250+ KwH at EA!

AustinAir

Cars
Kia ev6
I wanted to share something here. While I was doing research, multiple posts about horrid charging curves almost scared me out of buying my Lucid. After all, rate of charge is one of the main perks. For those on the fence PLEASE READ.

TLDR; charging rate is good (great even) but curve can probably be more aggressive.

I plugged in to my usual EA 350KW plug in Round Rock TX today. I’ve had this thing push out as high as 202 before for my Kia EV6. Arrived at 10% SOC with NO PRECONDITIONING. Right out the gate I got 260+, coming down to 160 around 25%, but held 160 until I unplugged at 50% SOC. Even at my miles per KwH of 2.9, I added 150 miles in 14 mins. Not bad.

Proof of peak charging attached. Don’t let other folks from shitty chargers make you think something is wrong with the car!!
F32237CA-0A3A-49C5-A6DE-6C563AB61030.jpeg

Nice. I briefly saw 272 a couple of weeks ago. But it was very brief
Agree with you Halodde and AustinAir above - is there some kind of “teaser” rate that Lucid and EA have worked out? JK of course, I’m not a conspiracy fan, but I was at an EA in Stamford, CT yesterday - 8 chargers, two are 350kW and 6 are 150. I plugged in twice to the 350s, max rate was only 24 kW (no kidding) and twice to different 150 chargers, one maxed at 32 kW and the second “worked” and very briefly (again, briefly, just a few minutes) managed over 100 kW (max around 126) before settling in at around 50-60kW. I did precondition, for probably an hour by the time I got to that last charger, and started the sessions at around 13% SOC. An East coast thing? or an EA thing? or a conspiracy? ;-) I can charge at home, but trying to get the feel for what life might be like on the road, and that looks pretty daunting from my limited sessions at 3 separate EA stations within a 50 mile radius of me (I live in NY metro and they are strikingly limited for the population here).

I wanted to share something here. While I was doing research, multiple posts about horrid charging curves almost scared me out of buying my Lucid. After all, rate of charge is one of the main perks. For those on the fence PLEASE READ.

TLDR; charging rate is good (great even) but curve can probably be more aggressive.

I plugged in to my usual EA 350KW plug in Round Rock TX today. I’ve had this thing push out as high as 202 before for my Kia EV6. Arrived at 10% SOC with NO PRECONDITIONING. Right out the gate I got 260+, coming down to 160 around 25%, but held 160 until I unplugged at 50% SOC. Even at my miles per KwH of 2.9, I added 150 miles in 14 mins. Not bad.

Proof of peak charging attached. Don’t let other folks from shitty chargers make you think something is wrong with the car!!
View attachment 11692
Before you got your car, I remember having a discussion about this very topic where you thought your EV6 was faster charging than the Lucid, unless I'm mistaken?

In a week span, I also saw 260 kW at Round Rock EA station and 43 kW at Clear Lake EA station.

The session of 43kW speed, there was a Bolt there at 150kW charger getting 57kW, it made me wonder if it is being shared load to cause only 43 kW. Anyway, I left station under 5 minutes to get home with 14% SOC. I rather time better utilized than charging under 50 kW waiting.

In a week span, I also saw 260 kW at Round Rock EA station and 43 kW at Clear Lake EA station.

The session of 43kW speed, there was a Bolt there at 150kW charger getting 57kW, it made me wonder if it is being shared load to cause only 43 kW. Anyway, I left station under 5 minutes to get home with 14% SOC. I rather time better utilized than charging under 50 kW waiting.
I've been seeing "limited power by station" so much lately that it makes me think that the power is being saved a lot more than we think. Maybe EA just being cheap with electricity and not caring about backlash.

Before you got your car, I remember having a discussion about this very topic where you thought your EV6 was faster charging than the Lucid, unless I'm mistaken?
Yes, and it was based on other threads I’ve been following on the topic.

To clarify, the EV6 has a better charging curve to 90%. It can hold 200 until 60%, and 150 until 80%.

HOWEVER, Lucid has a bigger battery so 55% on my lucid is basically 80% for the Kia. Once Lucid optimizes the software I think it’s unbeatable.

Agree with you Halodde and AustinAir above - is there some kind of “teaser” rate that Lucid and EA have worked out? JK of course, I’m not a conspiracy fan, but I was at an EA in Stamford, CT yesterday - 8 chargers, two are 350kW and 6 are 150. I plugged in twice to the 350s, max rate was only 24 kW (no kidding) and twice to different 150 chargers, one maxed at 32 kW and the second “worked” and very briefly (again, briefly, just a few minutes) managed over 100 kW (max around 126) before settling in at around 50-60kW. I did precondition, for probably an hour by the time I got to that last charger, and started the sessions at around 13% SOC. An East coast thing? or an EA thing? or a conspiracy? ;-) I can charge at home, but trying to get the feel for what life might be like on the road, and that looks pretty daunting from my limited sessions at 3 separate EA stations within a 50 mile radius of me (I live in NY metro and they are strikingly limited for the population here).
I went to a charger I know historically always has good rates. If it was slow here on my lucid I would have made a very negative post. All I can say is if it’s a good charger, lucid works.

Alternatively maybe NOT pre conditioning was a good thing? Maybe there’s a bug where pre conditioning messes things up. An experiment I’m willing to try…

I've been seeing "limited power by station" so much lately that it makes me think that the power is being saved a lot more than we think. Maybe EA just being cheap with electricity and not caring about backlash.
I’m not sure about the power limited by station thing. Yesterday my lucid said the same thing at 262kwh. But on the station UI it showed the car requesting LESS than what the charger was dispensing… so maybe lucid says that cover their ass IMO

I’m not sure about the power limited by station thing. Yesterday my lucid said the same thing at 262kwh. But on the station UI it showed the car requesting LESS than what the charger was dispensing… so maybe lucid says that cover their ass IMO
They both say that to CYA lol

I went to a charger I know historically always has good rates. If it was slow here on my lucid I would have made a very negative post. All I can say is if it’s a good charger, lucid works.

Alternatively maybe NOT pre conditioning was a good thing? Maybe there’s a bug where pre conditioning messes things up. An experiment I’m willing to try…
@OutofSpecDave maybe an experiment you can do? Charging speed with and without preconditioning, maybe preconditioning has a bug where it doesn’t play nice with EA?

@OutofSpecDave maybe an experiment you can do? Charging speed with and without preconditioning, maybe preconditioning has a bug where it doesn’t play nice with EA?
On my road trip from DC to Utah, I didn't precondition a single time. And I used ABRP to hit the chargers, so no precondition whatsoever. Never had any issues.

Just did a Bay Area to SD and back trip.

I definitely do believe some chargers will limit you with the "Charging limited by station" in an effort to save cost or whatever (dumb) reasoning. When I first got the car and paid by accident (instead of using promotional free charging), the station was giving near 150kw. After successfully using free charging at same station same session. I saw the limited charging to 80kw.

Tends to only happen for me at more local stations. On highway by I5 such as Kettleman City or Bakersfield its not limited. Pic below is Bakersfield.

Attachments

• 20230420_193808.jpg
    20230420_193808.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108

I definitely do believe some chargers will limit you with the "Charging limited by station" in an effort to save cost or whatever (dumb) reasoning. When I first got the car and paid by accident (instead of using promotional free charging), the station was giving near 150kw. After successfully using free charging at same station same session. I saw the limited charging to 80kw.

Tends to only happen for me at more local stations. On highway by I5 such as Kettleman City or Bakersfield its not limited. Pic below is Bakersfield.
If this is really the case, that could be a class action lawsuit. Try to get some more data on that. I'm going to try as well here locally.

Because it would be a breach of contract with Lucid

If this is really the case, that could be a class action lawsuit. Try to get some more data on that. I'm going to try as well here locally.

Albeit with a sample size of 1, paid vs unpaid gave me the same speed.

Oops did not realize I misclicked and uploaded the wrong image.

But yeah, sample size of 1 since every time after it was using promotional free charging. Just wanted to note that EA by highways will typically give you full power, either 350kw or 150kw, but ones in cities by malls or plazas limit.

Attachments

• 20230420_205636.jpg
    20230420_205636.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 95

It happened to me last year winter when my AGT had handshake issue. I just paid for it with my EA app to try to move on my trip instead of calling EA. And it worked and juice was running fast. But the guy next to me was claiming charging limited by station. I was wondering if paying charging and contract free charging have different juice priority. Another sample size of 1 of 1.

I’m in a Polestar 2 rental right now, EA slow speed is due to the stations, not the car. I only got 40kw at a 150kw at 50% SOC and while the Polestar is no charging monster, that’s too slow for it to be the car’s fault. That was also at a location (Ralph’s on Vermont Ave in LA) where 2/4 dispensers were offline even though EA useless app said they were available and online. I saw 5 EV drivers try to charge and give up, including a pretty pissed off Taycan owner (THIS is why you buy a Lucid, the range allows you to skip bad chargers).

Yeah I know sample sizes are small. But if we all run the test and comparison we might be able to collect some data. And prove once and for all it's EA playing dirty and not Lucid's fault in any way.

I used the lucid free plan and got great speeds

Back