250+ KwH at EA!

Yeah I know sample sizes are small. But if we all run the test and comparison we might be able to collect some data. And prove once and for all it's EA playing dirty and not Lucid's fault in any way.
Actually our member @HariK is doing just that, he’s gotten a lot of data points and is sharing it with Lucid and Lucid is taking interest. I think what his data has shown so far is that EA is mostly slower than advertised and there’s no pattern of it being the car (which seems to be true for EA and most other EVs also if you look up any plug share review lately). I think a lot of it is utterly random because EA tech isn’t stable. It also makes zero financial sense to throttle the speeds as drivers will then just leave the charger and go elsewhere. Plus when one unit gives you 64kw and the one next to it gives 140kw on the same vehicle with the same PnC certificate (this has happened to me) it suggest the problem is a defect in the tech rather than anything deliberate.

Actually our member @HariK is doing just that, he’s gotten a lot of data points and is sharing it with Lucid and Lucid is taking interest. I think what his data has shown so far is that EA is mostly slower than advertised and there’s no pattern of it being the car (which seems to be true for EA and most other EVs also if you look up any plug share review lately). I think a lot of it is utterly random because EA tech isn’t stable. It also makes zero financial sense to throttle the speeds as drivers will then just leave the charger and go elsewhere. Plus when one unit gives you 64kw and the one next to it gives 140kw on the same vehicle with the same PnC certificate (this has happened to me) it suggest the problem is a defect in the tech rather than anything deliberate.
Also, I sent the data to EA and Lucid CS. I pointed out to EA that their 350kW chargers are not doing any better than 150kW chargers till 45%. In fact on the EA 150kW, we are supposed to get 175kW but often we get 125kW. I only suggested to Lucid to look at the charge curves of Genesis GV60, ioniq 5 and start tapering not at 45% but at 70%. I also suggested to Lucid that the ping pong is perhaps because Lucid and EA software combination is unable to communicate properly.

Agree with you Halodde and AustinAir above - is there some kind of “teaser” rate that Lucid and EA have worked out? JK of course, I’m not a conspiracy fan, but I was at an EA in Stamford, CT yesterday - 8 chargers, two are 350kW and 6 are 150. I plugged in twice to the 350s, max rate was only 24 kW (no kidding) and twice to different 150 chargers, one maxed at 32 kW and the second “worked” and very briefly (again, briefly, just a few minutes) managed over 100 kW (max around 126) before settling in at around 50-60kW. I did precondition, for probably an hour by the time I got to that last charger, and started the sessions at around 13% SOC. An East coast thing? or an EA thing? or a conspiracy? ;-) I can charge at home, but trying to get the feel for what life might be like on the road, and that looks pretty daunting from my limited sessions at 3 separate EA stations within a 50 mile radius of me (I live in NY metro and they are strikingly limited for the population here).
I’m at 19k miles with quite a few long road trips. I frequently charge from SOC 30-50 to 80-90. Most EA chargers I get 80-120kW. Occasionally, I get a 150kW that goes right to 175 or a 350 that gets to 200, but 80-120kW is most common. My average charging time is about 30 minutes with most charges averaging about 1.5 kWhs per minute.

If you watch the cannonball run, Kyle was able to achieve quite a few sessions over 300kw, on both EA and EVGo

If you watch the cannonball run, Kyle was able to achieve quite a few sessions over 300kw, on both EA and EVGo
Yeah and quite a few still wasn’t enough to overcome the embarrassing inability of EA to be consistent or reliable.

Back