Wipers Breaking In The Rain.

Bus Driver

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla MX, MS; Air GT
For the first time in my brief but happy career as a Lucid owner, I have to ask - WHAT THE EFF, LUCID?!?!

Getting back to my car after finishing a trip at LAX, I begin my 140 mile drive home at approximately 2300 hrs in the evening. I knew I had to stop to charge somewhere along the way because my battery percentage was at 32%. Not enough charge to make the whole way home.

Just as I got on the freeway a light rain began. I turned on my wipers. Everything worked normally for about three minutes. Then, pandemonium on my windscreen broke loose. The drivers side wiper went out of sync, jammed itself under the other wiper, causing it to fail too. Now both wipers were stopped. Presently, I could no longer see out of my car.

I very carefully exited the freeway, and gingerly made my way to an EA charging station. As my luck would have it, my good luck at EA charging stations ran out. All three stalls had had their charging rates reduced. Not that this is going to matter in this rainy night, I can’t see where I’m going anyway.

This was, is, going to be a very long night. While the car was charging I got out into the rain and took the following pictures. What a perfect time for my wipers to fail on me. This rain isn’t forecast to let up until morning. In fact it’s getting stronger as I sit here and type. I don’t see how I’ll be able to complete my 140 mile drive home tonight. I can’t see in front of me. I have to lean over to my right and see out of the centre of my windshield. It’s dark, visibility is poor, and I can’t see lane markings. It’s just too difficult to drive.

My next step will be to text Lucid Ssrvice.

Bitch and Moan session over. For now.

Attachments

• 87072C25-C915-413B-93F0-AC0214F1DB24.jpeg
    87072C25-C915-413B-93F0-AC0214F1DB24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
  • A538923B-BFED-4A00-85CE-1B43431BED91.jpeg
    A538923B-BFED-4A00-85CE-1B43431BED91.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 250
  • EE7E31D9-4081-497F-8837-1FC5F2AC6F43.jpeg
    EE7E31D9-4081-497F-8837-1FC5F2AC6F43.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
  • 9D597C01-4B9B-4C44-8B94-C24F404118AA.jpeg
    9D597C01-4B9B-4C44-8B94-C24F404118AA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5828.MOV
    8.1 MB
Wild! I have literally never seen this. I’m assuming it’s just as simple as replacing the wipers, but that sucks. Let us know how it goes.

Did... You get home?

Hope you finally got home okay?? My windshield is treated with a ceramic coating so if I drive fast enough can get by without the wipers, but totally agree losing them is not acceptable under any circumstances!!

My experience wasn't as bad as yours but the first time we got some decent rain in CA the auto wipers failed to work. Had to use the manual override in order to see out the window. I would have been fuming if I had your experience. Hope it gets fixed quickly.

Hope you finally got home okay?? My windshield is treated with a ceramic coating so if I drive fast enough can get by without the wipers, but totally agree losing them is not acceptable under any circumstances!!

UPDATE:

Good Morning, Everyone!

I have to say, I’m vastly impressed with Lucid’s Customer Service.

I actually got a real, live human response via text well after midnight on a dark and rainy Sunday in Inglewood CA, at an EA DC fast charger, offering only “reduced power”. I knew it was real human being because he/she asked me to do a power reset. I balked of course because this meant stepping out in the rain again. It didn’t work.

I was assured that somebody from Lucid Service Costa Mesa CA will be contacting me today or tomorrow. I believe them. I ended up checking into an hotel nearby, and spending the night up in the Los Angeles area.

In the meantime, in the light of day of this morning, I was able to better assess the problem. It appears as though the base of the driver side wiper arm is twisted. In fact, it rubs up against the underside of the frunk lid. Also, when I switch the wipers OFF, they no longer stow in the fully concealed position, at the base of the windshield. I have to push both blades down so that they’re out of sight.

This wiper repair may be quite involved, most likely involving the replacement of the driver side wiper arm and blade. At the very least:

Attachments

• IMG_1430.MOV
    12 MB
  • DCBCAAC3-ADBC-46E9-B241-817E192BD706.jpeg
    DCBCAAC3-ADBC-46E9-B241-817E192BD706.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
  • B249B8E8-53CF-4DB9-8907-FEAA1CD78D30.jpeg
    B249B8E8-53CF-4DB9-8907-FEAA1CD78D30.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • A60E4A15-D3D0-4C25-92C2-D2E0A956265D.jpeg
    A60E4A15-D3D0-4C25-92C2-D2E0A956265D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
UPDATE:

Good Morning, Everyone!

I actually got a real, live human response via text well after midnight on a dark and rainy Sunday in Inglewood CA, at an EA DC fast charger, offering only “reduced power”. I knew it was real human being because he/she asked me to do a power reset. I balked of course because this meant stepping out in the rain again. It didn’t work.

I was assured that somebody from Lucid Service Costa Mesa CA will be contacting me today or tomorrow. I believe them. I ended up checking into an hotel nearby, and spending the night up in the Los Angeles area.

In the meantime, in the light of day of this morning, I was able to better assess the problem. It appears as though the base of the driver side wiper arm is twisted. In fact, it rubs up against the underside of the frunk lid. Also, when I switch the wipers OFF, they no longer stow in the fully concealed position, at the base of the windshield. I have to push both blades down so that they’re out of sight.

This wiper repair may be quite involved, most likely involving the replacement of the driver side wiper arm and blade. At the very least:
Dang that sucks! Inglewood is closer to Beverly Hills. Maybe drive it over there?

UPDATE:

Good Morning, Everyone!

What a wild and random issue. Glad to hear you’re safe and Lucid is taking care of you. I’d give Beverly Hills a call!

Sounds like one of the blade arms slipped, got out of sync, then got hit buy the other which caused it to buckle. Hopefully there isn't any paint damage.

Someone else on here had something similar happen where one or both of the wiper arms were loose and just needed to be tightened.

Dang that sucks! Inglewood is closer to Beverly Hills. Maybe drive it over there?

I forgot to mention in my update that I waited until 0800 hrs this morning for a nearby AutoZone to open. There, I picked up some RainX rain repellent and some micro fibre cloths.

I treated the windshield before driving home this to San Diego this morning. Much to my astonishment the stuff actually works! And, yes, it rained almost continuously, from about San Clemente, all the way down. Good thing I’d done it.

Beverly Hills was certainly an option, as was Costa Mesa. But with four days of dirty laundry, and just being bone tired, I just wanted to get home.

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me yesterday. I am not sure if the blades are twisted as I haven't closely inspected. I was able to turn off the wipers and then manually lift the drivers side up a bit from the stowed position so it was higher and then restart the wipers and they worked fine for a while then at some point the drivers side wiper got caught by the passenger side one again. I texted Lucid yesterday and am awaiting a call from service. Considering how it is iced over in Dallas today It might be a couple of days before I get a call.

IMG_0913.jpeg

I think some people had blades that were loose and required tightening of a screw.

I think some people had blades that were loose and required tightening of a screw.
I was one of them. I could see how that could lead to the wipers getting tangled together. Lucid probably should check the wipers whenever it does a first service on a car.

If this is something that we can do ourselves and save a service call, I certainly would like more details.
Definitely!! OBTW - had my first chance to drive in a full downpour yesterday and experience how bad the auto-high setting on the wipers is - totally ineffective and hazardous. Lucid needs to address this quickly.

If this is something that we can do ourselves and save a service call, I certainly would like more details.
It took the tech 5 minutes. Opened the frunk, removed wiper blade cover (black plastic cover in front of windshield), tightened it down and put everything back together

It took the tech 5 minutes. Opened the frunk, removed wiper blade cover (black plastic cover in front of windshield), tightened it down and put everything back together
This would a great, short, and sweet video for the forum's how to section.

I had the tech call me to make an appointment and he said that was probably what was needed. Crossing my fingers that this is the problem.

Oh, geez. I’m such a drama queen. I told our local Lucid Service phone rep, Jenn, that a whole wiper arm assembly would need to be ordered, because it looked like it got twisted up. I’m hoping all my wipers need is a good tightening down.

Then again there’s the matter of the wiper arms hitting the underside of the frunk lid. I’m sure they never did that before.

Anxiously awaiting the appearance of the inestimable Frank Collins, our San Diego Lucid Mobile Tech. He’ll be coming to the house next week.

I agree with the ceramic coating idea. I have it & rain just beads up. It doesn't make wipers unnecessary, but it sure gives you a much better chance of finding where you're going if the wipers crap out.

Curious question just general maintenance on the wiper blades. Can you get new blades from autozone in general or does it require service visit.

Back