Wife got an R1S. Software envy increased

Regarding dashcam, 90% of Tesla owners don’t use it. Would be nice to have, but most people don’t care.
 
I told him NO!
My Rivian R1S, at almost 60% the acquisition cost of my Lucid, has performed flawlessly. The Rivian has more functioning features than the Lucid (e.g., actually functioning highway assist, front/rear cameras, reliable door lock, etc. etc.). Some of the promised/implied features on the Lucid Air has yet to materialize; and likely never will.
My concern is, when you compare Gravity intro vs Lucid intro, the ethos have ne not improved, arguably worse! I think it is a culture problem.
I couldn't agree more. My wife has a Rivian and the software is hands down wayyy more reliable than my same age 2022 AT. At this point I've given up on sentry mode/dashcam ever coming which is ridiculous and V2H was one of the reasons I bought the AT. Like moderator Bobby always says buy the car that has the features you want not that you hope for- but 3 1/2 years after "coming soon" I feel justified in being very disappointed and I won't be buying another LUCID. Driving it sure is fun though!
 
My Tesla sentry mostly seems to record the butt cracks of people that get out of their cars next to it.
Pretty sure that’s the point

(Kidding, I know some people find it useful, go fight someone else)
 
FWIW, I used it on my Tesla and I care.
I know of 5 relatives who own a Tesla, they dont even know how to activate it or that its even there. Most people don't even care about a dashcam.
 
You
I know of 5 relatives who own a Tesla, they dont even know how to activate it or that its even there. Most people don't even care about a dashcam
You will appreciate the sentry mode cams once you had an accident or a break in on your car.
 
When really bored, I used to log into the car when parked by my wife, watch for passers-by and hit the ‘FART” button. It was truly very funny watching reactions! Cheap thrills!
 
Regarding dashcam, 90% of Tesla owners don’t use it. Would be nice to have, but most people don’t care.
You are nuts. My dashcam runs automatically on every drive, and if I honk the horn or there is a hard braking event (or accident) it automatically saves the last 10 minutes. The Sentry mode I use whenever I park anywhere and has been very useful to show to law enforcement when a dude was breaking in to the car next to mine at 4:00 in the morning.

Tesla drivers use both dashcam and sentry mode all the time. Your stats are just being pulled out of thin air for some very weird reason. I’d suggest maybe helping your relatives learn how to use it since it is a great feature.
 
I know of 5 relatives who own a Tesla, they dont even know how to activate it or that its even there. Most people don't even care about a dashcam.
It is very interesting that your five relatives are most of the people that won Tesla. Are there like 6 total?
 
The things Lucid absolutely excels at (range, efficiency, charging performance, driving dynamics) are the things only die-hards like us really obsess over. The broader market doesn’t shop that way.

They care about:
  • how intuitive the car feels
  • how polished the software is
  • whether features actually show up when promised

I think there's a whole spectrum of buyers. Some will be as you say, but others will appreciate the ride, handling, etc. and the software that drives those features is invisible, but makes itself known in various ways.

The user interface in Lucid's is beautiful. Watching the Eastern Edge race there were cars with larger and smaller screens, but none looked as good as the Gravity.

Also, there are a lot of folks for whom the existence of halo cars like the Air Sapphire and GDE help to sell the lower lines.
 
You are nuts. My dashcam runs automatically on every drive, and if I honk the horn or there is a hard braking event (or accident) it automatically saves the last 10 minutes. The Sentry mode I use whenever I park anywhere and has been very useful to show to law enforcement when a dude was breaking in to the car next to mine at 4:00 in the morning.

Tesla drivers use both dashcam and sentry mode all the time. Your stats are just being pulled out of thin air for some very weird reason. I’d suggest maybe helping your relatives learn how to use it since it is a great feature.
I think both are true. A dash cam is only useful to most people when something happens. And mostly something doesn't happen. In fact, I'd say something exciting happens a lot less than 90% of the time. More like 0.1% of the time. But then you're suddenly glad you've got it. It's by no means top of my wishlist, but Lucid should pull itself together and deliver this feature.
 
I don't see this as a Rivian bashing thing. Someone pointed out that they like their software better - others disagreed. I don't wish Rivian ill, but I find their product unattractive. I realize thats an opinon that not everyone shares. In an ideal world both brands would sell well. Heck I'm just trolling when I post about Tesla. They have done an amazing job of mass marketing EVs and the software and features are enviable. So when they bring a dog out like the CyberTruck, a little ribbing is schadenfreude. Just don't get me started on Elon...The truth is our EV market is highly protected at this time, and I hope the US manufacturers use the respite to continue to innovate so that they can be more competitive.
 
I think there's a whole spectrum of buyers. Some will be as you say, but others will appreciate the ride, handling, etc. and the software that drives those features is invisible, but makes itself known in various ways.

The user interface in Lucid's is beautiful. Watching the Eastern Edge race there were cars with larger and smaller screens, but none looked as good as the Gravity.

Also, there are a lot of folks for whom the existence of halo cars like the Air Sapphire and GDE help to sell the lower lines.
Listen, we don’t do rational explanations here.
 
I
I don't see this as a Rivian bashing thing. Someone pointed out that they like their software better - others disagreed. I don't wish Rivian ill, but I find their product unattractive. I realize thats an opinon that not everyone shares. In an ideal world both brands would sell well. Heck I'm just trolling when I post about Tesla. They have done an amazing job of mass marketing EVs and the software and features are enviable. So when they bring a dog out like the CyberTruck, a little ribbing is schadenfreude. Just don't get me started on Elon...The truth is our EV market is highly protected at this time, and I hope the US manufacturers use the respite to continue to innovate so that they can be more competitive.
I cant stand Starbucks, but my neighborhood coffee shop couldn’t sell 6 dollar mochas if Starbucks hadn’t done it first.
 
All true - but if you make a statement that it’s butt ugly and you pity Rivian owners, and yet it sells in much higher numbers than the one you think is better looking, then maybe you are the one who is wrong.

Or - maybe people consider the whole package, which obviously includes functionality, reliability and usability in addition to appearance. That, plus the cost, surely has to weigh on most people’s decisions, no? “We’d sell just as many if we were priced lower” is weak sauce because those are decisions that Lucid made that automatically limited their market.

R2 versus Earth/Cosmos will be very telling. Rivian is beating Lucid to the punch so let’s see how sales go when they are both available in the same segment. I’m pulling for both to knock it out of the park because I like more choices and I also like the competition that drives innovation. I do get tired of people banging on Tesla and Rivian just because they happen to own a Lucid - makes zero sense to me.
And I hate people who bang on Lucid…..sales numbers doesn’t always mean product is better. Ferrari sells much less than Maserati. So, who makes a better sports car? Your analogy doesn’t make any sense at all.

Buy the car you like, who cares what anyone else think. Want an off road capable EV SUV , buy a Rivian. Want the best handling EV SUV, get a Gravity. Why this nonsense about “ Rivian better than Lucid” …….they are both good in their own way.
 
Back
Top