19 vs. 20 vs. 21 tires for Touring

Here are some links that might help.

First, the Tire Rack search for tires that fit the Air:

Second, the Tire Rack review of the Max Performance Summer category:

I've also attached screenshots of the relevant parts. Prices and ratings. It's all about those :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.33.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.33.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.40.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.40.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.27.47.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.28.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 11.28.06.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 145
Looking at these weight ratings I'm actually a bit worried about whether the Michelins can support the loaded weight of the Air. I know this was mentioned before, but when you hover over the explanations of the weight supports it looks like these might be a few hundred pounds short of being safe to use.

Does anyone know the weight of the AGT?

Looking at these weight ratings I'm actually a bit worried about whether the Michelins can support the loaded weight of the Air. I know this was mentioned before, but when you hover over the explanations of the weight supports it looks like these might be a few hundred pounds short of being safe to use.

Does anyone know the weight of the AGT?
curb weight roughly 5200 pounds.

Something went wrong with that post and it was only partial. Let me try that again...

Load index 96 = 1565lbs (Michelin fronts)
Load index 99 = 1709lbs (Pirelli fronts)
Load index 101 = 1819lbs (Michelin rears)
Load index 103 = 1929lbs (Pirelli rears)

So total capacity with the Michelins would be 6768lbs, Pirellis would be 7276lbs. There's a 500lbs spread between those. It's probably alright in most conditions, it means you can have ~1500lbs of people and other cargo before bad things (probably) happen to the tires. It's probably best not to load the tires to their max rating though.

FWIW I also live in MA and have 21" tires on my Model S every summer for the past 4 years. I mostly don't have a problem with either Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S (I've had sets of each). I've popped 2 tires this whole time, so less than 1 per year average. The first tire loss was the day after I got the wheel set, and I chalk it up to installing the tires in April before all the potholes were fixed.

I think this is mostly a Pirelli problem, not a 21" tire problem. I'm mildly concerned with the number of reports of sidewall bubbles here, but I think that can be remedied by just replacing with Michelins. I like the look of the 21's enough that I'm going to risk getting them.
Was in MA, now in NH. Agree with your Michelin experience based on mine with my Panamera GTS's and my concern about the number of sidewall failures with Aero Blade 21" wheels reported on this forum. 20" Lucid wheels will not be available until closer to year-end so I have decided to order 19" wheels and buy a set of 20" wheels/tires when available, as I favor their appearance over the 21" wheels and would prefer the larger contact patches for spring/summer/fall driving. The 19" AS tires when new should be OK, if sub-optimal for winter driving here. I believe that Sottozeros or Michelin winter compound tires will be available for the Lucid 19" wheels later this year. Finally, my DA just informed me that the 21"Aero Blade wheels are cast, not forged. Also, as reported on this forum, they are a bit over 36 lbs, which for me is too heavy for that size wheel.

I just noticed that it seems the Pilot Sport A/S 4 has sizes now for the 21" wheels. That use to not be the case. They have the same weight specs as the Pilot Sport 4S. That might be a good option to have the 21" wheels but avoid having to buy a separate winter set.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 13.11.19.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 13.11.19.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 109
I just noticed that it seems the Pilot Sport A/S 4 has sizes now for the 21" wheels. That use to not be the case. They have the same weight specs as the Pilot Sport 4S. That might be a good option to have the 21" wheels but avoid having to buy a separate winter set.
Yea, I'm definitely planning on replacing the Pirellis with these once this set is up

Another reason I will wait for the 20" wheels is that I understand from my DA that tires will be Michelin summer compound, but there should be winter Michelin's available later this year.

Another reason I will wait for the 20" wheels is that I understand from my DA that tires will be Michelin summer compound, but there should be winter Michelin's available later this year.

Given all the potholes around still unrepaired I will be getting the 20" sometime next year after I have gotten and feel comfortable with lift.

Given all the potholes around still unrepaired I will be getting the 20" sometime next year after I have gotten and feel comfortable with lift.
I can imagine doing the same thing, but think it's more likely I'll just get used to seeing the 19's after a year or so, and would not bother changing them to have better looks but worse range and robustness. Unless some really cool 20" forged wheel becomes available and catches my eye ;).

I can imagine doing the same thing, but think it's more likely I'll just get used to seeing the 19's after a year or so, and would not bother changing them to have better looks but worse range and robustness. Unless some really cool 20" forged wheel becomes available and catches my eye ;).

All it will take is a bad weather day when everyone else gets to stay home and I'll have to still go to the hospital and I'll want snow tires then I'll regret not doing it.

After watching the Edmunds review, very tempted to change my 19" wheel order on the Touring to 20", as I'm in Florida and don't need all season tires. Although will lose some range, better handling and control expected from what the reviewer anticipates. Comfort maybe less, but not that much?
which edmunds review?

I've been driving a GT loaner with 21 Pirelli and I have to say the ride seemed a bit more quiet and responsive than the 20 Michelin.
Would have opted for the 21, but was just concerned about all the blow-out, bubble stories.
Incidentally, the horn on this GT is only one note, unlike the early cars.

I've been driving a GT loaner with 21 Pirelli and I have to say the ride seemed a bit more quiet and responsive than the 20 Michelin.
Would have opted for the 21, but was just concerned about all the blow-out, bubble stories.
All the horns are 2 notes, and that's intentional, to my knowledge; perhaps yours is defective? :p or maybe they changed it!

I feel like the 20s have been a bit quieter on my GT than the 21s were. I haven't done any fun/spirited driving yet to know how the handling is, but I suspect it'll be fine given that they're the same width and summer tires.

All the horns are 2 notes, and that's intentional, to my knowledge; perhaps yours is defective? :p or maybe they changed it!
The two-note is distinctive and pleasant to hear. Probably more costly than a generic. If I remember, I’ll ask the SC.

I got 19s because 20s were not available when my car was ready for delivery in early Oct. last year. I ran winter compound tires and will use them from Nov to April. I have had two AGT loaners, one with 21s and one with 20s. I found the ride much smoother and the handling much better with the 20s and 21s than the 19s. This may be attributable to the lower psi settings than the 19s. The efficiency differential is not substantial based on comments on this forum. The range is good on all wheels and on a X-country drive, I never went below 20% SOC anyway before recharging. I plan to get a set of stock 20" wheels/tires/TMPS. My experience with Michelin has been better than with Pirelli tires. Michelin tires may not last as long but deliver better feedback and handling. Not thrilled about the cast construction of stock Lucid AGT wheels and prefer forged, but staying with factory wheels has always worked well for me.

Yes the AGT looks better with the 20s or 21s than the 19s, but they have prevented damage from the inevitable pothole encounters that I would have endured with the larger wheels.

I got 19s because 20s were not available when my car was ready for delivery in early Oct. last year. I ran winter compound tires and will use them from Nov to April. I have had two AGT loaners, one with 21s and one with 20s. I found the ride much smoother and the handling much better with the 20s and 21s than the 19s. This may be attributable to the lower psi settings than the 19s. The efficiency differential is not substantial based on comments on this forum. The range is good on all wheels and on a X-country drive, I never went below 20% SOC anyway before recharging. I plan to get a set of stock 20" wheels/tires/TMPS. My experience with Michelin has been better than with Pirelli tires. Michelin tires may not last as long but deliver better feedback and handling. Not thrilled about the cast construction of stock Lucid AGT wheels and prefer forged, but staying with factory wheels has always worked well for me.

Yes the AGT looks better with the 20s or 21s than the 19s, but they have prevented damage from the inevitable pothole encounters that I would have endured with the larger wheels.

@victoryroad . I second your comments with one caveat. In my humble opinion, I think much of the 21" problem is due to driving style and tire pressure. 42 lbs is too low for the 21". I am now at 46 and check pressure every two weeks. I loose a psi a week perhaps due to my altitude and varying temps. The car handles much better at 45 and only gives up a tad of comfort. I would rather have the performance and safety edge of more air cushion.

A 19" with 45 sidewall will inherently have fewer issues and is more forgiving. The 20 and 21 take more care. Lower profile tires ALWAYS have taken more care

Having driven Airs with 19 and 21s, the 21s, at 45/46 psi, handle far noticeable better, the car has less oversteer. The car is almost tossible in turns. Almost, for a steamroller.

I have a set of new 19" Michi Pilot Alpin 5s and new wheels waiting for winter. Curious how the Air will handle.

@victoryroad , you keep praying to the Michelin gods for more low profile EV tires, and I will pray to Conti. May one of our prayers get through.

Back