19 vs. 20 vs. 21 tires for Touring

Maryland, by law, requires a tire kit if no spare is provided. I wonder how many cars they have sold in Maryland that did not have a tire repair kit.
I thought that at one point in time, Canada also required spare tire for new vehicles. Any comments from prospective Canadian owners on the forum?

Can you set the tire size in the app or settings in the car?

Nope, at the moment that has to be recalibrated by Service. My understanding is that will be a setting in the future.

I thought that at one point in time, Canada also required spare tire for new vehicles. Any comments from prospective Canadian owners on the forum?
A lot of the vehicles that I have purchased in Canada in the past 10 years have not had a spare tire (they are usually sold with a tire repair kit).

A little off topic - how are you inflating the tire with 19" wheels. The aero cover is pretty flush with the valve. The clamp-on inflator won't work, looks like a screw on type would.

A little off topic - how are you inflating the tire with 19" wheels. The aero cover is pretty flush with the valve. The clamp-on inflator won't work, looks like a screw on type would.

If needed, you can always pop off the aero cover. My clamp-on worked fine though.

$185? $150? Somewhere around there. Can’t remember for certain.
How far do they have to travel to get to you? I think the closest service center to me is somewhere in NY…Maybe 3-4 hrs away.

How far do they have to travel to get to you? I think the closest service center to me is somewhere in NY…Maybe 3-4 hrs away.
Ah, I'm only 30-40 minutes or so from Millbrae. YMMV. :)

Good to know that MD requires a repair kit. I'll make sure prior to my delivery that it is included.
Thanks for the info....
MikeD, Pasadena

Good to know that MD requires a repair kit. I'll make sure prior to my delivery that it is included.
Thanks for the info....
MikeD, Pasadena

If you need the MD Code:

2010 Maryland Code
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 22 - VEHICLE LAWS - EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment
Section 22-405.3 - Spare tires.​

§ 22-405.3. Spare tires.

If a new Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) motor vehicle is sold in this State, the manufacturer shall equip the motor vehicle with a spare tire that conforms with the requirements in § 22-405 of this subtitle, unless:

(1) The tire-wheel system of the motor vehicle provides a run-flat capability by which a partially inflated driving surface becomes available in the event of a tire failure;

(2) The motor vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed temporary tire repair and inflation system; or

(3) Technological improvements, consistent with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, become available.

[1980, ch. 383; 1999, ch. 645; 2010, ch. 681.]

If you need the MD Code:

2010 Maryland Code​

TRANSPORTATION​

TITLE 22 - VEHICLE LAWS - EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES​

Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment​

Section 22-405.3 - Spare tires.​

§ 22-405.3. Spare tires.

If a new Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) motor vehicle is sold in this State, the manufacturer shall equip the motor vehicle with a spare tire that conforms with the requirements in § 22-405 of this subtitle, unless:

(1) The tire-wheel system of the motor vehicle provides a run-flat capability by which a partially inflated driving surface becomes available in the event of a tire failure;

(2) The motor vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed temporary tire repair and inflation system; or

(3) Technological improvements, consistent with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, become available.

[1980, ch. 383; 1999, ch. 645; 2010, ch. 681.]
Wonder if they could pass off Mobile Service as a technological inprovement

Tesla never could. And I have used the Tesla Roadside service at least 3 times over the last 10 years.

I think the winning play is to get 2 sets of 19s shod with run flats, P Zeros in the Summer and Sotto Zero 3s in the winter

In finalizing my order for my GT, I wanted 20" wheels but was told 19" wheels would arrive 4 months faster (arriving in Jul/Aug). Also told that I could order a full spare for the 19".
That's what the delivery point of contact told me.

In finalizing my order for my GT, I wanted 20" wheels but was told 19" wheels would arrive 4 months faster (arriving in Jul/Aug). Also told that I could order a full spare for the 19".
That's what the delivery point of contact told me.
Did they indicate how much they’d charge for a full spare?

No.
They said that'd be settled upon final delivery. I'd coordinate for the spare and other extra items at that time.

I'll also place the order for 5 of the 20" tires/wheels as well.
Living in rural New Hampshire, not a lot of support out here from Lucid.....yet.

I'm curious how the actual range will work out for the 20" rims. I'll bet it will be closer to the range of the 21" wheels than midway between the 19 and 21. Both the 20" and 21" use max performance summer tires, but the 19's use all-season, which typically have lower rolling resistance.

I'm sure this is only 'version 1.' Soon, other 20"s and 21"s will be available with 'all season' performance.
We're all along for the changes that'll be coming for the next several years.

Back