Wipers, Cameras, Driver Assist Issues

debsen63

Cars
2023 Lucid Air Touring
We just got our 2023 Lucid Touring and have put on around 1000 miles on it. Last night, we drove in moderate rain up the Hudson Valley. The auto wipers (Lo and Hi) were entirely inadequate, as though there was no rain sensors at all. We got splashed by passing cars, rain from above at various speeds and none of that seemed to activate the wipers in those auto settings. With the location of the manual wiper settings where they are, it was downright hazardous to have to focus on those icons and still have control of the steering wheel. Second, for the entire trip, the cameras stopped working, from the time we pulled out of the curbside parking in Brooklyn, to the time we were trying to make way for an ambulance in stop-and-go traffic in Manhattan, and pulled up to our garage in the Hudson Valley. Front, Rear, Surround View ... none of these worked. All we got were black/blank screens. Lastly, during that entire drive, Adaptive Cruise did work but Driver Assist would not be activated.

I am new to EV, was used to Infinitis and Audis in the past fifteen years. And nothing prepared me for this.

...I am new to EV, was used to Infinitis and Audis in the past fifteen years. And nothing prepared me for this.
I imagine you've scheduled a service visit by now. Lucid will take care of it.
EVs are in general less problematic than similar ICE vehicles from the same manufacturer. Lucid is a startup with a ground-up new car design. There will be some issues you wouldn't expect from an older car design or a more established manufacturer.

In an emergency pinch, remember you can quick press the end of the left steering wheel stalk to make the wipers swipe. You can repeat until you can safely turn the wipers on manually.

In an emergency pinch, remember you can quick press the end of the left steering wheel stalk to make the wipers swipe. You can repeat until you can safely turn the wipers on manually.
Good tip. I also find I need to switch to manual wipers more often than not. Auto wipers are one of those features software developers think they have nailed, but they aren’t even close. It’s like auto parking There’s almost no way to do the feature in a way that would be comfortable to everyone.

I wish Lucid would just admit that and offer four or five manual speeds instead of two.

... I wish Lucid would just admit that and offer four or five manual speeds instead of two.
As well as a physical control (perhaps on/added to the stalks) instead of an area of the touch screen...

Why not just set the wipers to low or high instead of auto low or auto high?

On Thursday,, I drove through a long-lasting and large rainstorm on the PA Turnpike and then PA 309. Wipers were set on auto-low and were effectively responsive to the different driving conditions. I was pleased. I was also pleased with how quiet the Touring was.

I have had days where the auto-wipers worked well, and days when they just wound't trigger no matter how much water hit the windshield. It's really inconsistent. And when that happens and I have to switch to manual mode, I have to focus on that tiny touch screen to do it, making me an unsafe driver for a few seconds. Not having a real control for the wipers was a poor design choice.

Second, for the entire trip, the cameras stopped working, from the time we pulled out of the curbside parking in Brooklyn, to the time we were trying to make way for an ambulance in stop-and-go traffic in Manhattan, and pulled up to our garage in the Hudson Valley. Front, Rear, Surround View ... none of these worked. All we got were black/blank screens. Lastly, during that entire drive, Adaptive Cruise did work but Driver Assist would not be activated.
That's really strange...I've had my turn signal cameras temporarily stop working once before, but not all cameras. I've also had Highway Assist stop working and it required a recalibration from the service tech & then it showed up again, but this wasn't associated with the camera issue. Overall, this isn't a typical owner experience so hopefully they can fix it quickly for you.

We just got our 2023 Lucid Touring and have put on around 1000 miles on it. Last night, we drove in moderate rain up the Hudson Valley. The auto wipers (Lo and Hi) were entirely inadequate, as though there was no rain sensors at all. We got splashed by passing cars, rain from above at various speeds and none of that seemed to activate the wipers in those auto settings. With the location of the manual wiper settings where they are, it was downright hazardous to have to focus on those icons and still have control of the steering wheel. Second, for the entire trip, the cameras stopped working, from the time we pulled out of the curbside parking in Brooklyn, to the time we were trying to make way for an ambulance in stop-and-go traffic in Manhattan, and pulled up to our garage in the Hudson Valley. Front, Rear, Surround View ... none of these worked. All we got were black/blank screens. Lastly, during that entire drive, Adaptive Cruise did work but Driver Assist would not be activated.

I am new to EV, was used to Infinitis and Audis in the past fifteen years. And nothing prepared me for this.
Probably need a quick reboot. That should do the trick.

That's really strange...I've had my turn signal cameras temporarily stop working once before, but not all cameras. I've also had Highway Assist stop working and it required a recalibration from the service tech & then it showed up again, but this wasn't associated with the camera issue. Overall, this isn't a typical owner experience so hopefully they can fix it quickly for you.
An update on the cameras: Lucid customer service was responsive. They suggested that I reboot the infotainment/screens. After that, I tried the cameras and they worked just fine.

I have had days where the auto-wipers worked well, and days when they just wound't trigger no matter how much water hit the windshield. It's really inconsistent. And when that happens and I have to switch to manual mode, I have to focus on that tiny touch screen to do it, making me an unsafe driver for a few seconds. Not having a real control for the wipers was a poor design choice.
An update: Lucid customer service suggested a reboot. Which I did. A day later, I got an OTA update from Lucid. Later that afternoon, we drove through some rain and the wipers worked adequately. I do not know what caused the issue in the first place, and if it was corrected by either of the software fixes. And I can only be confidently reassured through more driving through rain.

An update on the malfunctioning Highway Assist: I got an OTA update on Sunday morning. Per the release notes, it addresses "stability issues". At any rate, the Highway Assist functionality issue is now fixed.

Back