• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Winter is coming

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Probably not the questions to be asking after buying the car but...

- Does the car have heated side mirrors?
- Has anyone else noticed that the rear defrost is pretty slow?
- Anyone have thoughts on how to handle ice and snow banks when the car has such low clearance?
- Any tips on driving with regen braking when roads are slippery?

@Dortreo are you planning on running a winter specific tire being in Boston? I'd suggest it highly from my time on the east coast with higher power / higher curb weight cars. In terms of braking in winter with regen, I liken regen (in all conditions) to engine braking with a manual transmission car. If anything, it should be advantageous as you are able to theoretically slow the car without potential for locking up the tires and sliding the car. Generally, slippery roads (in my understanding) means untreated, icy roads, and any vehicle will have challenges with mechanical grip at that point. Drive with the same caution you would with any ICE car.

“…That is the time for fear, my little lord, when the White Walkers move through the woods…”

- Anyone have thoughts on how to handle ice and snow banks when the car has such low clearance?

Now that you mention it, probably put it in standard regen until know how car behaves. I have used the defrost and side mirrors change color so I think they are heated. Ice will be the test of how well. Yes its slow and I've noticed the rear window gets blurry when its on. Kind of a warped effect. Goes away when you turn it off. Has Lucid announced a winter tire set? Its getting close to crunch time. I historically change them the day and/or weekend after Thanksgiving.

Winter here has been getting more mild each year. We only have snow on the ground 2-7 days now as air temp floats around freezing. I needed 14 days below freezing to move fruit trees to our new house and only got 9!

What is this thing you call winter?? I miss the snow but I don't miss driving in it.

I'm not sure what part of Mass you are in, but I should think the strong regen might help navigating hills in winter. I can feel my old Jeep slipping down route 9 just thinking about it.

Yeah I agree the rear defrost seems inadequate, but it hasn’t got to freezing temps yet so it is hard to tell. I’ve never had a car with a heated steering wheel though so that will be fun to try out. Holy crap those heated seats sure do work though! As far as actual ice and snow banks, those front aero wings at the bottom seem pretty flexible so I’m hoping they can just bend a little with snow without incidence?

Were you thinking of getting those snow socks for the wheels? After last year’s total failure to plow in Rhode Island plus the billboard ads I see in Mass looking for plow drivers, I’m worried the Lucid is going to see a lot of unplowed roads, but that’s almost better than the ice median the plows will create.

Yeah I agree the rear defrost seems inadequate, but it hasn’t got to freezing temps yet so it is hard to tell. I’ve never had a car with a heated steering wheel though so that will be fun to try out. Holy crap those heated seats sure do work though! As far as actual ice and snow banks, those front aero wings at the bottom seem pretty flexible so I’m hoping they can just bend a little with snow without incidence?

Were you thinking of getting those snow socks for the wheels? After last year’s total failure to plow in Rhode Island plus the billboard ads I see in Mass looking for plow drivers, I’m worried the Lucid is going to see a lot of unplowed roads, but that’s almost better than the ice median the plows will create.
Maybe just jack up your car and unscrew them for winter, not like you are maximizing range during winter anyways

Glad to hear I’m not the only one feeling this way about the defrost. The heated steering wheel on the other hand is great. I’ve never heard of snow socks but will look into them. Would they violate the tire warranty?

Glad to hear I’m not the only one feeling this way about the defrost. The heated steering wheel on the other hand is great. I’ve never heard of snow socks but will look into them. Would they violate the tire warranty?
I think that's your only option as chains would violate the Lucid warranty

It is actually recommended in the owners manual. I had never heard of them either.

The heated steering wheel works very well. Helps keep those cold hands warm.

Yes, heated mirrors are activated when the rear defroster is turned on.

I think that's your only option as chains would violate the Lucid warranty
Just looked up the socks recommendation in the manual - says they’re only for use up to 25mph.

Just looked up the socks recommendation in the manual - says they’re only for use up to 25mph.
Yeah, that's pretty common practice with socks or chains. They aren't a substitute for appropriate tires for the conditions, they just add additional traction in extreme circumstances. No-one is driving at freeway speeds with chains or socks regardless of what vehicle they are driving.

I seem to have seen a type that is limited to 35 mph but I could have fallen asleep and was dreaming. LOL. However, even with my cables, I never liked driving more than 30 to 35 mph anyway as at higher speeds I could hear then rapping against something.

Back