Wife got an R1S. Software envy increased

SW is by far and away Lucid's biggest deficit. Lack of service center is the other big bogeyman lurking. I am still experiencing glitches after 3-1/2 years! My latest episode is, my Lucid has forgotten who I am. I have to enter my PIN and manually adjust my seating every time. Is it the end of the world? No,! But it is not a $150,000 car!

3-1/2 years ago, a couple of months after I purchased my AGT, I posted (or at least attempted to) comments on this forum about my concerns of Lucid's SW and symptoms of a lack-of methodical development and validation methodologies. My post was promptly taken down by a moderator, citing rule violation, "trying to act as a CEO". Now, 3-1/2 later, SW is still a mess!

HW/SW integration is a hard problem, especially in mission critical applications. The fundamentals need to be set at the development and validation stage. Lucid's post-intro "fly-swatting" approach is not going to cut it!
Software has been greatly improved, give me what you are smoking. And get the computer upgrade. Why cheapin out on that after spending 150k
 
The "rivalry" is one sided. The Rivian forum almost never talks about Lucid. If they do, some interest (or lackthereof) is expressed and things quickly move on. Like in this forum, they do spit on the ground Teslas walk (or drive) on. I wouldn't call Tesla vs Rivian a rivalry either as I doubt Tesla fans really care much about what Rivian is doing (well, maybe now with the R2 incoming).

I see more Rivian thrashing here. I get it, it's a Lucid forum, there is a bias for sure, but I don't get it either. They are two different companies trying to do different things. I appreciate what both are doing. Don't see why Rivian is seen as an enemy when I think it should be an ally. Would be cool to see both companies host an event or something. Show some comradery in the EV space.

IMO, Lucid still feels like the underdog that has to prove itself despite achieving some great things. Or put another way, Android vs. Apple back in the early days. Eventually I'm sure the day will come where Rivian and Tesla will have to up their game due to Lucid, but I don't think that is happening today. Everyone knows Tesla, Rivian is finally starting to get some recognition...Lucid is still mostly unknown to the average consumer.
It’s not as much as Rivian trashing as those trashing Lucid by comparing it to Rivian.

I wish people would stop coming here and going all Gaga on Rivian and stop trashing Lucid. Each vehicle has its merits.

‘ I drive a Rivian or my wife bought a Rivian and Lucid sucks compared to the Rivian” Give me a BREAK!
 
You

You will appreciate the sentry mode cams once you had an accident or a break in on your car.
Sorry, not giving my surround video to anyone. And my car NEVER got broken into in the 35 years that I have been driving, so don’t need it. And even if that happens, won’t regret not having sentry mode. I’m not that insecure.
 
Those complain that Rivian does a better job, open your eyes, stop trashing Lucid.

 
This morning, an impaired driver hit our parked minivan and tried to run over me and my wife to flee the scene.
Out of concern for safety for others on the road and for us, we had to call 911.
The person failed the sobriety test and is now in police custody.
Not that we'd need additional evidence, but a dashcam/sentry would have been nice, especially if we'd not been there to witness the accident.
 
This morning, an impaired driver hit our parked minivan and tried to run over me and my wife to flee the scene.
Out of concern for safety for others on the road and for us, we had to call 911.
The person failed the sobriety test and is now in police custody.
Not that we'd need additional evidence, but a dashcam/sentry would have been nice, especially if we'd not been there to witness the accident.
Are you referring to your Gravity being hit or an actual minivan? One less minivan on the road, no big deal. But if it was your Gravity, that is a big deal.
 
Are you referring to your Gravity being hit or an actual minivan? One less minivan on the road, no big deal. But if it was your Gravity, that is a big deal.
Fortunately, it’s the Honda minivan. Thank goodness.
 
I really wanted a somewhat complete package and hoped the GGT would be it. Six months ago, I told myself I'd reconsider when basic software functionality such as PaaK, Hands-free, and more functional ADAS on city streets was working. Now honestly I'm not sure it ever will. I'm done buying cars with "fixed in next release" - thanks Elon. And the Lucid sales/service process was designed by a company not interested in my business here in the midwest.

Actually at this point I'm wondering if mid-size will have that functionality out of the gate. Today it's vapor-ware and I'm still waiting. I am not optimistic mid-size won't be another software disaster. But we'll see - I'd love to be wrong. Fortunately I'm not in a big hurry.

In the meantime, BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo are making serious claims. Also vapor-ware today but someone will succeed, I hope. Maybe a company like them with a better history and a handle on what my vision of what my next EV will be could be is better for folks like me.

Lucid doesn't understand me. I fired my incompetent SA last November. Got a new one which was a major effort in itself. I came seriously close to buying a DE in December but got hung up on a small detail. Ever since, not a single call, text, or EMail asking if I was still interested in a vehicle, which I am. Just apathy. Even wrote a nice, personal email to 2 Lucid execs. Crickets. Good luck with that business model. It's hard to care about a company who treats customers so poorly.

To each their own though. Others have different priorities where the Lucid works well. Just can't see spending this kind of money on a vague work-in-process missing the most basic functionality in this class by a company not meeting my basic expectations (or better, simply set my expectations instead of letting me imagine my own). But I'm the eternal optimist. I keep expecting things to get better with Lucid - meeting their own timelines, addressing the abysmal sales/service, figure out corporate basics about how to communicate, or simply fix the software. But with current management, it seems unlikely.
 
I really wanted a somewhat complete package and hoped the GGT would be it. Six months ago, I told myself I'd reconsider when basic software functionality such as PaaK, Hands-free, and more functional ADAS on city streets was working. Now honestly I'm not sure it ever will. I'm done buying cars with "fixed in next release" - thanks Elon. And the Lucid sales/service process was designed by a company not interested in my business here in the midwest.

Actually at this point I'm wondering if mid-size will have that functionality out of the gate. Today it's vapor-ware and I'm still waiting. I am not optimistic mid-size won't be another software disaster. But we'll see - I'd love to be wrong. Fortunately I'm not in a big hurry.

In the meantime, BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo are making serious claims. Also vapor-ware today but someone will succeed, I hope. Maybe a company like them with a better history and a handle on what my vision of what my next EV will be could be is better for folks like me.

Lucid doesn't understand me. I fired my incompetent SA last November. Got a new one which was a major effort in itself. I came seriously close to buying a DE in December but got hung up on a small detail. Ever since, not a single call, text, or EMail asking if I was still interested in a vehicle, which I am. Just apathy. Even wrote a nice, personal email to 2 Lucid execs. Crickets. Good luck with that business model. It's hard to care about a company who treats customers so poorly.

To each their own though. Others have different priorities where the Lucid works well. Just can't see spending this kind of money on a vague work-in-process missing the most basic functionality in this class by a company not meeting my basic expectations (or better, simply set my expectations instead of letting me imagine my own). But I'm the eternal optimist. I keep expecting things to get better with Lucid - meeting their own timelines, addressing the abysmal sales/service, figure out corporate basics about how to communicate, or simply fix the software. But with current management, it seems unlikely.
FWIW Lucid added much more functionality to our Air over the years than Volvo did in the same period. Maybe the perceived difference in followthrough is due to Lucid over-promising, and Volvo not promising at all.
 
When do we think Lucid gets smartphone-level software stability? My guess is 2028.

Seems like this is an industry-wide issue.
 
When do we think Lucid gets smartphone-level software stability? My guess is 2028.

Seems like this is an industry-wide issue.
We've had our AAOS Volvo EV for four years, and it hasn't reached smartphone-level stability.

AAOS has only been in the field for about five years. Maybe in another five.
 
I really wanted a somewhat complete package and hoped the GGT would be it. Six months ago, I told myself I'd reconsider when basic software functionality such as PaaK, Hands-free, and more functional ADAS on city streets was working. Now honestly I'm not sure it ever will. I'm done buying cars with "fixed in next release" - thanks Elon. And the Lucid sales/service process was designed by a company not interested in my business here in the midwest.

Actually at this point I'm wondering if mid-size will have that functionality out of the gate. Today it's vapor-ware and I'm still waiting. I am not optimistic mid-size won't be another software disaster. But we'll see - I'd love to be wrong. Fortunately I'm not in a big hurry.

In the meantime, BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo are making serious claims. Also vapor-ware today but someone will succeed, I hope. Maybe a company like them with a better history and a handle on what my vision of what my next EV will be could be is better for folks like me.

Lucid doesn't understand me. I fired my incompetent SA last November. Got a new one which was a major effort in itself. I came seriously close to buying a DE in December but got hung up on a small detail. Ever since, not a single call, text, or EMail asking if I was still interested in a vehicle, which I am. Just apathy. Even wrote a nice, personal email to 2 Lucid execs. Crickets. Good luck with that business model. It's hard to care about a company who treats customers so poorly.

To each their own though. Others have different priorities where the Lucid works well. Just can't see spending this kind of money on a vague work-in-process missing the most basic functionality in this class by a company not meeting my basic expectations (or better, simply set my expectations instead of letting me imagine my own). But I'm the eternal optimist. I keep expecting things to get better with Lucid - meeting their own timelines, addressing the abysmal sales/service, figure out corporate basics about how to communicate, or simply fix the software. But with current management, it seems unlikely.
I'm in a somewhat similar boat: I refused to take delivery of my GGT order in early December due to the wide spread quality issues. In my case, my SA did reach out in the final weeks of March (during their EOQ sales push) to see if he could interest me in any of their inventory vehicles. I'm still not ready to purchase, as we're a single car household, I live moderately from the closest service center, and some quality improvements are still needed. At the same time, it's clear to me that Lucid has been making quite a bit of progress since December. Not just in terms of OTA updates, but also in a number of small hardware tweaks. So while I'm frustrated that they didn't launch the Gravity in a better state last year, I'm continuing to watch it and hope to buy a 2027 Gravity this summer.
 
FWIW Lucid added much more functionality to our Air over the years than Volvo did in the same period. Maybe the perceived difference in followthrough is due to Lucid over-promising, and Volvo not promising at all.
What was the Volvo missing out the gate when you purchased it though? Things like Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Drive Assist, etc. should've been available day one when purchasing the Air given all its competitors had that at the time of purchase. I would argue that a number of the Lucid updates were to play catch up with the competition.
 
What was the Volvo missing out the gate when you purchased it though? Things like Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Drive Assist, etc. should've been available day one when purchasing the Air given all its competitors had that at the time of purchase. I would argue that a number of the Lucid updates were to play catch up with the competition.
It didn't have CarPlay or Android Auto, and those are the extent of the improvements Volvo made over four years - plus a recent software update that finally made the backup camera reliable.
Lane centering/TACC and safety ADAS were present form the start, having been borrowed from previous-gen cars, and have always been solid.
 
When do we think Lucid gets smartphone-level software stability? My guess is 2028.

Seems like this is an industry-wide issue.
Not industry wide. Some EVs have super stable software.
 
Being part of a newer EV company with heavy emphasis on screen interfaces, the most time in validation is spent on making sure you didn’t break other things and create bugs than actual testing of the new feature. More often than not we find bugs seeming unrelated to the new features versus the new features themselves.
 
Being part of a newer EV company with heavy emphasis on screen interfaces, the most time in validation is spent on making sure you didn’t break other things and create bugs than actual testing of the new feature. More often than not we find bugs seeming unrelated to the new features versus the new features themselves.
SW/HW integration and validation is a "never-ending-task". In many respect, it is brute force. That said, having experienced similar challenges in a different industry, in a complex HW/SW system like an EV, I am not sure there is a viable alternative. Lucid's history says it lacks the discipline in SW development/validation. It is an area they must invest in. In my opinion, it is their #1 obstacle to scaling their business.

I hope other owners who are much more verse in the subject than I can offer more insights.
 
A large part is refactoring of code to do more (more features) with your existing hardware. Many of these have a habit of not revealing themselves until reaching a significant amount of soak time (finding that a rolling counter overflows after 60+ days and soft bricks a vehicle).
 
Back
Top