• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3 blowouts within a Week

For what it's worth, the DWS seem to do the best of all extreme A/S tires with Audi's Quatro system of awd. Many RWD drivers are perturbed when their favorite Michelin or Bridgestone or Yokohama tires wear horribly on an Audi. I learned, there is no best tire, only best for your car, your roads and your style of driving. I have no idea how DWS' would work on a Lucid, but my wife won't drive her S7 without them. The joy of a new car brand, so much to learn.
Given you know tires, do you think the Continental Ecocontact 6 19” would do the job on the Lucid? They don’t have the sound deadening foam like the Pirelli but I may choose those when I’m done with the PZero 19”. I have 16k miles on mine, probably will switch at 35k.

Michelin Sport A/S 4 all day everyday twice on Sunday!
IMG_8363.jpeg

Given you know tires, do you think the Continental Ecocontact 6 19” would do the job on the Lucid? They don’t have the sound deadening foam like the Pirelli but I may choose those when I’m done with the PZero 19”. I have 16k miles on mine, probably will switch at 35k.

Similar question here - my local Discount Tire Store is recommending the Continental Pure Contact LS for my 19” rims. Does anyone know if they’re any good? Looking at their website, I don’t think these tyres have sound deadening foam. I prioritise a quiet ride over sporty handling.

Well I’m back complaining about my car again. I just want to know if anyone else has also had a similar issue and start a thread addressing this. I think these lucid 21 inch tires are absolute garbage straight garbage. I have had 3 blowouts within a week. My first blowout was May 14th and on that one I do admit I hit a pretty big pothole going relatively fast say around 55-65 on Lake Shore Drive. And immediately my tire pressure sensors went off and said the front left tire was flat I had about .5 miles from my destination so I just drive on it because it was still in frame. Then had the tow arranged to my house and from there had a Mobil unit sent to my house they take off the tire and say my wheel is bent and now they can’t replace the tire without me getting another wheel. Whatever it’s one tire and wheel combo and I hit a pretty big pothole. Lucid tells me that no other tires are damaged and the only tire damaged was the front left. Makes sense right. May 20th my mother was taking it to a local grocery store to charge and get some grocery’s no more then .75 miles from my house. On the way home the back left tire blows while she was going 45 mph no bumps or anything. She was one minute from my house but this time none of the tire sensors came on no psi warning nothing of that nature mom pulls into the drive way Mobil unit is dispatched right away and they say the same thing as last time saying the tires just popped and they can’t replace because wheel is bent and this point I’m a little skeptical that one technician told me that all the other tires are good and then within 2 days or repairing it another tire blows out and it’s wheel needs to be replaced. But it’s fine I just assumed that the technician maybe didn’t look at all the tires and there was a bubble or something gave them a benefit of the the doubt. This time requested that they check all the tires again and make sure there weren’t any bubbles or anything like that and no more wheels were bent. Assured me everything was alright. I get back from my business trip and I’m driving it on May 26th at 4:30 Peak Rush hour here in Chicago basically in a parking lot at this time; stop and go stop and go on 290 East it opens up a little bit and I increase my speed to around 35-45 and all of a sudden no bumps or anything I just feel the car shaking but the car is still steering straight no tire sensors are on nothing if that nature pull the car over within .5 miles notice that my front right tire is completely torn up and was smoking. Called Lucid Tow waiting 90 mins and while the tow truck was towing my car he scratched my frunk I don’t know how he did that but he did. Had it towed and now lucid is asking me to replace that wheel as well and saying I need to replace the sensors and at this point I’m concerned for the safety of this car because if tires keep blowing like this at high speeds it could end up being incredibly dangerous for other people and yourself. So I’m just writing this to see if anyone else has any insight on what’s going on or what I should do now. Because frankly I’m so confused and tired dealing with all this. If anyone is interested I have pictures of all the tire damages and stuff too if they want to try and diagnose what happened.

Thanks
I have had to replace three 19 inch tires due to bubbles or blowout. But I hit potholes here in Boston. I don't blame Lucid or the tire manufacturer. Keep in mind EV's weigh a great deal more than gas cars and further they are inflated to 49 psi as opposed to around 32 for gas cars. Hence, EVs are destined to blowout or produce bubbles in tires when you hit a pothole even if it is a somewhat minor pothole. You have to be diligent to avoid potholes and if you hit one, thoroughly inspect tires. That's life with an EV.

Similar question here - my local Discount Tire Store is recommending the Continental Pure Contact LS for my 19” rims. Does anyone know if they’re any good? Looking at their website, I don’t think these tyres have sound deadening foam. I prioritise a quiet ride over sporty handling

The Pure Contact are very good, if a bit boring tires. BORING IS NOT BAD. They just work. Quieter than the DWS. I have had two sets on an A6 Avant. Not a light car. Very very good mileage. The handling reminds me a bit of the DWS. But you cannot push them. I bought them as they have been referred to as the quiet plush comfort version of the DWS. They are quiet.

I am a not familiar with the Ecocontact EP. I have to admit that many of the Procontact tires Conti does for OEM Audi and Mercedes are worse than boring. They are stodgy. I think Audi specs them on many new cars so no owner will complain about noise, stiffness, lack of couch comfort. IMHO, the Contact series for Conti does not win them kudos from tire/driver enthusiasts. You need to read the reviews. The Pure Contact, on the other hand, does not bore you to death like the Procontact, although they are both Conti Touring tires. Go figure.

So, while Audi enthusiasts love the DWS and even the Pure Contact, most with a new Audi run just a few miles the OEM Conti Procontacts and throw them away. They are not bad, just boring and do not let you experience the fun of a well set up Audi. Except, for the Pure Contact, the Conti "Grand Touring Contact range are not admired. Nothing bad, just nothing outstanding. Funny, the Pure Contact is technically in the Grand Touring Conti grouping, but does not handle like the Procontacts. The PURE is tuned or built more like the DWS.

Last edited:
I also have the Conti DWS tires on my Jaguar I Pace. They have been great. This is my second set; the first set lasted about 39k miles.
That is amazing mileage. I have never seen that on turbo or supercharged Audi.

The Pure Contact are very good, if a bit boring tires. BORING IS NOT BAD. They just work. Quieter than the DWS. I have had two sets on an A6 Avant. Not a light car. Very very good mileage. The handling reminds me a bit of the DWS. But you cannot push them. I bought them as they have been referred to as the quiet plush comfort version of the DWS. They are quiet.

Thanks for your very thorough and useful summary. I’ve just ordered a set of four, in preparation for our 2200 mile roundtrip drive from San Diego CA to Denver CO in mid-July. I’ll appreciate these quiet rolling tyres.

You will like them. I was surprised how much I did. Thought the DWS was too much for wife's Audi. Many of the reviews say the same thing. Wife's A6 avant was still fun to drive, and calm, quiet at 80 on I 70.

Wrote to you last night about the Edward's EA. My very first commercial charge. The EA and Tesla sections were full with Californians heading from CA to the east. Most did not blink about driving cross country. And it seems every Californian is on their third BEV. Colorado is far behind.

I had DWS06 tires and loved them; they just wore much faster than my Pilot Sport A/S

I noticed 2 things my Tesla has Michelin Pilot All Seasons too:
IMG_8706.jpeg

I also noticed this Space vehicle at the museum had Michelin I thought it was a sign:

IMG_8692.jpeg

I really wish posters would put their tire make and not just the wheel size.

From what I see on the Lucid factory site, the 20s came with Michelin.

Yes sorry I have the OEM tires which are Michelin Pilot Sport EV summers on my OEM 20 inch Aero Lite Touring wheels. My first road trip was actually after 1 week of ownership in 18 degree weather on those summer tires. I actually specifically chose the 20 inch wheels for the OEM Michelins as I wanted to avoid Pirelli at all cost after my past experience as well as the issues already occurring on the Lucid.

My forty years of experience rebuilding, repairing, racing, and representing race tracks and car companies has taught me that the tire manufacturer and model is MORE important that wheel size. I think @MorganB proves my point: I am willing to bet the tires on his 20s are not Pirelli.

I really wish posters would put their tire make and not just the wheel size. 20s and 21s are NOT inherently horrible. Just more prone to issues due to shorter sidewall. You cannot abuse a 21 inch wheel. They are unforgiving. That is the trade off for handling and looks. Many people, here and otherwise, have NO issues with 20 or 21s. IMHO its NOT JUST THE wheel size - per se.

From what I see on the Lucid factory site, the 20s came with Michelin. The 21s came with Pirellis. So, those of us with 21s have two strikes: narrower sidewalls and the FIAT of tires (fix it again, Tony). I have numerous Audis for decades with 20s and never a ruptured sidewall - but I use Conti DWS tires.

If you are giving anecdotal reports on your tire/wheel experience, PLEASE tell us your tire manufacturer.
I had two blowouts in two months from potholes on my OEM Pirelli 21” tires. I’m aware you’ve got to be more careful with the 21” rims but I’ve had them on two previous Teslas and never had a blowout. Getting the 20” rims would be a $6K expense. Plus I’d have to buy new tires. Is there a stronger tire that i can buy for the 21” rims? I realize I’ll probably take a mileage hit.

I just picked up my Rivian R1S today and the 21’s are also Pirelli‘s although no where near the same low profile as the 21’s on my Lucid. Will be heading to America’s Tire tomorrow to get the road hazard certificate ($65/each). I’m not going to tempt fate!

Is there a stronger tire that i can buy for the 21” rims? I realize I’ll probably take a mileage hit.
The limiting factor is rated load capacity of the tire. Not speed rating. It is Based on the GVWR of the car. The 21 Pirellis are the new HL load factor, exceeding the XL load designation that has been around for years. The HL came out for one reason: freaking heavy big BEVS. Michi put out a release recently that it epwas doing HL tires. More makers will follow.

I have seen some here use the Michelin A/S in 21" but then I read Tire Rack pulled the recommendation for its use for the Lucid, due to load rating. No idea if that is true.

I love Conti DWS tires, but again, I do not think their 21s in 35 ratio pass the load muster. I did not see them approved for Lucid.

I have only had my Touring 6 days. I plan to nurse my Pirellis until November and put on a set of 19" MSW wheels with Veredestein real winter tires, and HOPE the 345-35/21 HL tires selection is better in the spring.

Sitting on the side of the road with a blowout on a 21 inch Pirelli that was replaced 2 months ago for a welt. The thing just blew up as I was going 35 mph. No sign of a puncture and the road was recently repaved and was perfectly smooth.

These tires are simply not road worthy. My educated guess is another welt, but we will find out once Lucid has it. I went 8 years without a blowout on Continental 22s that were on my last two Panamera GTS’s. Since nobody has these tires, the car has to go to Millbrae and I’ll be on the side of the road with my dog for 90 more minutes waiting for a driver.

God bless anyone who says “I’ve gone X miles and haven’t had a welt or blowout”. You are the lucky ones.

Sitting on the side of the road with a blowout on a 21 inch Pirelli that was replaced 2 months ago for a welt. The thing just blew up as I was going 35 mph. No sign of a puncture and the road was recently repaved and was perfectly smooth.

These tires are simply not road worthy. My educated guess is another welt, but we will find out once Lucid has it. I went 8 years without a blowout on Continental 22s that were on my last two Panamera GTS’s. Since nobody has these tires, the car has to go to Millbrae and I’ll be on the side of the road with my dog for 90 more minutes waiting for a driver.

God bless anyone who says “I’ve gone X miles and haven’t had a welt or blowout”. You are the lucky ones.
That sucks.

I really wanna know what the difference is. It seems too large to be just luck. That sucks.

I really wanna know what the difference is. It seems too large to be just luck. That sucks.
Does this look like a bad road to you? I find it amazing that there are still a few who will defend these crap tires in face of all of the evidence. Still waiting for a tow by the way. Last estimate was 90 minutes before the driver cancelled. If I seem grumpy, I am.

Edit to say that cell service is weak and I can’t upload a photo of the beautiful road it blew out on.

Last edited:
Back