19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

Not to worry, I can see where you're coming from with that assumption though! :)

EDIT: I should mention; handling characteristics definitely improve if the tire is wider, since there's more surface area gripping the road, but as far as I'm aware, the width of all the wheels is the same and it's just the diameter of the wheel that is different. As the wheel size increases, the sidewall of the tire decreases.
The 21s are 265 rear and 245 front. I believe the 19s are 245 all the way around. Someone with 19s can correct me if that is wrong.

I was under the wrong impression, thought it meant more traction with "more wheel"but now i see how you explain it!
You are not completely wrong in your general understand, in that the 21" wheels do provide more traction than the 19" -- and, therefore, more resistance for range purposes. The 21" Pirellis are softer, for that very purpose, and optimize performance in Launch mode over the 19" wheels.

I purchased my DE with 19" but also purchased the 21" to complete the exclusive DE "look." I loved the 19" ride, without any reservation. The 21" are noticeably more noisy, and provide a more hard road ride -- but they DO grip the road, without a doubt.

Another consideration against the 21" is a function of the climate where you will be driving. That tire is truly a Summer Run tire only. It is not all season. Aside from all the concerns about pot hole damage to tire and wheel (all true enough), I have had to park my vehicle for a couple of weeks when the ambient temperature dropped below 40 degrees. Pirelli's warranty specifically limits coverage if driven consistently below 40-45, and warnings abound about sidewall cracking under consistent low temperature use. You also experience reduced braking efficiency as the tire material hardens in the cold.

For all these reasons (along with others noted elsewhere in this forum), I plan on switching back to my 19"s and storing the 21"s! Good luck with your decision.

One more thing, if you get the 21" wheels, understand that the front tires are a different size from the rears. On the other hand, the 19" are all the same.

I purchased my DE with 19" but also purchased the 21" to complete the exclusive DE "look." I loved the 19" ride, without any reservation. The 21" are noticeably more noisy, and provide a more hard road ride -- but they DO grip the road, without a doubt.
Any comments on the handling and braking distance between 19" and 21"? I suppose they are both more than acceptable, but I'm just wondering about extreme circumstances like abrupt steering/braking at freeway speed. Also what's the max psi listed for the 19" tire? Thanks.

I just heard from my DA yesterday that the 20" wheels are being further delayed till Q4. No reason why and least he doesn't know or won't say. I really like the look of the 20s vs the 19s.
I am really starting to wonder what the issue is with the 20s and now a second delay. Will we ever see them?

Any suggestions?

I live in GA, so snow is not an issue.

Also, since the 20s are staggered size and the 19s are not, is that a benefit? Just curious why are the larger tires staggered?

I'm really trying to make a decision to either wait for the 20s (maybe forever) or go with the 19s which I think don't look as nice.

I'm puzzled.

I am really starting to wonder what the issue is with the 20s and now a second delay. Will we ever see them?

There are still so many issues throughout the supply chain for all kinds of products that I would read no cause other than that into the delay. It could be anything from a delay in procuring the right alloy to the right tires becoming available. (EVs do best with tires engineered to handle the torque and the weight of EVs, and 20" is usually not the first size that tire makers bring to production.)

Also, since the 20s are staggered size and the 19s are not, is that a benefit? Just curious why are the larger tires staggered?

The wider rear tires provide a bit more traction for the wheels to which weight shifts during spirited acceleration. This means that traction control doesn't engage as quickly to cut power to those wheels, thus marginally -- and I mean marginally -- improving acceleration times. (Any current version of the Air produces more torque than any of its tires can handle, so traction control is always present to some degree unless it is deliberately disengaged, at least to the extent that the car's controls allow.)

The real reason carmakers use wider rear wheels and tires is probably because the customers who choose those wheels are seeking a more aggressive look and might feel they're getting more of a performance boost than they are.

Like you, I like the look of the 20" wheels better than the 19" wheels on the Air. However, you'd probably find the ride improvement more noticeable with the 19-inchers than the gain in performance with the 20-inchers. (Just my guess. I don't have any hard numbers.)

I think that the biggest difference between the 19s and 20s will be the tire that Lucid had chosen for them. The 19" tires are range-optimized all seasons with a somewhat long stopping distance. The 20" wheels will be fitted with a summer performance tire optimized for traction rather than max range.

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.

IMG-1433.JPG

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.

View attachment 2328
Agreed, they look SO MUCH better with the caps off and finished. Range hit should only be about 5%

Any down side to taking off the caps? Is it easy to do? Should I request it when they deliver the car?

Any down side to taking off the caps? Is it easy to do? Should I request it when they deliver the car?
Everything you see in the pic was done at Millbrae when I picked up the car. They ordered the lug-nut caps for me and I went there a week later to get those put on.

Does anyone have any notion of how the 20's stack up in this equation?
The 20" tires will be Michelin Pilot Sport EVs, and they are summer tires. They will also have the plastic foam under the tread for noise reduction. They will likely ride similar to the 21" tires.

I wonder if I can make this request with my DA now or they will have no clue...
They "should" considering most have our forum curated list of items, haha

They "should" considering most have our forum curated list of items, haha
Ill email him in a couple days, don't want to email him today because I asked him for a status update yesterday. I'll let you know what they say.

View attachment 2328
Your car looks great . Can I ask a few questions for clarification? Maybe I misunderstood something.

1) That Lucid center disc. It doesn’t come with that? Can you explain more?

2) I didn’t know there are plastic aero covers that can be removed. I thought only the 20” and 21” had removable covers.

3) Can you tell me more about the lug nut caps? What’s the difference with the OEM nut? Does Lucid sell this as an option?

I’m at a decision point regarding possibly changing my order to the 19” from 20”.
Thanks

Your car looks great . Can I ask a few questions for clarification? Maybe I misunderstood something.

1) That Lucid center disc. It doesn’t come with that? Can you explain more?

2) I didn’t know there are plastic aero covers that can be removed. I thought only the 20” and 21” had removable covers.

3) Can you tell me more about the lug nut caps? What’s the difference with the OEM nut? Does Lucid sell this as an option?

I’m at a decision point regarding possibly changing my order to the 19” from 20”.
Thanks

@pam4_AGT Agreed ... inquiring minds want to know! Also, did you get a discount for going with 19's? Currently the website shows no cost difference to "downgrade" to 19's!!! They also look great in your pic! Congrats!

@pam4_AGT Agreed ... inquiring minds want to know! Also, did you get a discount for going with 19's? Currently the website shows no cost difference to "downgrade" to 19's!!! They also look great in your pic! Congrats!
They don’t consider the 19” a downgrade. With the AGT there are no options that effect price. Choose ext and int colors and wheel size. Every combination on the AGT is $139,000. Maybe they could have but they didn’t.

Back