19 vs. 20 vs. 21 tires for Touring

After watching the Edmunds review, very tempted to change my 19" wheel order on the Touring to 20", as I'm in Florida and don't need all season tires. Although will lose some range, better handling and control expected from what the reviewer anticipates. Comfort maybe less, but not that much?

You should check if that'll delay the delivery of the car. I was told it would as the larger tires were available.

You should check if that'll delay the delivery of the car. I was told it would as the larger tires were available.
I don't think much, as the Touring is already Q3 '22, and I'm pretty far down the list, so I'm probably looking at Q1 '24 for delivery.

Makes sense.
I'll order the second set of tires (20" + a spare) when I get my car delivered in Q3.'22.

At least one. I'm in Maryland and I didn't receive a tire repair kit.

Call your advisor and let them know about the MD law. I had to inform Tesla in 2012 of this law as well. They were quick to provide the inflation kit. I would hope Lucid would be quick as well.

Call your advisor and let them know about the MD law. I had to inform Tesla in 2012 of this law as well. They were quick to provide the inflation kit. I would hope Lucid would be quick as well.
Thanks for the info. I'll request it and let you know the result.

Has anyone been successful in utilizing wheel lug locks for the Lucid Air Grand Touring (21" wheels) (McGuard for example)?

Has anyone been successful in utilizing wheel lug locks for the Lucid Air Grand Touring (21" wheels) (McGuard for example)?
Those wheel locks only add about 8 seconds of theft time per wheel, smash a socket onto the wheel lock and let the battery operated impact rip.

I emailed my DA five days ago to request a change to my GT order from 20" to 19" wheels. Haven't heard back yet. It'll be interesting to hear the new delivery date estimate.

I do like the look of the 21s. 7000 miles and I just lost second tire to a sidewall bulge. No significant pot hole. No other damage to rim or tire, just the bulge in the sidewall. The 19s will probably not have this issue, better comfort, better range. I’m not running out to buy 19” rims, but they are the more practical choice. Choose wisely. I like the 21s. I also expect that failures of this type will be pretty common.

I do like the look of the 21s. 7000 miles and I just lost second tire to a sidewall bulge. No significant pot hole. No other damage to rim or tire, just the bulge in the sidewall. The 19s will probably not have this issue, better comfort, better range. I’m not running out to buy 19” rims, but they are the more practical choice. Choose wisely. I like the 21s. I also expect that failures of this type will be pretty common.
Did you replace them with the Pirellis or find a set of Michelins?

... I like the 21s. I also expect that failures of this type will be pretty common.
Tires of 35 aspect ratio and below look very cool, but have similar disadvantages to high heels.

Did you replace them with the Pirellis or find a set of Michelins?
The Alpina came with Michelin Pilot Sports and I never changed. I bought a lot of tires for that car. It is still one of my favorite cars I ever owned.

Since Lucid replaced last tire at NC, I am sticking with the Pirellis on the Air for now.

This is probably old news for many, but actually new for me.
Just visited the Fashion Square Lucid studio and learned that the 20 and 21 tires for the Touring are staggered whereas the 19 inch are the same width for all four.
I probably will opt for the 19, which are also four-season, as opposed to summer, and high-performance, respectively for the 20 and 21.
Was also told probably mid summer for production.
So I ordered the 21s but since I live in MA will need to swap those out when the weather turns. Anyone have recommendations for 19 inch winter tire/wheel solutions?

So I ordered the 21s but since I live in MA will need to swap those out when the weather turns. Anyone have recommendations for 19 inch winter tire/wheel solutions?
I’d be curious to know as well

FWIW I also live in MA and have 21" tires on my Model S every summer for the past 4 years. I mostly don't have a problem with either Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S (I've had sets of each). I've popped 2 tires this whole time, so less than 1 per year average. The first tire loss was the day after I got the wheel set, and I chalk it up to installing the tires in April before all the potholes were fixed.

I think this is mostly a Pirelli problem, not a 21" tire problem. I'm mildly concerned with the number of reports of sidewall bubbles here, but I think that can be remedied by just replacing with Michelins. I like the look of the 21's enough that I'm going to risk getting them.

I am planning to order either 21 or 20 wheel in the future. I need to get a lift first, LOL!

Knowing this will lean toward Michelins.

i recall seeing some conversations around the weight of Lucid and how fewer tires are there that support that kind of weight. I think Michelin tires with XL rating supports them? i'm not sure.

Back