• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3 blowouts within a Week

I am not debating these points
its just nice to think that if I lose a tire on a day trip with my wife, a Lucid van could be dispatched with a tire to get me going again

Does any other car manufacturer provide such a service?

For my other car roadside assist is third party
i would prefer run flats which saved me multiple times in my Infiniti
The Michelin RF tires on my LC 500 are terrific

I had two blowouts( at the same time) with two bent rims as well as two other bent rims with one bubbled tire on my 21s all within the first 3 months of ownership. Went to 19s immediately afterwards. I would have loved to try the 20s as they look much nicer than the 19s and seem to be a good compromise but they were 6 months down the road. Any one had similar problems with the 20s?

For my other car roadside assist is third party
i would prefer run flats which saved me multiple times in my Infiniti
The Michelin RF tires on my LC 500 are terrific

Lucid's roadside assistance is also provided by a third party.

Run-flat tires have very stiff sidewalls. I suspect that would work against the low rolling resistance EV tires need for range. EVs are very different from ICE cars in terms of the requirements they put on tires -- the reason that most major tire manufacturers are developing a specialized line of tires for EV applications.

I had two blowouts( at the same time) with two bent rims as well as two other bent rims with one bubbled tire on my 21s all within the first 3 months of ownership. Went to 19s immediately afterwards. I would have loved to try the 20s as they look much nicer than the 19s and seem to be a good compromise but they were 6 months down the road. Any one had similar problems with the 20s?

A lot of this depends on what you hit at what speed. No tire/wheel combo will protect against everything, although the taller the sidewall the better off you might be.

My brother has a Tesla Model 3 with 19" wheels in Atlanta. A while back he hit a stretch of local street where a large metal plate that was covering a piece of roadwork had slipped out of position. He hit the edge of the plate at moderate speed, and it bent all four of his rims.

Triple A reports that pothole damage to cars totals around $3 billion a year in the U.S., with the average cost of repair at $306. That's 9.8 million cars a year incurring pothole damage, mostly to wheels and tires.

How about just bad luck? Same stories from my friends that own Teslas. Crappy roads in certain areas where they blew a tire and had worse nightmare stories getting replaced or towed. This is not new for any car manufacturer, especially a new one.

I have owned numerous high-powered cars with low-profile tires: MB SL55 AMG, three Audi R8s, Corvette, Mercedes-McLaren SLR . . . . All experienced rapid tread wear and occasional tire and wheel damage issues. None of these manufacturers undertook responsibility for giving me emergency roadside tire or wheel replacement.

I've now been driving a Lucid Air Dream Performance with 21" wheels for 18 months. I have experienced reasonable tread life for a car of its power and weight combined with my heavy foot and only had one tire failure when I drove over a piece of metal while passing a construction site.

I have found tire replacement on a Lucid to be no more difficult than with any other brand I've owned. Lucid tires are now stocked by all major tire distributors, and pretty much any tire shop that has equipment for low-profile tires can install them. If the car also needs realignment, the procedure for the Lucid is the same as on any other car and can be done on any alignment equipment a modern tire shop has.

I have 5100 miles on the 20s and have had zero problems on the terrible roads of Dallas. My previous car was an Alfa Romeo Giulia and I had 3 sidewall bubbles with Pirelli tires in a few thousand miles.

Still perfect on 20s no issues!
IMG_8150.jpeg

I have 5100 miles on the 20s and have had zero problems on the terrible roads of Dallas. My previous car was an Alfa Romeo Giulia and I had 3 sidewall bubbles with Pirelli tires in a few thousand miles.
My forty years of experience rebuilding, repairing, racing, and representing race tracks and car companies has taught me that the tire manufacturer and model is MORE important that wheel size. I think @MorganB proves my point: I am willing to bet the tires on his 20s are not Pirelli.

I really wish posters would put their tire make and not just the wheel size. 20s and 21s are NOT inherently horrible. Just more prone to issues due to shorter sidewall. You cannot abuse a 21 inch wheel. They are unforgiving. That is the trade off for handling and looks. Many people, here and otherwise, have NO issues with 20 or 21s. IMHO its NOT JUST THE wheel size - per se.

From what I see on the Lucid factory site, the 20s came with Michelin. The 21s came with Pirellis. So, those of us with 21s have two strikes: narrower sidewalls and the FIAT of tires (fix it again, Tony). I have numerous Audis for decades with 20s and never a ruptured sidewall - but I use Conti DWS tires.

If you are giving anecdotal reports on your tire/wheel experience, PLEASE tell us your tire manufacturer.

My forty years of experience rebuilding, repairing, racing, and representing race tracks and car companies has taught me that the tire manufacturer and model is MORE important that wheel size. I think @MorganB proves my point: I am willing to bet the tires on his 20s are not Pirelli.

I really wish posters would put their tire make and not just the wheel size. 20s and 21s are NOT inherently horrible. Just more prone to issues due to shorter sidewall. You cannot abuse a 21 inch wheel. They are unforgiving. That is the trade off for handling and looks. Many people, here and otherwise, have NO issues with 20 or 21s. IMHO its NOT JUST THE wheel size - per se.

From what I see on the Lucid factory site, the 20s came with Michelin. The 21s came with Pirellis. So, those of us with 21s have two strikes: narrower sidewalls and the FIAT of tires (fix it again, Tony). I have numerous Audis for decades with 20s and never a ruptured sidewall - but I use Conti DWS tires.

If you are giving anecdotal reports on your tire/wheel experience, PLEASE tell us your tire manufacturer.
IMG_8363.jpeg

Michelin 20 inch. All pilot sport season 4

I have the 21 inch heels with the OEM Pirelli tires, and they are at about 13,000 miles. Normal treadwear and so far no blowouts. I did purchase the Discount Tire warranty just in case. I don’t dislike these tires but I do hope there are more options available as time goes on.

Our Lucid Dream Performance and our Tesla Model S Plaid both have 21" wheels. The Lucid wears the Pirelli LM1 tires, and the Plaid wears Michelin's new EV tires. Each car (as well as our Honda Odyssey) has had a tire puncture from debris in the road (lots of construction in our area). Neither car has had sidewall bulging issues. Tread wear has been similar on both, with reshodding needed around 16-17,000 miles on both cars.

Interesting that you mention Conti DWS tires. They were the factory tires on our 2015 Model P90D with 19" wheels, and they were far and away the best tires in the wet I have ever driven . . . and pretty darn good in the dry, too. As we get torrential rains in Florida's rainy season, the wet performance of those tires really stood out. (I could take off from a stop light like a scalded cat with sheets of rain washing over the road while other cars just sat and spun their tires.) Unfortunately, they were replaced with a newer line that was not made (at least initially) in the right size for that car, and the difference really showed when I had to replace them.

I have ~4000 miles on the 21" Pirellis and no worries. Live in PA with the most heavily truck traffic roads in the country, plus freeze/thaw cycles.

My secret: disabled the TPWS . (ordered the car with 19" and haven't paid the $200 to re-calibrate the car for 21")

I've used the P-Zeros on my Volvo V70Rs and never an issue. They seem to be sticky and soft, as I get about half the mileage that I got on the Pilot Sports on the same car. That said, I generally order Conti or Mich on my cars.

As for why I switched to 21" summer from the 19" AS : I accidently got the car completely sideways pulling out of the neighborhood and scared the wife. The 19" AS tires are not so sticky. Car handles great though...made me look like I knew what I was doing in recovery.

Anyone have a video spinning a Lucid in a parking lot ?
PXL_20230628_163707962.jpg

Interesting that you mention Conti DWS tires. They were the factory tires on our 2015 Model P90D with 19" wheels, and they were far and away the best tires in the wet I have ever driven . . . and pretty darn good in the dry, too. As we get torrential rains in Florida's rainy season, the wet performance of those tires really stood out. (I could take off from a stop light like a scalded cat with sheets of rain washing over the road while other cars just sat and spun their tires.) Unfortunately, they were replaced with a newer line that was not made (at least initially) in the right size for that car, and the difference really showed when I had to replace them.
For what it's worth, the DWS seem to do the best of all extreme A/S tires with Audi's Quatro system of awd. Many RWD drivers are perturbed when their favorite Michelin or Bridgestone or Yokohama tires wear horribly on an Audi. I learned, there is no best tire, only best for your car, your roads and your style of driving. I have no idea how DWS' would work on a Lucid, but my wife won't drive her S7 without them. The joy of a new car brand, so much to learn.

I too, have become a big fan of Conti DWS tires. Had them on the E63s and on the BMW 328 awd. Pretty much excellent at everything.
I prefer them over the Pilot Sport AS for snow.

I too, have become a big fan of Conti DWS tires. Had them on the E63s and on the BMW 328 awd. Pretty much excellent at everything.
I also have the Conti DWS tires on my Jaguar I Pace. They have been great. This is my second set; the first set lasted about 39k miles.

I recall someone from the NE using Michelin Pilot Sport on a GT.
FWIW, the Bridgestones run-flat on our EQS wore out at 12 K. Put on the Pilot Sport last week and a huge improvement in handling was instantly appreciated. The efficiency was less, though.
Would probably use the same of the Air if there's no better alternative.

Back