2.8.17 update

I have not gotten the latest update, and I will be patient. I love my car, but Lucid is in trouble for one reason. The software is crappy. I am over 60K on my Air GT, and I am exhausted by the lack of software stability. We are an all-EV household, and my wife drives a Model Y. The software is stable, but the drive and build have nothing on my Air. However, I am losing confidence in Lucid's ability to get software right. I have permanently turned off my phone as a key; it's just too unpredictable. Android auto, take it back please. I am excited to drive my car, but I am a techy. I love new and emerging toys; I've been using alternative OSes on my laptops for more than a decade, and even for me, Lucid is a project I can no longer recommend to new EV buyers. I hope to be driving my Air GT for a very long time, but my wife will not be getting a Grovity as we had planned. The software is killing us. Thoughts?
 
I’ve had my 25 Air Pure over 6 months, and have nearly 10k miles on it now. I do have 2.8.17. It’s no better - some things were improved while others are worse. Glitches from past fixes are back (sound system in particular). I like driving it and am tech- centric like you, so I tolerate the reboots and weird software problems. But I do not have confidence that the software will ever reach true stability - at least not in the next year or so. I realize I’m a short timer on ownership, but nothing in the 9 updates I’ve experienced makes me think Lucid will stabilize this issue. But I love the drive when things work!
 
I 100% get what you are saying, and that sucks to have a car with such great potential that doesn't come through with the stuff that's important to you. I also have the AGT, and I find the car to be nearly flawless for me. I think the entertainment interface is quirky, but I only use CarPlay, which works as designed. The built-in nav is flawed, just like every other car I've owned, so I am used to using phone-based nav all the time. I'm sure that there are other bugs that I can't recall right now, but nothing that affects me.
 
My sense is that there WAS a steady series of (relatively glitch-free) improvements over quite a long period of time. I recall when OTA updates were hotly anticipated, and their installation seldom regretted. Things seemed to have changed after 2.8.0. Six OTA updates have been released since mid-September, with no stated improvement objective other than one mentioning improved connectivity in the telematics control unit. There seems to be no user consensus about any other improvements in these six, but there does seem to be agreement on things going wrong that were not going wrong on 2.8.0. Something really odd is happening. I would rather that Lucid had stopped at 2.8.0. Then, I would just be bitching about how long its been since the last update, while happily driving my (IMO) tolerably flawed but less bug-ridden car.
 
Last edited:
I've gone the other way from a software perspective...I do not use Android Auto and find that the Hey Lucid experience is much more improved than I had known or expected. Just last week onwards me and my family have been running the hey lucid assistant through its paces and I'm shocked by how good it now is...able to understand me, corrects anything it misheard the first time...so now I use it to enter navigation destinations and use the full screen Lucid navigation and voice assistant over Google...who would've thunk..I was having issues with the car not deep sleeping and losing battery and somehow that also is fixed now...no idea how but it's gone....so as of now my software is stable, hardware has always rocked and I have zero issues but there is the nagging suspicion of the next update and all that it will break which dents the ownership experience
 
I've gone the other way from a software perspective...I do not use Android Auto and find that the Hey Lucid experience is much more improved than I had known or expected. Just last week onwards me and my family have been running the hey lucid assistant through its paces and I'm shocked by how good it now is...able to understand me, corrects anything it misheard the first time...so now I use it to enter navigation destinations and use the full screen Lucid navigation and voice assistant over Google...who would've thunk..I was having issues with the car not deep sleeping and losing battery and somehow that also is fixed now...no idea how but it's gone....so as of now my software is stable, hardware has always rocked and I have zero issues but there is the nagging suspicion of the next update and all that it will break which dents the ownership experience
Same. I hate talking to my car but I tried it recently and it is vastly improved.

I also have pretty much no issues now with the software on the Air. 🤷‍♂️

(Gravity still has some paces to go but it’s much, much newer, and the latest update was a very, very significant improvement)
 
I keep wanting to email lucid about the weird quirks my Air is experiencing (I’m still on 2.8.16). iOS app 2.11, now I can no longer share map destinations with the car, it tells me to log into the app for that to work. Huh?

When I get in my car and tap either work or home from the car’s Home Screen, to initiate navigation, maps open but it resets itself entirely, so once it finished loading the map app, I have to reelect my destination, which is annoying (only made more annoying because I can’t share destinations from my phone anymore).

And of course, still, if I set up my phone as mobile key, the app can never wake the car up. I still find Tidal unusable. I subscribe again last month and multiple times the app would simply stop playing mid song and the app no longer even appeared to go back to it. So Tidal has been cancelled again.

None of these things make me want to get rid of the car or anything, they’re just weird and a little annoying at times.
 
I have been reading about quality issues with all new cars; seems to be the norm. It is not unique to Lucid.

Manufacturers will not stop the line when "they run out of fasteners" or even parts, or have software bugs or such like. Instead they run the car to the end of line and put the imperfect car in the lot to address the problem later, or even ship them to post-production / dealerships to be "fixed later". Looks like some Lucid vehicles are getting through final inspection with bugs.
It must be difficult / time consuming to check that all the software is working correctly. There are so many computers in modern cars. What a quality control nightmare for software engineers.

I have not had any problems that weren't immediately "fixed" by a reboot: same as I do on all the desktop and laptop computers I have ever used.

All of my updates over 3 years worth, installed easily and work flawlessly.... I have had a wonderful experience with my Air.
2022 GT version 2.8.17
 
I have been reading about quality issues with all new cars; seems to be the norm. It is not unique to Lucid.

Manufacturers will not stop the line when "they run out of fasteners" or even parts, or have software bugs or such like. Instead they run the car to the end of line and put the imperfect car in the lot to address the problem later, or even ship them to post-production / dealerships to be "fixed later". Looks like some Lucid vehicles are getting through final inspection with bugs.
It must be difficult / time consuming to check that all the software is working correctly. There are so many computers in modern cars. What a quality control nightmare for software engineers.

I have not had any problems that weren't immediately "fixed" by a reboot: same as I do on all the desktop and laptop computers I have ever used.

All of my updates over 3 years worth, installed easily and work flawlessly.... I have had a wonderful experience with my Air.
2022 GT version 2.8.17
Yeah me too.
 
Yeah me too.
This is a surprise. I thought all Dream Editions were beta versions? You got very lucky! I imagine that cars built during the Covid pandemic, when supply-chains were broken, had all kinds of faulty control module problems: issues that did not show up right away. I've read the horror stories. Ouch.
I expect all the Dream Editions are well-sorted by now. I wish I could talk the wife into replacing her Mazda... I was too late to make the list...someday...
 
I keep wanting to email lucid about the weird quirks my Air is experiencing (I’m still on 2.8.16). iOS app 2.11, now I can no longer share map destinations with the car, it tells me to log into the app for that to work. Huh?

When I get in my car and tap either work or home from the car’s Home Screen, to initiate navigation, maps open but it resets itself entirely, so once it finished loading the map app, I have to reelect my destination, which is annoying (only made more annoying because I can’t share destinations from my phone anymore).

And of course, still, if I set up my phone as mobile key, the app can never wake the car up. I still find Tidal unusable. I subscribe again last month and multiple times the app would simply stop playing mid song and the app no longer even appeared to go back to it. So Tidal has been cancelled again.

None of these things make me want to get rid of the car or anything, they’re just weird and a little annoying at times.
Same. Their software is just bad and they don’t have the talent to fix it. Like map share. It worked. Now it doesn’t. How did that happen? WHY did that happen? Their software team is totally amateur and it’s a huge black eye on the company.
 
My wife's Audi Q6 is equally bad, and even though it can supposedly "receive updates just like a Tesla!" it hasn't actually received a single one since we bought it in Feb 2025. It's currently sitting at the dealer for the 5-hour maintenance required for this year's only software update. So yeah it seems like most automakers don't know how to do software yet...
 
Yeah, a friend was choosing between Lucid and Rivian, and I had to be honest with my frustrations with the software. When I told him just a few of the bugs, he decided on a Rivian. Sad. I think what is discouraging is for Lucid to put out communications saying that fixes are imminent, and then there's nothing for 21 days and counting. With my Tesla in the early days, there were constant updates, and if one of the updates broke something, there would be another update in days, not weeks. I am glad I leased this car, and I do love driving it, but I am not convinced they really have the right resources assigned to software. They keep saying it's a top priority but seeing is believing.
 
Yeah, a friend was choosing between Lucid and Rivian, and I had to be honest with my frustrations with the software. When I told him just a few of the bugs, he decided on a Rivian. Sad. I think what is discouraging is for Lucid to put out communications saying that fixes are imminent, and then there's nothing for 21 days and counting. With my Tesla in the early days, there were constant updates, and if one of the updates broke something, there would be another update in days, not weeks. I am glad I leased this car, and I do love driving it, but I am not convinced they really have the right resources assigned to software. They keep saying it's a top priority but seeing is believing.
I still wouldn’t want a Rivian over a Lucid though. Doesn’t seem like the same class of vehicle.
 
I still wouldn’t want a Rivian over a Lucid though. Doesn’t seem like the same class of vehicle.
Agreed. It's lke a truck. Also hate the headlights. But he's had zero bugs in the 2 weeks he has owned it.
 
3 years in and I still love my Touring. The bugs here and there are annoying but nothing that keeps me from enjoying driving. I’m sure I’ll hold on to this car for at least 10 years. I was on a road trip with my niece in her VW Atlas yesterday and the car play kept loosing connection. Software issues are not unique to Lucid. It’s still my favorite car to drive that I’ve ever owned.
 
I suspect Lucid is inching the Air software toward the 3.0 baseline the Gravity is on, which could be why the updates are simply described as "robustness" and also why they are seemingly causing more problems than they are fixing.

My car is just over 6 months old now and has been a buggy mess the entire time. Not enough to discourage my love for driving it, and I'd totally buy it again if I had to do it all over, but a mess nonetheless. Based on the experiences I have had, I think my issues are more hardware related - either bad antennas or bad TCU - and the poor connection is causing the software to do weird things. I haven't been successful yet in getting Lucid to replace my TCU but I also have other things to deal with in my life and haven't been pushing that hard.
 
Back
Top