Whistling AC

Adnillien

Referral Code K9WIJHB0
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
My AC has started to make a loud whistling sound. I can make it go away by adjusting the fan speed for either the driver or the passenger. I remember @hmp10 had an issue with the fan rubbing. I think anyway. There one other person with a similar issue that I think was related to an air diversion. This seems more like what I am encountering. If anyone else has seen something similar I would like to know about. I will call customer service but it would be great to have an idea on what the problem might be from the experts on this forum.

My AC has started to make a loud whistling sound. I can make it go away by adjusting the fan speed for either the driver or the passenger. I remember @hmp10 had an issue with the fan rubbing. I think anyway. There one other person with a similar issue that I think was related to an air diversion. This seems more like what I am encountering. If anyone else has seen something similar I would like to know about. I will call customer service but it would be great to have an idea on what the problem might be from the experts on this forum.
Probably a good idea to video tape it.

I remember @hmp10 had an issue with the fan rubbing.

The noise we were hearing included a scraping/rattling sound sometimes accompanied by a loud whistling. The noise ceased upon adjusting the fan speed either up or down and remained gone even when returning to the original fan setting. Lucid Service never determined exactly what was causing the issue but suspected it emanated from the "blender" unit inside the dashboard. As I resisted having the dashboard disassembled, they instead replaced the blower unit which is located ahead of the firewall. They did find some suspicious corrosion on a bolt inside the unit but did not see signs of fan blade scraping anywhere. In any case, we have not heard the scraping/rattling since. We occasionally get a soft whistling sound from the center vents, but it ceases with a slight adjustment to the vent position.

I called customer service on Monday and was originally setup with mobile service this week. I got a call from one of the Scottsdale service managers today who wanted to know a few more details. After talking to him he told me that he wanted to bring my car into the shop rather than try mobile service. He offered my choice of Lucid picking up the car or me dropping it off with a Lyft home. I live about 7 miles from the service center so it makes no sense to have Lucid pick my car up but I was impressed that they offered. Service is scheduled for next week. So far I am pleased with the response over a fairly minor complaint.

I called customer service on Monday and was originally setup with mobile service this week. I got a call from one of the Scottsdale service managers today who wanted to know a few more details. After talking to him he told me that he wanted to bring my car into the shop rather than try mobile service. He offered my choice of Lucid picking up the car or me dropping it off with a Lyft home. I live about 7 miles from the service center so it makes no sense to have Lucid pick my car up but I was impressed that they offered. Service is scheduled for next week. So far I am pleased with the response over a fairly minor complaint.

I am a one car family. Did they also offer you a loaner?

I am a one car family. Did they also offer you a loaner?
They did not offer me a loaner nor did I ask for one. Others on this forum have been given loaners so I probably could have had one. They plan to keep the car for one day and I did not need a loaner.

They did not offer me a loaner nor did I ask for one. Others on this forum have been given loaners so I probably could have had one. They plan to keep the car for one day and I did not need a loaner.
Ask and ye shall receive! If you have to service, just ask them ahead of time and they will arrange it for you.

So more time in the car today - and it is a definite whistle … and only occasionally.
for me, today, it was also dependent on the speed of the car. Present at 50, not at 30, reappeared when I went back to 50.

I think I’ll need to do some more testing stationary

So more time in the car today - and it is a definite whistle … and only occasionally.
for me, today, it was also dependent on the speed of the car. Present at 50, not at 30, reappeared when I went back to 50.

I think I’ll need to do some more testing stationary
I will let you know what the service center says when I take it in on Tuesday. Were you alone in the car or with passengers when you had it? My whistle occurs when I am alone and the passenger AC is not on.

I will let you know what the service center says when I take it in on Tuesday. Were you alone in the car or with passengers when you had it? My whistle occurs when I am alone and the passenger AC is not on.
just me ... and my phone was in the frunk (don't ask) so no "video" to record how it sounds

I dropped the car off at the Scottsdale service center today and spent a while talking to the service manager and the assistant service manager that started yesterday. Great people. I did have a recording of that I shared with him. He is hoping that it is something simple but he cautioned that it may be an actuator that would require some significant work to get to. He said that he would text me an update in the morning.

Bonus - He is going to load 1.2.1 for me. I also picked his brain on hardware. He seemed willing to share what he knew.

I dropped the car off at the Scottsdale service center today and spent a while talking to the service manager and the assistant service manager that started yesterday. Great people. I did have a recording of that I shared with him. He is hoping that it is something simple but he cautioned that it may be an actuator that would require some significant work to get to. He said that he would text me an update in the morning.

Bonus - He is going to load 1.2.1 for me. I also picked his brain on hardware. He seemed willing to share what he knew.
THANKS. I need to be quicker to record it.
look forward to hearing their diagnosis

Two calls from my service advisor today. Communication during service is excellent. Software update 1.2.1 has been loaded on my car. They doing a software reset and calibration on the AC actuators. It was not clear to me if this was already included in 1.2.1 or a special update for my car. I will ask when I pick it up. The HQ engineering team provided a series of tests for the service center to run tomorrow to make sure the AC whistle is fixed. While it may take an extra day, it is great to see fairly minor issues get escalated to the engineering team for resolution.

I picked my car up Thursday evening. In addition to loading 1.2.1 they did a few AC resets to adjust the actuators. He also said that some of the 1.2.1 updates may have done that also. He is not 100% sure that the problem is fixed since he could not recreate it. The engineers did listen to my recording and provided guidance to the techs. If it happens again, he asked that I record it and take a picture of the AC settings and outside temperature.

They did a great job of washing and cleaning my car before giving it back to me. Yes, Alexa does make phone calls after 1.2.1.

I encountered the same thing on my test drive. Was surprised that the SA stated that it was normal (!!), while another one said that it was a preproduction car and the issue would not happen on the production car.

Back