19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

They don’t consider the 19” a downgrade. With the AGT there are no options that effect price. Choose ext and int colors and wheel size. Every combination on the AGT is $139,000. Maybe they could have but they didn’t.
The same was true for DE. If anyone’s plan is to get two sets of wheels, I highly recommend equipping with the 21s and getting the 19s later, as they *are* cheaper a la Carte the the 21s. That said, if you only want one set, pick your fav. :)

Your car looks great . Can I ask a few questions for clarification? Maybe I misunderstood something.

1) That Lucid center disc. It doesn’t come with that? Can you explain more?

2) I didn’t know there are plastic aero covers that can be removed. I thought only the 20” and 21” had removable covers.

3) Can you tell me more about the lug nut caps? What’s the difference with the OEM nut? Does Lucid sell this as an option?

I’m at a decision point regarding possibly changing my order to the 19” from 20”.
Thanks

1) The 19" wheels have a single piece aero cover that can be pulled out. At the center is a circle with "Lucid" in the middle. You cannot separate this out from the rest of the aero cover. The folks at Millbrae gave me two color options for that disc that says "Lucid" - silver or black. I went with silver.

2) Yes, the 19" aero cover can be removed. Unlike the 21" wheels, it is a single piece with "spokes" radiating out. I can take a pic later. It's still inside the trunk.

3) The folks at Millbrae ordered the lug nut caps for me. That will be billed to me when I go there in a couple of weeks. I can ask them more details about those caps - I honestly know nothing about those caps (brand/cost).

Hey there,

I'm leaning towards the 19" right now but I cannot deny how much I love the way the 21" looks. However, I know you lose range (physics is physics after all).

For those of you who tried/test drove both the 19"/21":

• Which one did you end up going with?
  • What kind of range are you getting?
  • How is the ride quality on the 19 compared to the 21?

Thanks!
Hey there,

I'm leaning towards the 19" right now but I cannot deny how much I love the way the 21" looks. However, I know you lose range (physics is physics after all).

For those of you who tried/test drove both the 19"/21":

• Which one did you end up going with?
  • What kind of range are you getting?
  • How is the ride quality on the 19 compared to the 21?

Thanks!
I took delivery with 21, looks amazing, handles & rides fantastic. With 21 will reduce range by 40, 480 is plenty.

1) The 19" wheels have a single piece aero cover that can be pulled out. At the center is a circle with "Lucid" in the middle. You cannot separate this out from the rest of the aero cover. The folks at Millbrae gave me two color options for that disc that says "Lucid" - silver or black. I went with silver.

2) Yes, the 19" aero cover can be removed. Unlike the 21" wheels, it is a single piece with "spokes" radiating out. I can take a pic later. It's still inside the trunk.

3) The folks at Millbrae ordered the lug nut caps for me. That will be billed to me when I go there in a couple of weeks. I can ask them more details about those caps - I honestly know nothing about those caps (brand/cost).
Thanks for the updates. Since I live near Atlanta, there’s no SC within 9 hours of me. They told me that they will deliver the car to my home. Regarding the choice of the disc color options I wonder if I need to specify that to my DA so they bring (pre-install) the color I select.

I guess I can run this by my DA. I wasn’t aware that there’s other options related to wheels.

Also I looked online at the Lucid store. There’s no wheel accessories they sell.

I’ll ask my DA about the lug nut caps as well.

Did the SC tell you about the lug caps or did you enquirer about colors?
Thanks so much.

I’m also getting the 19” wheels. I live in PA and between road quality and the inconvenience of wheel swapping, the 21”s don’t seem practical. I like the look you achieved by removing the aero covers, but the lug nut covers look black in your pic. You did say you asked for silver, right?

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.

View attachment 2328
This look is totally awesome. I am just blown away. Thanks for being so creative and sharing the results!

I’m also getting the 19” wheels. I live in PA and between road quality and the inconvenience of wheel swapping, the 21”s don’t seem practical. I like the look you achieved by removing the aero covers, but the lug nut covers look black in your pic. You did say you asked for silver, right?
@BradSholl , those are two separate things. You can barely see all five lug-nut caps on each wheel because they are all black. The center disc that says "Lucid" is the one I chose to be silver (got two options - silver or black). I don't remember being asked about the lug nut caps (maybe the folks at Millbrae did, but I was too excited taking delivery).

EDIT: Zoom into the picture I had uploaded on this thread and you can clearly see all five lug-nut caps that surround the silver colored disc in the center.

Did the SC tell you about the lug caps or did you enquirer about colors?
See my earlier post. Maybe the folks at Millbrae asked me for my choice of color for the lug-nut caps. I just don't remember right now. What I absolutely remember is being given the option of "silver" or "black" for the center disc that says "Lucid".

@BradSholl , those are two separate things. You can barely see all five lug-nut caps on each wheel because they are all black. The center disc that says "Lucid" is the one I chose to be silver (got two options - silver or black). I don't remember being asked about the lug nut caps (maybe the folks at Millbrae did, but I was too excited taking delivery).

EDIT: Zoom into the picture I had uploaded on this thread and you can clearly see all five lug-nut caps that surround the silver colored disc in the center.
Sorry, misread your post. My initial read was that the lugs were ordered in silver and they really looked black. Either way, I really like the look!

I'm going to call the Millbrae SC to ask about this. Even though my car won't go through there (its being delivered to me directly) I'm wondering what I need to do to request this. I really like the silver alternative. I'm so glad that pam4_AGT post the image. Did they say they are getting you silver lug nut caps? I also wonder if these lug nut caps are just generic silver caps or specially made with Lucid logo.
thanks again.

I officially changed my order from 20” to 19”. My DA still gives me the same corporate speak as to what the issue is with the 20”. He won’t say if it’s an issue with the tire, wheel, etc. It may never ship or at least not this year.

He is looking into how/when the SC will install the selected colors for the wheel disc and lug covers. In my case it would be installed in Florida before it is delivered to me in Georgia.
Thanks

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.

View attachment 2328
I really like that you (they?) found a nice option to remove the aero covers for the 19"'s, which is exactly what I want to do when I get my GT (out of Goose Island, hopefully in a month). I think you said they didn't charge you, but hoping it was not a one-off from only Millbrae...can you reveal any more details about how you got this done?

I really like that you (they?) found a nice option to remove the aero covers for the 19"'s, which is exactly what I want to do when I get my GT (out of Goose Island, hopefully in a month). I think you said they didn't charge you, but hoping it was not a one-off from only Millbrae...can you reveal any more details about how you got this done?
I will pay for the lug nut covers when I go to Millbrae later (20 pieces - 5 for each wheel and black in color). They did not charge me for the silver disc in the center. Note that the silver disc is *not* the lug nut cover. There are a total of 6 different pieces for each wheel - one silver disc that says "Lucid" and five lug nut caps (black) that surround it. Zoom into the pic I had posted earlier on the thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I will pay for the lug nut covers when I go to Millbrae later (20 pieces - 5 for each wheel and black in color). They did not charge me for the silver disc in the center. Note that the silver disc is *not* the lug nut cover. There are a total of 6 different pieces for each wheel - one silver disc that says "Lucid" and five lug nut caps (black) that surround it. Zoom into the pic I had posted earlier on the thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Very helpful. Thank you. I saw from the pic you posted exactly what you describe, and glad to see they created a center "Lucid" cover disk for this purpose. Also, that they found the appropriate lug nut covers (I'm assuming those may be aftermarket). I've sent the pic to my DA to ask if the Goose Island service center will be able to do this for my car. I am guessing it can be part of the delivery prep if requested. The Lucid store should eventually start carrying these kinds of accessories.

For those curious I found a Car & Driver assessment on range loss when removing the aero covers for the Model 3. When driving at 50mph they found an approx. 3% loss of range. If Lucid's aero's had similar performance that would mean a loss of approx. 15 miles.

Agreed, they look SO MUCH better with the caps off and finished. Range hit should only be about 5%
I’m soon expecting delivery of my GT with 19” wheels and I love the look of removing the inserts and putting a cap back on. Is that easy enough to do myself and where do I get the silver cap? There’s no service center near me. I’m wondering if the guy who delivers my car can do it.

I’m soon expecting delivery of my GT with 19” wheels and I love the look of removing the inserts and putting a cap back on. Is that easy enough to do myself and where do I get the silver cap? There’s no service center near me. I’m wondering if the guy who delivers my car can do it.
Ask them to do it before they ship it out to you when it's at the service center for PDI

If its like other caps its pretty straightforward. Use a trim tool or something else with a blunt edge (I used a knife with masking tape over it) so you won’t scratch the finish on the rim or cap and just pry them off and snap another on in.

My knockoffs that I got on Amazon fro my Jaguar we’re a little loose so I covered the inside with some masking tape and they stuck better. I did blue rim caps and lug nuts covers. I loved the look. But my wife prefers the oem look.

My DA told me last week that he will look into:
1) How/when to make selection of center disc (black vs silver)
2) What options/colors are available regarding lug nut covers.
3) How to inform the SC, which is where the car goes before it’s shipped to customer’s house, about these choices since they do the install of the disc and lug nut covers.

I’m awaiting my DA to let me know this info.

If its like other caps its pretty straightforward. Use a trim tool or something else with a blunt edge (I used a knife with masking tape over it) so you won’t scratch the finish on the rim or cap and just pry them off and snap another on in.

My knockoffs that I got on Amazon fro my Jaguar we’re a little loose so I covered the inside with some masking tape and they stuck better. I did blue rim caps and lug nuts covers. I loved the look. But my wife prefers the oem look.
The lug nut caps just pop off with finger pulling. Very easy

Back