What's new

Wheels and Tires

hmp10

Expert Member
Founding Member
Lucid has removed wheel and tire information from the "Specs" page on its website. I found this out when I called Lucid Sales to ask whether the staggered tire widths (245mm front / 265 mm rear) would also come with the 19" wheels on the Dream Edition, just in a different diameter and aspect ratio. I was told that Lucid is rethinking both wheel and tire offerings, and more information would come out ahead of final ordering configuration.

The Sales people had no further information, such as whether Pirelli would remain the tire supplier or whether the Dream Edition would offer a choice of different styles in the 21" wheel. (The release-candidate Dream Edition that Peter Rawlinson drove in the video Lucid recently released had 21" wheels of a different style than the wheel in the Dream Edition order configurator.)

Michelin has just introduced a line of tires engineered specifically for EVs, with subsets for specific cars. Rivian is using these model-specific EV tires on its R1T and R1S. Pirelli also has a line of tires specifically developed for EVs which I have assumed Lucid would be using, but I'd never seen it confirmed that those were to be the tires on the Lucid Air.

Alex

Michelin has just introduced a line of tires engineered specifically for EVs, with subsets for specific cars. Rivian is using these model-specific EV tires on its R1T and R1S. Pirelli also has a line of tires specifically developed for EVs which I have assumed Lucid would be using, but I'd never seen it confirmed that those were to be the tires on the Lucid Air.
Hopefully, they will use some new EV tire that will also improve the range. I know we discussed this before, but the Michelin EV tire is suppose to increase range by up to 10%. Here is a link for those that did not follow that discussion: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...e-for-electric-sports-vehicles-301236120.html

hmp10

Expert Member
Founding Member
I just looked more carefully at the Specs page, and a good bit of information beyond tire and wheel specs has also been taken down. All the information on dimensions and volumes is gone.

I wonder what things are now up in the air and why. With Rawlinson having done a demo drive of a release-candidate car just a couple of weeks ago, this seems to be very late in the game to be changing anything significant about the car.

I wonder if the production delay is allowing Lucid to deal with things such as power-operated doors and rear toe room under the bottom of the front seats? Or is something more drastic going on?

With the EQS now promising to hit the U.S. market ahead of the Lucid Air, Lucid has lost its claim to be the first true luxury EV. It will now be compared to the EQS right out of the gate. While Lucid clearly seems still to hold the trump card on power and efficiency, EQS features such as choice of tame or outrageous screen displays, two tiers of HUDs, power-operated doors from the get-go, and very interesting techniques for minimizing NVH are going to give a lot of early Lucid buyers pause.

Alex

Yes, I agree with you. The EQS also has rear wheel steering. So for now, the advantages of the Lucid Air are: Large frunk and range. I also like the cleaner look and design of the Lucid interior. Here is a link to a Mashables review of the Lucid Air from 4 years ago. They talk about the great modular batteries that allow tons of leg room in the rear (for the executive seating option), but mention a 400 mile range:

hmp10

Expert Member
Founding Member
The Specs page on the Lucid website is back up again -- with original content as near as I can tell. There are no changes to any dimensions or features, and the Dream Edition and GT tires remain staggered Pirelli 245/265 mm cross sections with a .35 aspect ratio.

I wonder why some of the entries disappeared for a few days and why Sales thought wheels and tires were going to change?

hmp10

Expert Member
Founding Member
Pirelli has just announced a new tire that will premiere on the Lucid Air specifically to meet the demands that the battery weight and high torque of an EV can put on tires:

Alex

Lucken

Pirelli has just announced a new tire that will premiere on the Lucid Air specifically to meet the demands that the battery weight and high torque of an EV can put on tires:

Do we know yet what the Lucid weighs? The e-Tron is close to 6,000lbs and to my knowledge is the heaviest of the BEVs.

hmp10

Expert Member
Founding Member
Lucid has not yet entered the vehicle's weight onto the Specs page on its website. I read in a recent article that the car weighs "just over" 5,000 pounds, whatever that means. That is about what I would expect, given the 4,651 pounds of the outgoing dual-motor Tesla Model S with its 100-kWh battery pack.

I'm surprised at the Audi's weight. That in the range of the Rivian R1S with its four motors and 135-kWh battery pack.

Lucken

The Audi’s weight is a significant contributing factor to its relatively unimpressive range. Of course I think it also plays a role in its ride quality and quietness.

The 5,000 estimate seems reasonable.