Why is there a need to press accelerator or toggle HA/ACC knob when stopped?

If you watch the video, it says "Hands-off," eyes-off Highway PIlot.

If the OP in this thread keeps using his hands to get the smart cruise to roll the car again after a complete stop, that's not "hands-off". That is hands-on in this thread which is contrary to what the video says.

pQP02vC.jpg
That is talking about Highway Pilot, not Highway Assist. There is no timeframe for HP release.

Also, Lucid want founded in 2006. Atieva was. They didn't rename and refocus on cars until 2016. They were purely a battery tech company before that.

If you're going to try to preach, at least have the facts straight...

That is talking about Highway Pilot, not Highway Assist. There is no timeframe for HP release.
Indeed. Hands-off is HP.

That means stop-and-go will work in HP just as the video said "hands off".

This should go away when they release Traffic Jam Assist in an OTA.
The manual says:

"Traffic Jam Assist

WARNING: When Traffic Jam Assist is following a leading vehicle and no lanes are detected, your vehicle may follow the lead vehicle into another lane. It is your responsibility to stay aware of your surroundings and be prepared to take corrective action at all times.

When the system cannot detect the lane lines or lane markings and there is a vehicle ahead, Highway Assist will follow the leading vehicle.

Note: Traffic Jam Assist is only available when the vehicle’s speed is under 43 mph (70 km/h). When lanes are detected, the system prioritizes using the lanes over following a leading vehicle."

I am not sure it describes a stop-and-go scenario. It's more like if there's no lane markings but there's a leading car then it would follow the leading car if the speed is under 43 MPH.

I am sure if the leading car slows down to a stop, Traffic Jam would brake to a stop too. But what if the leading car now starts to take off? Common sense in the name "Traffic Jam" would mean it can do stop-and-go but I am not sure the manual says that.

The manual says:

"Traffic Jam Assist

WARNING: When Traffic Jam Assist is following a leading vehicle and no lanes are detected, your vehicle may follow the lead vehicle into another lane. It is your responsibility to stay aware of your surroundings and be prepared to take corrective action at all times.

When the system cannot detect the lane lines or lane markings and there is a vehicle ahead, Highway Assist will follow the leading vehicle.

Note: Traffic Jam Assist is only available when the vehicle’s speed is under 43 mph (70 km/h). When lanes are detected, the system prioritizes using the lanes over following a leading vehicle."

I am not sure it describes a stop-and-go scenario. It's more like if there's no lane markings but there's a leading car then it would follow the leading car if the speed is under 43 MPH.

I am sure if the leading car slows down to a stop, Traffic Jam would brake to a stop too. But what if the leading car now starts to take off? Common sense in the name "Traffic Jam" would mean it can do stop-and-go but I am not sure the manual says that.
Traffic jam assist has not been released yet.

I used to have a dumb cruise until I bought the early 2017 Tesla and its cruise could do stop-and-go traffic without my intervention. People didn't believe me at that time, so I recorded it in action;

Before I bought the 2017 Tesla, I remembered the first version of Autopilot Hardware AP1 with 1 radar and 1 camera came out in 2014 already did the stop-and-go:

I remember this. Our first Tesla purchase was a Model S75D, all the way back in March 2017. It had “Enhanced Autopilot” installed. Back then EA was still in its infancy, and its capabilities were limited. However, one thing it could do from the start, and do VERY WELL, was stop-n-go traffic. What a boon, southbound on the 405 by LAX at afternoon rush-hour on a weekday! All of a sudden, driving in stop-n-go traffic became a non-event. No stress, because no one’s “cutting you off”, no aggravation, no tedium. Further, rather than being lulled into inattention, I discovered that because I didn’t have to focus so intently on the road directly ahead of me, my vision and consequently my mind, could open up and pay greater attention to more things. It was revelatory.

I remember this. Our first Tesla purchase was a Model S75D, all the way back in March 2017. It had “Enhanced Autopilot” installed. Back then EA was still in its infancy, and its capabilities were limited. However, one thing it could do from the start, and do VERY WELL, was stop-n-go traffic. What a boon, southbound on the 405 by LAX at afternoon rush-hour on a weekday! All of a sudden, driving in stop-n-go traffic became a non-event. No stress, because no one’s “cutting you off”, no aggravation, no tedium. Further, rather than being lulled into inattention, I discovered that because I didn’t have to focus so intently on the road directly ahead of me, my vision and consequently my mind, could open up and pay greater attention to more things. It was revelatory.
Thanks for bringing back the memories. I used to have a dumb cruise and I was so impatient with the stop and go, and then stop and go traffic! I was just so angry and I could easily get into a road rage at some points.

All the hot temper suddenly disappeared when I got a Tesla in 2017 with a smart cruise that could automatically perform the stop and go driving for me. I felt so relaxed. I could enjoy music or talk on the phone or just look out the windows in a stop and go traffic jam!

Smart cruise with automatic go again really saved me from involving in a road rage.

It's not as convenient with Lucid smart cruise without automatic go but I tell myself that a future update will fix that eventually.

In my opinion, there should not be a need to do that at all. Air's software is already tracking the vehicle in front as part of traffic drive off alerts as well as to notify the driver about traffic moving and they should either press accelerator or toggle the knob to move the vehicle during activated HA/ACC. Not sure if this is needed as part of some regulation but is there really a need to do that? If you are already tracking the vehicle in front, when that moves start moving our vehicle too.

Dont mean to start any debate here but Tesla's software could do that in a 2018 vehicle :/

Why is there a need to press accelerator or toggle HA/ACC knob when stopped?​

One scenario is that you are at a stop light and the vehicle in front of you decides it's going to run the red, the Lucid follows because the car in front moves and then blammo the Lucid gets t-boned by a car or truck legally going through the intersection. Besides the serious injury and death we know where the lawyers are going.

Because I’m a better driver than any car is in traffic, I much prefer how I speed up and slow down to all other car’s ADAS. I’ve used Tesla which is OK at this, better than Mercedes, but it still slows down too aggressively making it less comfortable, not more comfortable. The funny thing with stop and go traffic is I don’t mind if someone cuts in front of me because I leave a safe distance between me and the car in front of me. The Tesla sure does, it will slow too hard, and when it’s time to get back up to speed you’ll lurch again. The Lucid for me gets back up to speed more gracefully and slows more gracefully also. However I still slow down smoother so after many attempts at using this ADAS feature I just drive the car myself. I do very very much wish Lucid would have listened to my request over a year ago to have an option to make cross traffic protection alert only, rather than always intervene. It’s such a useful feature but so violently slams on the brakes that it renders it unusable. I can’t back out of my own driveway because of it. A car in the street being kind enough will wait and allow me to back up out of my own driveway, but cross traffic alert in the Lucid will not without a few “I’m learning how to drive a car for the first time” brake slams. It’s infuriating. It’s the only car I know of with rear traffic alert that doesn’t give you a “warning only, no intervention” option.

Speaking of Tesla autopilot….
I blame the regulators for allowing the sale of non-existing products.

I bought a Tesla in 2012 with a dumb cruise but my goal then was the range. It was the longest EV range at that time.

I was not about to upgrade to a newer Tesla until I heard so much about Tesla Self-Driving. I resisted because I knew that the technology was not here. I then could not resist anymore because I rationalized that the government would not allow the sale of an unsafe product when it's described as summoning across the US, charging on its own along the way, and making money by providing rides on its own.

I didn't want to miss all that, so I bought another Tesla with Self-Driving in 2017.

Now after 6 years, I feel stupid because Dan O'Dowd repeatedly shows that Tesla fails his obstacle tests:

The government should have done those tests, and Dan O'Dowd shouldn't have to spend money to show us.

Now we know about the leak. The government should have done all the Self-Driving tests and understood all the results without the need for a whistleblower.

The government should prevent sellers from collecting money from consumers for Self Driving technology that keeps hitting obstacles, as Dan O'Dowd's tests demonstrated.

Because I’m a better driver than any car is in traffic, I much prefer how I speed up and slow down to all other car’s ADAS. I’ve used Tesla which is OK at this, better than Mercedes, but it still slows down too aggressively making it less comfortable, not more comfortable. The funny thing with stop and go traffic is I don’t mind if someone cuts in front of me because I leave a safe distance between me and the car in front of me. The Tesla sure does, it will slow too hard, and when it’s time to get back up to speed you’ll lurch again. The Lucid for me gets back up to speed more gracefully and slows more gracefully also. However I still slow down smoother so after many attempts at using this ADAS feature I just drive the car myself. I do very very much wish Lucid would have listened to my request over a year ago to have an option to make cross traffic protection alert only, rather than always intervene. It’s such a useful feature but so violently slams on the brakes that it renders it unusable. I can’t back out of my own driveway because of it. A car in the street being kind enough will wait and allow me to back up out of my own driveway, but cross traffic alert in the Lucid will not without a few “I’m learning how to drive a car for the first time” brake slams. It’s infuriating. It’s the only car I know of with rear traffic alert that doesn’t give you a “warning only, no intervention” option.
The Genesis electrified G80 loaner I am currently driving does something similar and it drives me nuts. If I pull out of my driveway on the west side of the street to back into the southbound side of the road, if there is a car going north on the other side of the road the ADAS system brings my back-out to a screeching stop. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened.

When I purchased my Tesla Model S in 2017, I was a fan of the concept of self/assisted driving, but pretty wary of actually using it. So it was not a major selling point for me (and I did not pay for FSD). However, within a few weeks of purchasing the car, and with much trepidation, I tried using the “Enhanced Autopilot”. One day, I found myself in stop-and-go-traffic and experienced the auto-stop/start function of Enhanced Autopilot. It was a game changer. In fact, after experiencing it, had they told me it would be $5K for that feature alone (at the time, I think $5k was the upcharge for FSD), I would have yelled “take my money!!!

Earlier this week, I was in stop-and-go traffic with my Lucid GT for the first time. I just assumed it would work like my Tesla. It worked flawlessly as far as stopping distance/timing in stop-and-go. But I was very bummed when I discovered I had to engage with the accelerator to get it to go each time after stopping (the car did kindly alert me that the car in front had started moving).

I really hope they add the “go” piece sooner than later. I’ll take that over any small or major “full-self-driving“ type features.

The stop, and subsequent alert-that-car-ahead-has-moved, is handy when sitting behind cars at a stoplight. But, I’m certainly not using Highway Assist on those types of roads. So presumably, the no-start-but-alert feature could remain when not using HA, but be implemented when using HA on an expressway.

When I purchased my Tesla Model S in 2017, I was a fan of the concept of self/assisted driving, but pretty wary of actually using it. So it was not a major selling point for me (and I did not pay for FSD). However, within a few weeks of purchasing the car, and with much trepidation, I tried using the “Enhanced Autopilot”. One day, I found myself in stop-and-go-traffic and experienced the auto-stop/start function of Enhanced Autopilot. It was a game changer. In fact, after experiencing it, had they told me it would be $5K for that feature alone (at the time, I think $5k was the upcharge for FSD), I would have yelled “take my money!!!

Earlier this week, I was in stop-and-go traffic with my Lucid GT for the first time. I just assumed it would work like my Tesla. It worked flawlessly as far as stopping distance/timing in stop-and-go. But I was very bummed when I discovered I had to engage with the accelerator to get it to go each time after stopping (the car did kindly alert me that the car in front had started moving).

I really hope they add the “go” piece sooner than later. I’ll take that over any small or major “full-self-driving“ type features.

The stop, and subsequent alert-that-car-ahead-has-moved, is handy when sitting behind cars at a stoplight. But, I’m certainly not using Highway Assist on those types of roads. So presumably, the no-start-but-alert feature could remain when not using HA, but be implemented when using HA on an expressway.
Theoretically, Traffic Jam Assist and Highway Pilot will add additional capabilities. Unfortunately, nobody has any idea of what the timeline is. Personally, I believe that those of us who spent the $10,000+ deserve some sort of road map.

You can also press up on the speed toggle; you don’t have to interact with the accelerator pedal.

Back