather conditions in the PNW, and your decision is, of course, yours to make.

I do know Chicago weather, though, and in my years of driving Audi R8's and MB SL55 AMG's in Chicago year round, I always moved to winter-rated tires on smaller-diameter wheels before the end of October. It was a hassle, and I did not like having to resort to such measures with performance vehicles. But I also knew that trying to make do with low-profile summer tires year round in Chicago was folly.

two sets of wheels/tires
a tire rack rack
floor jack/star wrench/ breaker bar and torque wrench
... air pump...
pencil gauge rolling
quarters in the door pocket

@Cosmo Cruz Quarters in the door pocket? That's not a play on Little Feat's: Rocket in my Pocket. Though, while sitting in a Lucid, it could be true...

Well I’m back complaining about my car again. I just want to know if anyone else has also had a similar issue and start a thread addressing this. I think these lucid 21 inch tires are absolute garbage straight garbage. I have had 3 blowouts within a week. My first blowout was May 14th and on that one I do admit I hit a pretty big pothole going relatively fast say around 55-65 on Lake Shore Drive. And immediately my tire pressure sensors went off and said the front left tire was flat I had about .5 miles from my destination so I just drive on it because it was still in frame. Then had the tow arranged to my house and from there had a Mobil unit sent to my house they take off the tire and say my wheel is bent and now they can’t replace the tire without me getting another wheel. Whatever it’s one tire and wheel combo and I hit a pretty big pothole. Lucid tells me that no other tires are damaged and the only tire damaged was the front left. Makes sense right. May 20th my mother was taking it to a local grocery store to charge and get some grocery’s no more then .75 miles from my house. On the way home the back left tire blows while she was going 45 mph no bumps or anything. She was one minute from my house but this time none of the tire sensors came on no psi warning nothing of that nature mom pulls into the drive way Mobil unit is dispatched right away and they say the same thing as last time saying the tires just popped and they can’t replace because wheel is bent and this point I’m a little skeptical that one technician told me that all the other tires are good and then within 2 days or repairing it another tire blows out and it’s wheel needs to be replaced. But it’s fine I just assumed that the technician maybe didn’t look at all the tires and there was a bubble or something gave them a benefit of the the doubt. This time requested that they check all the tires again and make sure there weren’t any bubbles or anything like that and no more wheels were bent. Assured me everything was alright. I get back from my business trip and I’m driving it on May 26th at 4:30 Peak Rush hour here in Chicago basically in a parking lot at this time; stop and go stop and go on 290 East it opens up a little bit and I increase my speed to around 35-45 and all of a sudden no bumps or anything I just feel the car shaking but the car is still steering straight no tire sensors are on nothing if that nature pull the car over within .5 miles notice that my front right tire is completely torn up and was smoking. Called Lucid Tow waiting 90 mins and while the tow truck was towing my car he scratched my frunk I don’t know how he did that but he did. Had it towed and now lucid is asking me to replace that wheel as well and saying I need to replace the sensors and at this point I’m concerned for the safety of this car because if tires keep blowing like this at high speeds it could end up being incredibly dangerous for other people and yourself. So I’m just writing this to see if anyone else has any insight on what’s going on or what I should do now. Because frankly I’m so confused and tired of dealing with all this. If anyone is interested I have pictures of all the tire damages and stuff too if they want to try and diagnose what happened.

Thanks
Sorry about your tire / wheel fiasco. I have replaced 2 tires and wheels on my 21” wheels “hitting potholes” in the last 3 months (one on the Bay Bridge!). For reference, I had a 2015 Tesla
S 85D for 7 years (with 21” wheels) with nary a blowout. I was informed by Lucid rep that I could replace with 20” wheels for $4500. I was also never informed that 21” wheels were so susceptible to being easily ruined.
So…wondering if enough of us speak out, Lucid might do something for us (at least give discount to smaller tires?!).
Jeff Baker

Sorry about your tire / wheel fiasco. I have replaced 2 tires and wheels on my 21” wheels “hitting potholes” in the last 3 months (one on the Bay Bridge!). For reference, I had a 2015 Tesla
S 85D for 7 years (with 21” wheels) with nary a blowout. I was informed by Lucid rep that I could replace with 20” wheels for $4500. I was also never informed that 21” wheels were so susceptible to being easily ruined.
So…wondering if enough of us speak out, Lucid might do something for us (at least give discount to smaller tires?!).
Jeff Baker
I have posted above about my situation and also using 21s on my MS with no blowouts, etc ... Lucid is *not* accepting responsibility imho & asked me to buy a set from them, but get insurance from DT, which is 100% absurd. Essentially not standing by a product they sell. I just moved on.

I have replaced 2 tires and wheels on my 21” wheels “hitting potholes” . . . . I was also never informed that 21” wheels were so susceptible to being easily ruined.

This is from the ordering configurator on the Lucid website:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 3.48.41 PM.png

The 21s that came with my GT-P have a long term residence in my basement
I went with a set of 19s with winter tires in the fall
The roads around Chicago are a mess, no way I am going with the 21s
I got another set of 19s with the all seasons for summer
I wanted a summer tire for the 19s but Lucid doesn’t have one they support (currently)

The 21s that came with my GT-P have a long term residence in my basement
I went with a set of 19s with winter tires in the fall
The roads around Chicago are a mess, no way I am going with the 21s
I got another set of 19s with the all seasons for summer
I wanted a summer tire for the 19s but Lucid doesn’t have one they support (currently)
Lol, that's exactly what I did, buried them in the basement (no cement used :) ).

Don't be afraid, use Michelins.
In my case I'm using Primacy Tour 254/45R19 102W extra load.

It wasn’t fear, it was lack of support, if I blow a tire Lucid doesn’t stock it could delay getting back on the road

It wasn’t fear, it was lack of support, if I blow a tire Lucid doesn’t stock it could delay getting back on the road

Tire Rack sells the OEM Pirellis that come on the Lucid. They can be shipped to most installers in their network in 1-2 days. We've had Tire Choice replace these tires twice (once from hitting a piece of metal in the road and once as part of a routine tire change due to wear), probably as quickly as Lucid would be able to replace them, as they no longer operate a mobile tire van.

We've also had to have a 21" tire replaced on our Model S Plaid. Again, Tire Rack had the Michelin EV tire in stock that Tesla uses. We had it shipped to our house, and a mobile tire repair van (an independent, not from Tesla) replaced the tire the second day after the blowout.

These new EV tires from Pirelli and Michelin are now in the distribution chain, so there's no need to depend on the car manufacturer for replacements.

I am not debating these points
its just nice to think that if I lose a tire on a day trip with my wife, a Lucid van could be dispatched with a tire to get me going again

Back