hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Lucid has removed wheel and tire information from the "Specs" page on its website. I found this out when I called Lucid Sales to ask whether the staggered tire widths (245mm front / 265 mm rear) would also come with the 19" wheels on the Dream Edition, just in a different diameter and aspect ratio. I was told that Lucid is rethinking both wheel and tire offerings, and more information would come out ahead of final ordering configuration.

The Sales people had no further information, such as whether Pirelli would remain the tire supplier or whether the Dream Edition would offer a choice of different styles in the 21" wheel. (The release-candidate Dream Edition that Peter Rawlinson drove in the video Lucid recently released had 21" wheels of a different style than the wheel in the Dream Edition order configurator.)

Michelin has just introduced a line of tires engineered specifically for EVs, with subsets for specific cars. Rivian is using these model-specific EV tires on its R1T and R1S. Pirelli also has a line of tires specifically developed for EVs which I have assumed Lucid would be using, but I'd never seen it confirmed that those were to be the tires on the Lucid Air.

Michelin has just introduced a line of tires engineered specifically for EVs, with subsets for specific cars. Rivian is using these model-specific EV tires on its R1T and R1S. Pirelli also has a line of tires specifically developed for EVs which I have assumed Lucid would be using, but I'd never seen it confirmed that those were to be the tires on the Lucid Air.
Hopefully, they will use some new EV tire that will also improve the range. I know we discussed this before, but the Michelin EV tire is suppose to increase range by up to 10%. Here is a link for those that did not follow that discussion: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...e-for-electric-sports-vehicles-301236120.html

I just looked more carefully at the Specs page, and a good bit of information beyond tire and wheel specs has also been taken down. All the information on dimensions and volumes is gone.

I wonder what things are now up in the air and why. With Rawlinson having done a demo drive of a release-candidate car just a couple of weeks ago, this seems to be very late in the game to be changing anything significant about the car.

I wonder if the production delay is allowing Lucid to deal with things such as power-operated doors and rear toe room under the bottom of the front seats? Or is something more drastic going on?

With the EQS now promising to hit the U.S. market ahead of the Lucid Air, Lucid has lost its claim to be the first true luxury EV. It will now be compared to the EQS right out of the gate. While Lucid clearly seems still to hold the trump card on power and efficiency, EQS features such as choice of tame or outrageous screen displays, two tiers of HUDs, power-operated doors from the get-go, and very interesting techniques for minimizing NVH are going to give a lot of early Lucid buyers pause.

Yes, I agree with you. The EQS also has rear wheel steering. So for now, the advantages of the Lucid Air are: Large frunk and range. I also like the cleaner look and design of the Lucid interior. Here is a link to a Mashables review of the Lucid Air from 4 years ago. They talk about the great modular batteries that allow tons of leg room in the rear (for the executive seating option), but mention a 400 mile range:

The Specs page on the Lucid website is back up again -- with original content as near as I can tell. There are no changes to any dimensions or features, and the Dream Edition and GT tires remain staggered Pirelli 245/265 mm cross sections with a .35 aspect ratio.

I wonder why some of the entries disappeared for a few days and why Sales thought wheels and tires were going to change?

Pirelli has just announced a new tire that will premiere on the Lucid Air specifically to meet the demands that the battery weight and high torque of an EV can put on tires:

Pirelli has just announced a new tire that will premiere on the Lucid Air specifically to meet the demands that the battery weight and high torque of an EV can put on tires:

Do we know yet what the Lucid weighs? The e-Tron is close to 6,000lbs and to my knowledge is the heaviest of the BEVs.

Lucid has not yet entered the vehicle's weight onto the Specs page on its website. I read in a recent article that the car weighs "just over" 5,000 pounds, whatever that means. That is about what I would expect, given the 4,651 pounds of the outgoing dual-motor Tesla Model S with its 100-kWh battery pack.

I'm surprised at the Audi's weight. That in the range of the Rivian R1S with its four motors and 135-kWh battery pack.

The Audi’s weight is a significant contributing factor to its relatively unimpressive range. Of course I think it also plays a role in its ride quality and quietness.

The 5,000 estimate seems reasonable.

I had an interesting discussion with my delivery advisor on the 20" wheels. When the configurator shows Q2 availability, they really mean end of Q2 with deliveries in Q3. The hold up is not the wheels, it is the tires. They are working with a tire company for a special Lucid tire to go along with the 20" wheel. He would not say who that company was. Since he brought up the 21" Pirelli tire made for Lucid just after that, it is likely that Pirelli is working on the 20" tire.

My DA said the 21s will have the Pirelli LM1 tires, which are the same as used on the Dream 21s. He said they're a higher performance tire than what will be on the 20s, so greater road grip and handling in theory.

It's interesting to hear that the 20s won't be on cars until Q3 (if everything goes according to plan, of course). Makes me glad I switched to the 21s; I don't think I'd have enough patience to wait that long.

For Air Pure reservation holders, it brings up the availability question for the range maximizing 19s that are standard. I’m thinking that car is at least a year away.

My DA said the 21s will have the Pirelli LM1 tires, which are the same as used on the Dream 21s. He said they're a higher performance tire than what will be on the 20s, so greater road grip and handling in theory.

I think the 20" wheels on display during Preview Week are the best-looking of the Lucid wheel offerings. What I'm interested to find out is whether they will use staggered tire sizes like the 21" wheels, or non-staggered tire sizes like the 19" wheels. I'd switch to the 20" wheels on my Dream once they become available with the LM1 tires IF they preserved the 265 rear tread width.

Tires for the Dream Air with 21" wheel sizes are:
245/35-R21
265/35-R21
Since it comes with Pirelli P Zero summer tires, I have purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires to replace on arrival in NJ where the temps are dropping.
These are not tested or "approved" by Lucid but was the only option other than purchasing a 2nd set of 19" all-season or winter wheels. Of note, Tire Rack now allows Lucid selection as a vehicle, and these tires come up in the search, but they do not allow you to purchase them because Lucid has not approved them. Therefore, you need to buy them as a size search instead of designated for Lucid. They will not have the foam present in the Pirellis to decrease road noise or the range of the specially designed EV tire, but hopefully it won't affect sound and range too much.
I will have to watch out for pot holes with the 21" wheels. We'll see how it goes.

Tires for the Dream Air with 21" wheel sizes are:
245/35-R21
265/35-R21
Since it comes with Pirelli P Zero summer tires, I have purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires to replace on arrival in NJ where the temps are dropping.
These are not tested or "approved" by Lucid but was the only option other than purchasing a 2nd set of 19" all-season or winter wheels. Of note, Tire Rack now allows Lucid selection as a vehicle, and these tires come up in the search, but they do not allow you to purchase them because Lucid has not approved them. Therefore, you need to buy them as a size search instead of designated for Lucid. They will not have the foam present in the Pirellis to decrease road noise or the range of the specially designed EV tire, but hopefully it won't affect sound and range too much.
I will have to watch out for pot holes with the 21" wheels. We'll see how it goes.

We are planning on taking delivery on the 19", we are driving the car back from California all the way to Indianapolis. These wheels will be swapped out for snow tires. Will be driving with those until we can get either the 20" or 21". There seems to be an issue getting the 20" by June. Can't decide but your reporting of driving on the 21" will be a guide.

I will have to watch out for pot holes with the 21" wheels.

Has anyone at Lucid given you any details about the various wheels? On their ordering configurator, only the Dream 21" wheels are listed as forged. I asked a sales rep at a Design Studio about this, and he said all the Lucid wheels would be forged. I doubt this, as I don't see why Lucid would only list one wheel as forged if they all are. I suspect the sales rep heard that the non-Dream wheels were done by forge casting, which is a marketing term sometimes used to refer to flow forming, which is a casting process that yields some of the strength of true forging.

I am interested in this, as I like the 21" GT wheels better than the Dream wheels, but the difference between forging and casting can make a difference in the wheel's ability to withstand road impacts.

I find that the Dream wheels with their sharp angles and zig-zagged design clash with the smooth, curved, rounded lines of the Lucid Air. I purposely declined to order the Dream Edition and opted for the Grand touring Edition instead based on my dislike for the Dream wheels and the limited choice of color selection. The only 2 colors I am interested in are the Gray and the Silver. Ironically, these are the only 2 colors of the 6 colors offered that are excluded when ordering a Dream Edition. I found it hard to order a $169,000 car with a color that I was not excited about.

I am interested in this, as I like the 21" GT wheels better than the Dream wheels, but the difference between forging and casting can make a difference in the wheel's ability to withstand road impacts.
WHat I've been told are that "Dreams are forged and the current 21 and 19 line up are cast flow formed."

What I've been told are that "Dreams are forged and the current 21 and 19 line up are cast flow formed."

Thanks. That's what I suspected. I'd like to find out the weight of the Lucid forged wheel to compare it to the 34.5 pounds of the New Aero forged 21" wheel, which I think is the best looking aero wheel I've seen:

They are a Swedish engineering firm that have their wheels manufactured in Italy, and they designed a line of aero wheels expressly for Tesla. They are currently trying to determine if the wheels will fit the Air.

Unlike the Lucid wheel, the New Aero wheel is directional so that the vanes/spokes slice into the air in the same direction on both sides of the car, thereby equalizing air flow on both sides. (Notice that the Lucid wheels face in the opposite direction on side relative to the other.)

Back