19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

Hey there,

I'm leaning towards the 19" right now but I cannot deny how much I love the way the 21" looks. However, I know you lose range (physics is physics after all).

For those of you who tried/test drove both the 19"/21":

• Which one did you end up going with?
  • What kind of range are you getting?
  • How is the ride quality on the 19 compared to the 21?

Thanks!
Awaiting my delivery before yr end with 19" for both range and comfort. My warm weather hobby is taking my toy, currently a '22 Porsche GT4, to the track where I'm a member as often as possible. The car came w/20" wheels which I replaced with lighter forged 19" aftermarket wheels. I would have gone to 18" but the caliper clearance can be a bit tight. By using the same diameter tire with a wider aspect ratio you get a taller sidewall and larger contact patch. Improved handling & more immediate turn in by reducing unsprung weight and the ride becomes less harsh in this tightly sprung car. I understand some like the look of large wheels with short sidewalls but from a driving perspective they are very over hyped.

Attachments

• E6941D41-C7C7-4179-9AB2-F01A2E61F2F8.jpeg
    E6941D41-C7C7-4179-9AB2-F01A2E61F2F8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
Over the Summer I drove a GT in West Palm Beach which had the 19" wheels .. the car rode SO smoothly.
A few months later I was back with my partner so he could drive the Lucid, new GT with 21" wheels. I hadn't realized it had different wheels and was kind of shocked at how much firmer/harder the car rode, having not known they were different wheels.

Today I took delivery of my Touring with the 20" wheels - my hope that they'd be in between, and I'm happy to say they are 🤗 In addition to being beautiful, the ride is smooth and the handling superb!

The lower the tire aspect ratio the harsher the ride with lower tolerance to road hazards.
19” tire aspect ratio 45; 20” tire aspect ratio 40 and 21” tire aspect ratio 35.

Also as wheel diameter is the same for all three options, the rim diameter increases with lower aspect ratio tires, increasing the weight and rotational moment of inertia of the wheel. Thus a harsher ride, less tolerance to road hazards and decreased range with lower aspect ratio tires.

Also as wheel diameter is the same for all three options, the rim diameter increases with lower aspect ratio tires, increasing the weight and rotational moment of inertia of the wheel. Thus a harsher ride, less tolerance to road hazards and decreased range with lower aspect ratio tires.
Can you tell me what are the specs for making 20” wheels for the air
I know 5x120
I believe 8.5 front diameter
and 9.0 rear diameter
Offset + .35
Center bore 64.1 mm. ?
Will these all work for stock size AS tires?

FWIW I just checked Tire Rack for Michelin tires for 19" wheels - no products. For 20", Michelin Pilot Sport EV, max performance summer-only. For 21", Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Super Sport, both max performance summer-only.

FWIW I just checked Tire Rack for Michelin tires for 19" wheels - no products. For 20", Michelin Pilot Sport EV, max performance summer-only. For 21", Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Super Sport, both max performance summer-only.
I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to because I just checked the tire rack and they list for the 2023 lucid air with 20 inch wheels, six tire choices including to snow tires sets two different high-performance all season sets and two max performance summer only tires there seem to be no shortage of all season and snow tires available for the 20 inch Lucid wheels.

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to because I just checked the tire rack and they list for the 2023 lucid air with 20 inch wheels, six tire choices including to snow tires sets two different high-performance all season sets and two max performance summer only tires there seem to be no shortage of all season and snow tires available for the 20 inch Lucid wheels.
I was speaking of only Michelin branded EV-specific tires.

I was speaking of only Michelin branded EV-specific tires.
These tires are rated XL load which is what big heavy evs require, these are ev tires…

PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
Ultra High Performance All-Season
(1,204) | Reviews (916)
mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_full.jpg

mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_full.jpg

Wheel not included
Compare

Important Note: XL/RF tires required. Customer must maintain higher tire pressure levels of 42psi for proper load.
  • Front:245/40ZR20 99Y
  • Load Range: XL
  • UTQG: 540 AA A
  • Mile. War: 45,000 Miles
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
Per Tire:
$303.99
Qty:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
In Stock
Delivery by Friday, 12/30to 80303
Free Shipping
  • Rear: 265/40ZR20 104Y
  • Load Range: XL
  • UTQG: 540 AA A
  • Mile. War: 45,000 Miles
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
Per Tire:
$431.99
Qty:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
In Stock

The Pilot Sport All-Season 4 is a great choice and I'd be happy to have them on my car, but they do not have the low-rolling-resistance characteristics of an EV tire. Nor sound-dampening foam. "Eco focus: Michelin Total Performance" vs "Electric Vehicle Tuned".

On 21's here. Ride quality is way way better than expected to the point I don't even feel it's on 21's or the lack of an air suspension. Trust me when I tell you, I am extremely picky about how my cars ride and this is the only non air suspension car in my garage.

On 21's here. Ride quality is way way better than expected to the point I don't even feel it's on 21's or the lack of an air suspension. Trust me when I tell you, I am extremely picky about how my cars ride and this is the only non air suspension car in my garage.
Is this with the Michelins PS AS4s or are you referring to the ride quality with the OEM Pirellis?

My car came with 21 inch wheels and summer tires. I bought the OEM 19 inch wheels and all season tires for the winter months . I don’t notice much difference in ride quality between the two. The 21 inch wheels definitely look better in my opinion as they are a nicer design. If you have a lot of potholes you have a higher risk of side wall bubbles more frequently with the larger wheels.

Tire Rack does have options for 19"s....just bought this set for the winter to replace my 21's.
1672238660121.png

So it looks like you spent about 3000 for non aero wheels through tire rack . I paid just over 4k for a factory set installed by lucid.
Total cost was 2,473.71 delivered including:
245/45R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 AO AUDI XL
DOWNLOAD WARRANTY BROCHURE PDF
4​
In Stock​
$357.11​
$1,428.44
Note:

Rim Width Range 7.50 to 9.00​
Includes Free Road Hazard Protection ($138.36 value. Two-year coverage.)​
$0.00​
RETAIL TIRE REGISTRATION CARD
1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
BASIC LIMITED WARRANTY
1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
19X8 MODA MD29 DARK SILVR
4​
In Stock​
$247.94​
$991.76
REQUIRED CENTERING RING
4​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
REQUIRED LUGNUT FOR VEHICLE (NICKEL PLATED)
20​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
LUG INSTALLATION TOOL
1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
433MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
4​
In Stock​
$57.00​
$228.00
MOUNT AND BALANCE (NO CHARGE)
4​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
INSTANT REBATE
1​
In Stock​
-$320.00​
-$320.00

And just to follow up, I LOVE the 21's! But in upstate NY in snow and freezing temps, I needed the winter tires. I was going to get the 20's, as I like that look as well, but the cost of the 20's was $3900 without tires. When I priced out winter tires for the 20's, that was another $1200 (or maybe $1400, IDR). So it was $5100 for 20's or $2500 for 19's....I went with the cheap route.

Just so you know, the user manual specifically states Run Flats are not compatible with the Air.
Or, I should say, they officially recommend not using run flats. Not sure why.

So it looks like you spent about 3000 for non aero wheels through tire rack . I paid just over 4k for a factory set installed by lucid.
I think your OEM is HL grade in load range where as his Pirelli winter tires are XL grade. Air is heavy at 5500 lbs skateboard battery recommended for HL grade.

Back