1,000 Mile Review - Outstanding Vehicle...But

LuciPearl

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Having just reached 1000 miles I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the Air. No need to go over features etc as those things are covered in other posts. They are also covered in youtube and other reviews. This is simply to give my thoughts on new learnings I've had actually owning the vehicle that perhaps weren't covered enough in reviews.

Delivery Quality - I was prepared for many of the issues I had read about here. As I went through the checklist provided on this site I was impressed with the finished product. I found two items, both in the drivers seat. The left side bolster was not working....right side worked, left side did not. The lumbar support worked when using the buttons on the left side of the seat, it did not work when using the pilot panel. While I was impressed with fit and finish I'm not the best person to evaluate that. Days after receiving the car I brought it in for tinting and ppf on the front facing components of the car. The professionals were impressed with the finish, both the surfaces they placed the ppf and around the entire car.

People - It has been mentioned by others, I just did not think there would be so many people who want to talk about the car or take pictures of it. It was nice at first, it is now bothersome. Though it was amusing as I approached a stop sign and to my right was a couple leaving a restaurant. I could read her lips as she said "What the **** is that?"

Canopy - I love the canopy. In the couple of days before a ceramic tint was applied the DFW weather was 105 degrees and sunny. I'm 6'4" and probably closer to the canopy than most people. I could feel the heat on this bald head. However, once the tint was applied, it works beautifully! No more hot head for me. Many people here in sunny hot climates are not bothered by the canopy heat, I was. If you are tall be aware you might be deciding to get the canopy tinted. I added the tint everywhere and it looks great with the black paint....but the big reason for the tint was the heat.

Service - Unfortunately I've discovered the service is very responsive. I've discovered it because the vehicle is currently at a service center for a 12V battery issue (reported in detail by me elsewhere on this board). While I'm not happy with this event, I am impressed with the service.

Drive/Ride - I also have a 2015 S Class, a beautiful vehicle with more than 140K miles. I have wavered back and forth on which is the better riding vehicle, but I give the edge to the Air. It simply feels more in touch with the road without the floaty-ness of the S Class. The Air does have 19" wheels that contributes to the ride quality. I suspect if I had the 21" inch wheels I might conclude the S Class is the better ride. I honestly can't speak with authority on drivability from a sports car perspective as I have not adequately tested the Air, nor will I. At 68 years old I'm not into 0-60 times or carving through mountain roads at a relatively high speed; wherever I am you will find me about 5% below the posted speed limit.

Efficiency/Range - Through 1000 miles I'm getting 3.8 mi/kWh. Probably not a surprise given my typical speed. Love the range given our frequent road trips. No range anxiety at all.

Fast Charging - This is more about Electrify America than it is Lucid. I've used two EA sites, Denton TX (3 times) and Round Rock TX (twice). I hate the Denton site because of the position of a curb that is there. Denton is also not the site to be at on a Saturday afternoon, far too crowded on my one Saturday visit. I've also had to move the car a couple of times to find a working charger. I love Round Rock, many stalls. Overall I'm pretty pleased with EA and would feel confident on a long road trip. But I recognize my sample size is small and on a long trip I could encounter some difficulties.

Interior - Comparing to the S class there is a big difference in the interiors. I love the relative simplicity of the Air interior and its materials, my wife prefers the wood of the S Class. For both of us the learning curve for the Air panels has not been significant, a pleasant surprise for both of us. We both agree it is much simpler than the multiple layers in the S Class.

Entertainment - Not good now. I miss my Sirius XM news and sports more than I thought I would.

Would I Buy It Again - This is the But in the title. This is truly an outstanding vehicle, I love it. But, I should not have bought the Air. It is not the Air's fault, it is mine. I'm soon to be 69, I'm 6'4" and 290 lbs on a good day, I have arthritis, and a history of back problems. This was my #1 concern when buying the car. But my love for all the engineering and bi-directional charging, in combination with a couple of reviews where people approximately my size didn't have a big concern about ingress/egress, I felt confident I could modify my method for entry/exit to have no impact on me. Initially I thought I was right......enter the vehicle bottom first, slide bottom back in the seat toward the passenger, tilt head toward B pillar, slowly duck and enter, swing feet into the vehicle. Reverse to exit. My wife cringes watching me. Once in the car there is so much room that I quickly forget the entry issue. But I am starting to feel it in my back and I'm concerned about a repetitive stress injury to my lower back. Younger people my size may not have an issue. but this aging body does. Around the 300 mile mark I got on the Gravity reservation list as an option in the event I was later bothered by entry/exit. By 1000 miles I knew I'm getting the Gravity. So I considered my options....do I keep the Air I and hope I have no issues until the Gravity comes out....or do I sell the Air and keep this old S Class until the Gravity comes out. It is going to be sold. I caution larger people....and older people whose flexible days are past them, get to a Sales Studio. I wasn't going to drive 4 hours to my nearest one, I should have.

That's it. Stay healthy everyone!

Having just reached 1000 miles I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the Air. No need to go over features etc as those things are covered in other posts. They are also covered in youtube and other reviews. This is simply to give my thoughts on new learnings I've had actually owning the vehicle that perhaps weren't covered enough in reviews.

Delivery Quality - I was prepared for many of the issues I had read about here. As I went through the checklist provided on this site I was impressed with the finished product. I found two items, both in the drivers seat. The left side bolster was not working....right side worked, left side did not. The lumbar support worked when using the buttons on the left side of the seat, it did not work when using the pilot panel. While I was impressed with fit and finish I'm not the best person to evaluate that. Days after receiving the car I brought it in for tinting and ppf on the front facing components of the car. The professionals were impressed with the finish, both the surfaces they placed the ppf and around the entire car.

People - It has been mentioned by others, I just did not think there would be so many people who want to talk about the car or take pictures of it. It was nice at first, it is now bothersome. Though it was amusing as I approached a stop sign and to my right was a couple leaving a restaurant. I could read her lips as she said "What the **** is that?"

Canopy - I love the canopy. In the couple of days before a ceramic tint was applied the DFW weather was 105 degrees and sunny. I'm 6'4" and probably closer to the canopy than most people. I could feel the heat on this bald head. However, once the tint was applied, it works beautifully! No more hot head for me. Many people here in sunny hot climates are not bothered by the canopy heat, I was. If you are tall be aware you might be deciding to get the canopy tinted. I added the tint everywhere and it looks great with the black paint....but the big reason for the tint was the heat.

Service - Unfortunately I've discovered the service is very responsive. I've discovered it because the vehicle is currently at a service center for a 12V battery issue (reported in detail by me elsewhere on this board). While I'm not happy with this event, I am impressed with the service.

Drive/Ride - I also have a 2015 S Class, a beautiful vehicle with more than 140K miles. I have wavered back and forth on which is the better riding vehicle, but I give the edge to the Air. It simply feels more in touch with the road without the floaty-ness of the S Class. The Air does have 19" wheels that contributes to the ride quality. I suspect if I had the 21" inch wheels I might conclude the S Class is the better ride. I honestly can't speak with authority on drivability from a sports car perspective as I have not adequately tested the Air, nor will I. At 68 years old I'm not into 0-60 times or carving through mountain roads at a relatively high speed; wherever I am you will find me about 5% below the posted speed limit.

Efficiency/Range - Through 1000 miles I'm getting 3.8 mi/kWh. Probably not a surprise given my typical speed. Love the range given our frequent road trips. No range anxiety at all.

Fast Charging - This is more about Electrify America than it is Lucid. I've used two EA sites, Denton TX (3 times) and Round Rock TX (twice). I hate the Denton site because of the position of a curb that is there. Denton is also not the site to be at on a Saturday afternoon, far too crowded on my one Saturday visit. I've also had to move the car a couple of times to find a working charger. I love Round Rock, many stalls. Overall I'm pretty pleased with EA and would feel confident on a long road trip. But I recognize my sample size is small and on a long trip I could encounter some difficulties.

Interior - Comparing to the S class there is a big difference in the interiors. I love the relative simplicity of the Air interior and its materials, my wife prefers the wood of the S Class. For both of us the learning curve for the Air panels has not been significant, a pleasant surprise for both of us. We both agree it is much simpler than the multiple layers in the S Class.

Entertainment - Not good now. I miss my Sirius XM news and sports more than I thought I would.

Would I Buy It Again - This is the But in the title. This is truly an outstanding vehicle, I love it. But, I should not have bought the Air. It is not the Air's fault, it is mine. I'm soon to be 69, I'm 6'4" and 290 lbs on a good day, I have arthritis, and a history of back problems. This was my #1 concern when buying the car. But my love for all the engineering and bi-directional charging, in combination with a couple of reviews where people approximately my size didn't have a big concern about ingress/egress, I felt confident I could modify my method for entry/exit to have no impact on me. Initially I thought I was right......enter the vehicle bottom first, slide bottom back in the seat toward the passenger, tilt head toward B pillar, slowly duck and enter, swing feet into the vehicle. Reverse to exit. My wife cringes watching me. Once in the car there is so much room that I quickly forget the entry issue. But I am starting to feel it in my back and I'm concerned about a repetitive stress injury to my lower back. Younger people my size may not have an issue. but this aging body does. Around the 300 mile mark I got on the Gravity reservation list as an option in the event I was later bothered by entry/exit. By 1000 miles I knew I'm getting the Gravity. So I considered my options....do I keep the Air I and hope I have no issues until the Gravity comes out....or do I sell the Air and keep this old S Class until the Gravity comes out. It is going to be sold. I caution larger people....and older people whose flexible days are past them, get to a Sales Studio. I wasn't going to drive 4 hours to my nearest one, I should have.

Ha Ha I can relate to all your issues should done similar DD and yes the Denton EA sucks big time especially for the Air with its low front end and their slanting parking spot.

Who did your ceramic tint. Was it DFW CLEAR Bra up near Preston and Frankford. At least on my GT the AC just cannot handle the Dallas heat no matter what.

Hope you get your car back soon.

Ha Ha I can relate to all your issues should done similar DD and yes the Denton EA sucks big time especially for the Air with its low front end and their slanting parking spot.

Who did your ceramic tint. Was it DFW CLEAR Bra up near Preston and Frankford. At least on my GT the AC just cannot handle the Dallas heat no matter what.

Hope you get your car back soon.
XPEL in dallas nera Love Field. Knowledgable people, had done multiple Airs before mine. Clean shop with quite a few exotic vehicles. I was impressed. In the last two weeks we've had a number of sunny days with with temps approaching 100 and the tint handled it without issue. The temps were lower than the 105 or so we had prior to tinting, but I believe the heat inside the vehicle is much attributable to direct sunlight on a cloudless day rather than exterior temperatures. I say that because get the sun disappearing behind a cloud for a few minutes and you can notice a change, tint or no tint. Good luck!

XPEL in dallas nera Love Field. Knowledgable people, had done multiple Airs before mine. Clean shop with quite a few exotic vehicles. I was impressed. In the last two weeks we've had a number of sunny days with with temps approaching 100 and the tint handled it without issue. The temps were lower than the 105 or so we had prior to tinting, but I believe the heat inside the vehicle is much attributable to direct sunlight on a cloudless day rather than exterior temperatures. I say that because get the sun disappearing behind a cloud for a few minutes and you can notice a change, tint or no tint. Good luck!
Thank you. Do you feel comfortable sharing what you paid for it? If not can you please share their phone number. They all do exotics for the most part.

Great review. I'm a little younger and use to getting in and out of a Corvette, non the less the 7 series BMW is much easier to get in and out of. I'm impressed you are getting 3.8 miles kWh. I'm at 10K miles and at 2.9. Driving style matters! I hope you find the Gravity a better fit. Thanks for the review.

Great review; I’m 35 so have no issues getting into and out of the car :)

Oh, re: the wheels; I think you’d be surprised at how compliant the 21s are. Granted they are a bit more tight on the road, but still an extremely pleasant drive.

Oh, re: the wheels; I think you’d be surprised at how compliant the 21s are. Granted they are a bit more tight on the road, but still an extremely pleasant drive.
I agree the 21s ride ok. I've had to replace 2 for side wall bulges.

As a 77 year old with arthritis and stenosis I feel for you. This may be one of the few times I am glad I am 5'7" (used to be 5'8" but old age took an inch away from me). I am still on the waiting list for my Pure but your method of ingress is my method for my current DD (BMW 530e).

As a 77 year old with arthritis and stenosis I feel for you. This may be one of the few times I am glad I am 5'7" (used to be 5'8" but old age took an inch away from me). I am still on the waiting list for my Pure but your method of ingress is my method for my current DD (BMW 530e).
Thank you for sharing your age. I've had a couple of family members tell I'm too old to be experimenting with a new EV company and vehicle...as well as being too old to install solar and bi-directional charging. With the solar panels the advice was "why get it, you'll be gone before it can pay for itself". I think every person regardless of age should have some concern for the environment and should be worried about grid failures. Which reminds me.....now that I have solar I need to add a whole house generator as an additional safeguard.

Thank you for sharing your age. I've had a couple of family members tell I'm too old to be experimenting with a new EV company and vehicle...as well as being too old to install solar and bi-directional charging. With the solar panels the advice was "why get it, you'll be gone before it can pay for itself". I think every person regardless of age should have some concern for the environment and should be worried about grid failures. Which reminds me.....now that I have solar I need to add a whole house generator as an additional safeguard.
Last year I played golf with a 92 year old. he still drove a car. So long as my issues are mechanical (arthritis, etc.) I will continue to drive and enjoy driving. If I didn't still enjoy driving I would be getting a Bolt and saving a bundle for my kids inheritance.

I'm 71 and thought it was a little difficult, but got used to it. They could make it easier but I think that would mess with the aerodynamics.

Great write-up, thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for my Black stealth AT, so I still have a few (hopefully) months to wait... I turn 67 next week and share your concerns about ingress/egress. I have been able to sit in (but not test drive) two Airs and am excited to get this as my daily driver. On a related topic, we currently live in McKinney but will be soon basing out of east TX where we installed solar due to our grid (un)reliability. The 100 mile commute to and from McKinney is another reason for us getting this EV. I am very interested in sharing notes about your thoughts on bi-directional charging. Any chance we could chat on the phone or face to face?

Great write-up, thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for my Black stealth AT, so I still have a few (hopefully) months to wait... I turn 67 next week and share your concerns about ingress/egress. I have been able to sit in (but not test drive) two Airs and am excited to get this as my daily driver. On a related topic, we currently live in McKinney but will be soon basing out of east TX where we installed solar due to our grid (un)reliability. The 100 mile commute to and from McKinney is another reason for us getting this EV. I am very interested in sharing notes about your thoughts on bi-directional charging. Any chance we could chat on the phone or face to face?
While bi-directional charging is the future, I am reconsidering installing it at this time. My thinking is to wait until others have done it. I currently have 42 panels with Enphase microinverters and 30kWh of Enphase battery backup. The Wunderbox is so revolutionary I'm concerned about compatibility with the solar and solar battery backup. Enphase owns a a charger company (ClipperCreek) and they plan to have a bidirectional charger available once standards are finalized (much like Lucid). I've decided to wait until all this sorts out.

Additionally, I've decided to sell the car. The ingress/egress issue is too much for my lower back. I'm on the Gravity list so I think my timing for bidirectional charging might be 2024.

A 100 mile commute is a long commute. But I can honestly say there isn't another vehicle I'd rather do the commute in! Best of luck to you.

There is a lot of confusion with the term Bi-derctional. The power pack is DC. The car manufacturer provides the hardware needed to convert the DC (usually 400 Volt or 900 Volt) to 240VAC 60HZ so it can emulate the Utility in voltage and frequency, and not interfere within existing appliances and electronic devices. How the 240VAC connects to the house depends on the local codes which typically follow NFPA 70: National Electrical codes but have their own unique requirements. From what I have seen so far, none of the systems, the car manufacturers are providing, are designed to run in sync with the utility and require a physical switch to select which source will feed power to the house distribution panel (breaker box).

There is a lot of confusion with the term Bi-derctional. The power pack is DC. The car manufacturer provides the hardware needed to convert the DC (usually 400 Volt or 900 Volt) to 240VAC 60HZ so it can emulate the Utility in voltage and frequency, and not interfere within existing appliances and electronic devices. How the 240VAC connects to the house depends on the local codes which typically follow NFPA 70: National Electrical codes but have their own unique requirements. From what I have seen so far, none of the systems, the car manufacturers are providing, are designed to run in sync with the utility and require a physical switch to select which source will feed power to the house distribution panel (breaker box).
True, it takes an automatic transfer switch -- 240 Vac, 60 Hz. Ford 150 EV has or will sell one to install at your house panel ~$5,000 for the ats alone not installed not other materials -- not inexpensive.

Would I Buy It Again - This is the But in the title…
Around the 300 mile mark I got on the Gravity reservation list as an option in the event I was later bothered by entry/exit. By 1000 miles I knew I'm getting the Gravity. So I considered my options....do I keep the Air I and hope I have no issues until the Gravity comes out....or do I sell the Air and keep this old S Class until the Gravity comes out. It is going to be sold. I caution larger people....and older people whose flexible days are past them, get to a Sales Studio. I wasn't going to drive 4 hours to my nearest one, I should have.

I have been been both Denton and RoundRock EA station once. They are as night and day in contrast. Round Rock station might possibly be the biggest EA station in Texas.

I can relate issue of getting in and out of car. I hope you enjoy Gravity. Im sure it will be a classy luxurous ride.
Please join the Texas owners’s thread.

Thread 'ALL TEXAS OWNERS (or future owners) please post on this thread'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/all-texas-owners-or-future-owners-please-post-on-this-thread.2404/

Thanks for the comment on the 21s, I was beginning to second guess my decision V the 19s

Ha. I'm 70 and was 5-8. Also had a severe, crippling (hydro condone level) sciatica attack a few years ago that laid me low and left me with a cane for a while. The cure (after the spinal shots) was PT and yoga and covid (covid made me drop 70 pounds. fear of drowning in your own snot is a powerful motivator). Old people need to stretch every day. Still, I bang my 5-7 head every time I forget to duck in or out of the car. Much sympathy for my tall brothers here. The car is awesome but I definitely see your point.

Looks like our owner demographics are quite tightly grouped.

Back