2.0.15 - The MOAU - Mother Of All Updates

Not sure if this was answered already, if it was apologies in advance as I missed it. With the latest update, wasn't the car on the pilot panel supposed to change to the color of our actual cars? I know that in the 360 camera view, I now see a red car. Not so much on the main pilot panel screen as its still silver.

Not sure if this was answered already, if it was apologies in advance as I missed it. With the latest update, wasn't the car on the pilot panel supposed to change to the color of our actual cars? I know that in the 360 camera view, I now see a red car. Not so much on the main pilot panel screen as its still silver.
Only the 360 view changed

It's hit and miss for me. Sometimes the car opens when I approach but often times, I have to pull my phone out and open the app. I don't actually have to unlock from the app. But do have to open it.

Fortunately, it always opens from there.

I've tried changing the Location settings on the iPhone from Only When Using the App to Always On and it doesn't make a difference.

Behavior has been the same from 1.0.21 to 2.0.18 and now 2.0.24.

May try Bunny's Valet card reset suggestion but most things (including cameras) are working pretty well for me so not sure I want to mess with what's working.
I think it's a coincidence that when you open the app, the vehicle has had time to wake up. Try waiting a few more beats.

Depending on the car's state, there is sometimes a delay. I can see why this maybe an issue for some folks, but for me it is never more than a few seconds.

I think it's a coincidence that when you open the app, the vehicle has had time to wake up. Try waiting a few more beats.

Depending on the car's state, there is sometimes a delay. I can see why this maybe an issue for some folks, but for me it is never more than a few seconds.
2.0.24 I did a valet card reset. Added phone as a key. Did not have good success today. Locking was about same as Fob. Time/distance to lock inconsistent but always locks. Unlock out of 5 tries. I got 1 unlock in under 3 seconds. The other 4 I had to wake the phone for car to unlock 3 times and 1 time had to unlock phone. Which may or may not have been necessary. How long do you wait before moving to the next step in the progression? Tomorrow my day is not as busy. I’ll experiment some more.

2.0.24 I did a valet card reset. Added phone as a key. Did not have good success today. Locking was about same as Fob. Time/distance to lock inconsistent but always locks. Unlock out of 5 tries. I got 1 unlock in under 3 seconds. The other 4 I had to wake the phone for car to unlock 3 times and 1 time had to unlock phone. Which may or may not have been necessary. How long do you wait before moving to the next step in the progression? Tomorrow my day is not as busy. I’ll experiment some more.
That’s interesting. I never touch my phone at all. It stays in my pocket.

That’s interesting. I never touch my phone at all. It stays in my pocket.
I would like to know if they made any hardware updates from the early builds. People are having very different experiences. Of course there are a lot of different phones and people are on different software versions. I’m going to wait it out tomorrow for a couple minutes and see if it eventually works. If I don’t have better success I will delete the phone from the car, delete the app, reset the car and then reinstall everything.

I would like to know if they made any hardware updates from the early builds. People are having very different experiences. Of course there are a lot of different phones and people are on different software versions. I’m going to wait it out tomorrow for a couple minutes and see if it eventually works. If I don’t have better success I will delete the phone from the car, delete the app, reset the car and then reinstall everything.
For reference, I am using an iPhone 14 running iOS 16.

Check under your profile that “fob detection” isn’t turned off. I was having random issues since 2.0.24 unlocking car with mobile key. Most times I was pushing the handle or when unlocking phone the car would unlock.

I then went under my profile and for some reason “fob detection” was off. When I enabled it, mobile key has worked flawlessly again.

This update also turned off my Bluetooth which I discovered the other day wondering why messages and calls weren’t coming through to the car.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, nothing different for me.

Stood out there for a few minutes in some cases. Pressed on the drivers door handle. Nothing.

It either opens relatively quickly. When walking up or within a few seconds of me pressing the door handle.

Otherwise, I have to swipe up on the phone and actually open the app. Just turning on the phone even isn’t enough.

iPhone 14 pro max running iOS 16.1.1 now.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, nothing different for me.

Stood out there for a few minutes in some cases. Pressed on the drivers door handle. Nothing.

It either opens relatively quickly. When walking up or within a few seconds of me pressing the door handle.

Otherwise, I have to swipe up on the phone and actually open the app. Just turning on the phone even isn’t enough.

I’m sorry it isn’t working for you. It’s interesting that we all seem to be experiencing different bugs.

I have noticed a new one: when I hang up the phone on the glass cockpit, Alexa activates. It’s happened several times. At first I thought she may have heard something that sounds like “Alexa,” but I was very careful after that, and it is very repeatable. Anyone else seen that?

I’m sorry it isn’t working for you. It’s interesting that we all seem to be experiencing different bugs.

I have noticed a new one: when I hang up the phone on the glass cockpit, Alexa activates. It’s happened several times. At first I thought she may have heard something that sounds like “Alexa,” but I was very careful after that, and it is very repeatable. Anyone else seen that?
Not a big deal for me. I expect it will get better with each software update.

As I said, it works about half the time as I'm walking up. And it's not a big deal for me to open the App. Still super convenient to have the phone as a key and not have to worry about a physical key. We got used to that with my wife's Model 3.

What's unforgivable is if I get locked out completely. That hasn't happened yet fortunately.

I just saw they have a Watch App! Could never understand why Tesla doesn't have a watch app. Syncing now and will try that out later today.

I just saw they have a Watch App! Could never understand why Tesla doesn't have a watch app. Syncing now and will try that out later today.
I don’t have Apple Watch, but seeing this now, I may go get a Apple watch. 🤣
C00F9166-D923-40ED-9613-F368555D321F.jpeg

And WOW! Tesla, Rivian and Polestar don’t have Apple Watch app, only Lucid does. How cool is that?!

View attachment 6565

And WOW! Tesla, Rivian and Polestar don’t have Apple Watch app, only Lucid does. How cool is that?!
What about my Samsung watch? Coming soon? ;)

Because Elon wants to be their competition. Elon already stated Tesla will one day be bigger than Saudi Aramco & Apple, Inc combined.

StarLink + rumor TeslaPhone competes Apple
SpaceX competes with Amazon Blue Origin
Twitter + StarLink competes with FB Meta
Tesla FSD competes with Intel Mobileye
and of course…
Tesla is competing with GM, MB & Ford.

Elon may be our generation’s first trillionaire with his risk appetite. Maybe he’s not Earthling, he’s probably Marsian. 🤣

Last edited:

It's been driving my wife nuts with her Model 3 b/c she doesn't always have her phone but she always has her watch!

Just for you, I went outside to do some testing.

1. Does NOT work as a standalone bluetooth key. So won't unlock car while next to it. Not a surprise.
2. Could not pair it as a standalone bluetooth device. Maybe someone that knows this better than me could get it to work but I doubt it.
3. Generally works same as phone. Can pull up Watch App and get similar functionality with watch working in conjunction with phone.

And for the real fun.
4. Left phone behind and just used watch. While BT key doesn't work, you can pull up the app and use the unlock command to get into car.
5. Can drive after entering PIN! My facial recognition did confirm so not sure if that's a needed step.

So if you lose your phone while out, the Watch is good enough to unlock your car and let you drive it home. Could also be helpful for opening trunk and frunk.

I have a cellular enabled Apple Watch.

For those of you that don't own an Apple Watch, you'll want the cellular enabled one otherwise it will need to be tethered to your iPhone for connectivity since a direct BT connection to the car won't work.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, nothing different for me....

Could this be a setting on the iPhone related to allowing apps to sleep / power management?

Back