Off-Topic What Original Tesla reviewers think of CyberTruck?

Wait until 2028 for the Lucid mid-size SUV =)
I’m not good at this “waiting” thing. That’s why I have an Air. I’ll probably switch to a Gravity for a while too because it’s one step closer. Who knows what’ll happen by 2028.

@Volund , please do not be offended, but I totally agree with @borski. I don't like SUVs or trucks because they drive like shit, always have, always will. Got stuff to carry, get an RS6. Pickups have a very useful purpose, yet 90 percent have never seen a 2x4. Ford would have gone bankrupt decades ago if it was not for the insane F150 profits.
Definitely not offended, was genuinely curious!
Also, and I really am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just don't have that "Have to make sure everyone on the road knows I'm a man" thing.

There's a testosterone factor with trucks that I'm just never going to relate to. SUVs, not as much. But it's still there.

SUVs became popular, I'm convinced, because men felt emasculated driving around in minivans.
I can definitely relate to this with the whole testosterone factor type thing, I see them everywhere.
For me, it’s pretty simple. I like being able to park wherever I want, smaller cars (on average) handle better, and I don’t like being many feet off the road.

In my ideal world, I would never carry anything other than, say, one other person. Give me a two seat roadster and I’m gonna be a very happy man.

My dream car is a Miata or Lotus Elise/Exige with a couple Lucid motors, haha.

My wife likes SUVs for almost the opposite reasons.
The Lucid SUV will also be almost the same form factor as the Air right? But being higher ride height is something that can't be fixed.

Do you guys not find the practicality of an suv to be attractive? Or the comfortability of ingress and egress? Granted I'm one of the youngest on the forums, but even I sometimes need some space to get in and out of the car, let alone other passengers.

Do you guys not find the practicality of an suv to be attractive? Or the comfortability of ingress and egress?
Nope and nope. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have no problem getting into and out of a car, no matter how low it is lol. And, once I’m in it, I am a happy camper. The “trouble” of getting in and out is a small price to pay.

Ask me again in 40 years and I may feel differently.

Nope and nope. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have no problem getting into and out of a car, no matter how low it is lol. And, once I’m in it, I am a happy camper. The “trouble” of getting in and out is a small price to pay.

Ask me again in 40 years and I may feel differently.
Eh, I'm pretty young, athletic, and about 5 9, but I still look like a clumsy idiot getting in and out of an Air(or even a honda accord!) I think this could be because my driveway is steeply raked, but not sure.

Let's make a poll on a video of seeing @borski getting in and out of his car!

I forgot who it was who posted the videos of people struggling to get out of low cars, especially older people. Was pretty funny

Also, and I really am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just don't have that "Have to make sure everyone on the road knows I'm a man" thing.

There's a testosterone factor with trucks that I'm just never going to relate to. SUVs, not as much. But it's still there.

SUVs became popular, I'm convinced, because men felt emasculated driving around in minivans.
And minivans became popular because men felt emasculated driving around in station wagons. Vans has a macho image, and a minivan was a van....until it was a soccer mom's car. Meanwhile, women had enough sense to drive what made sense. That included station wagons, and later minivans, and it had nothing to do with image. SUVs had the macho image and could be used off road, at the expense of having a truck suspension and uncomfortable ride. So the next step was to come out with what eventually became called a crossover, which is closer to what original station wagons were than what modern station wagons are. And I don't mean that in a pejorative way. They are useful vehicles for people with that need, and far more practical for people who don't go off road.

I suppose that if you want to appeal to men, you can come up with something that women don't like by making it awkward, uncomfortable, too big for what's needed, not very pretty or any number of things. I have nothing against people driving whatever they want regardless of gender, and I wouldn't avoid a car because of what people might think, or buy one because of what people might think, but if people care about image, that's no worse than dressing a certain way or doing anything else for that reason. If people like the look of the Cybertruck, let them enjoy it.

I feel like a good way to measure this is by giving a hypothetical question: If you had 1 million to spend on ONLY cars, what would you get?

The responses that people give to that often let me judge how their testosterone factor played a role in that.
I'd still get the Lucid. Since this is hypothetical and there are no other rules, I'd spend the rest on other cars that I could easily sell or give away, and use the rest of the money as I saw fit, which most likely would have meant keeping it invested.

If the rules were more restrictive, I might get the Sapphire, not because I need one but because I couldn't use the money for anything else. That's sort of why I got the Lucid in the first place. It's actually the first time in my life when I bought a car when I had no need for one and there was nothing wrong with the ones I have. That doesn't mean that there aren't cars that I might like better. But I was looking for an EV and it wasn't a tough choice. And I'm old enough that I either spend the money or leave it in my will. The Lucid was a car that I felt I'd like to have and my wife said that at this point in my life, I should just go for it.

I never gave much thought to how macho a Lucid is though, or what the neighbors might think. They aren't likely to know since I park in the garage. Strangers might form an opinion, but it's an opinion of some random guy in a car. There's nobody to impress.

I suppose that if you want to appeal to men, you can come up with something that women don't like by making it awkward, uncomfortable, too big for what's needed, not very pretty or any number of things.
So…. the cybertruck? :p

A long time ago, in a far away galaxy, it was cool to be cool. and not flashy. Now, its about being outrageous. After all, if you are not outrageous, you do not get "clicks." In my opinion, its immaterial what the truck looks like. I do not think those that buy it really care about the looks per se. MANY will buy it solely became its outrageous and everyone will look at them.

Years ago, I was a young attorney at a black tie event for a Fortune 500 client. The president of the company shocked me when he came over to say hello. I was as flippant as I am now, so I asked him why he came over. He said: I wanted to meet the only attorney in the room not wearing a HUGE Rolex.

A long time ago, in a far away galaxy, it was cool to be cool. and not flashy. Now, its about being outrageous. After all, if you are not outrageous, you do not get "clicks." In my opinion, its immaterial what the truck looks like. I do not think those that buy it really care about the looks per se. MANY will buy it solely became its outrageous and everyone will look at them.

Years ago, I was a young attorney at a black tie event for a Fortune 500 client. The president of the company shocked me when he came over to say hello. I was as flippant as I am now, so I asked him why he came over. He said: I wanted to meet the only attorney in the room not wearing a HUGE Rolex.
My wife had a Model 3, VIN 5xx. When she first got it, everyone wanted to see it. It didn't take long before nobody cared.

That’s because you are wearing a Patek Philippe.😉😉

I think my dream car might be borski’s dream car on the Gravity’s adjustable suspension. A true abomination. I like small cars, but I also go hiking. I don’t need all the extra space of an SUV 99% of the time, but I sure could use a higher clearance to get down some rocky roads. I love driving the Air, but it sticks an extra foot out of most parking spots and has comparatively no clearance.

The potential ground clearance of the Gravity is really what has caught my attention , especially with adjustable air suspension . If sufficient , I could easily see giving up my Outback . My only concern is will the damn car be too nice that I will flip out when I get it full of dirt, snow and mud.
The other concern is the remoteness of things out here. I really hope NEVI gets going fast so more charging stations are present .

Definitely not offended, was genuinely curious!

I can definitely relate to this with the whole testosterone factor type thing, I see them everywhere.

The Lucid SUV will also be almost the same form factor as the Air right? But being higher ride height is something that can't be fixed.

Do you guys not find the practicality of an suv to be attractive? Or the comfortability of ingress and egress? Granted I'm one of the youngest on the forums, but even I sometimes need some space to get in and out of the car, let alone other passengers.
The Air is pretty low, but it's not a Lamborghini. I don't have any trouble getting in and out at all. It's certainly easier than climing into your average roadster, like a Boxter.

Maybe I'll change my tune when I'm 90.

And for practicality, if I had kids, absolutely. I could see that. I watch how much crap my brother needs to lug around, and it's mind-boggling.

For the wife and I, we never come close to struggling to fit everything we need already in the Air. Even when we bring her mother along on a road trip.

If it's just me going on the trip, I don't even need the whole frunk.

The Air is pretty low, but it's not a Lamborghini. I don't have any trouble getting in and out at all. It's certainly easier than climing into your average roadster, like a Boxter.

Maybe I'll change my tune when I'm 90.

And for practicality, if I had kids, absolutely. I could see that. I watch how much crap my brother needs to lug around, and it's mind-boggling.

For the wife and I, we never come close to struggling to fit everything we need already in the Air. Even when we bring her mother along on a road trip.

If it's just me going on the trip, I don't even need the whole frunk.
Actually, I found the Air VERY hard to get into(at least the front seat).

In comparison, I've tried sitting in a BMW i8 in a dealership and I strangely found that easier to get into than the Lucid(the i8 is mocked for being difficult to get into). Maybe just a matter of me needing to get used to twisting myself into cars?

In comparison, I've tried sitting in a BMW i8 in a dealership and I strangely found that easier to get into than the Lucid(the i8 is mocked for being difficult to get into). Maybe just a matter of me needing to get used to twisting myself into cars?
How low was the seat?

For me, the real danger is hitting my head, since I'm 6'2". As long as the seat is in its lowest position, I can slide in fine and my head clears, no problem. My legs have no issue with the extra bend down to the lower seat.

If I get in on the passenger side, where my wife has the seat set as high as it will go, I hit my head every time.

How low was the seat?

For me, the real danger is hitting my head, since I'm 6'2". As long as the seat is in its lowest position, I can slide in fine and my head clears, no problem. My legs have no issue with the extra bend down to the lower seat.

If I get in on the passenger side, where my wife has the seat set as high as it will go, I hit my head every time.
The lowest as well(I prefer being able to see only a small part of the hood to place the car where I want it to go), but I take extreme caution to not bump my head. That could be a possible reason that it is so hard for me given that I take precautions, but I did the same thing for the i8.
Pretty much the same as me without the crawling on the ground 🤣

I'm 5'7" (and shrinking), and on my several showroom visits before the Air was in production I, too, found getting into and out of the car very difficult because of the low roof cantrails. An even shorter friend who has some mobility issues took delivery of his Dream Edition before we did and only put 800 miles on it in the first few months because he found entry and exit so difficult.

Fortunately, things changed. I developed the motor memory to avoid the cantrails, my friend lost some weight and now drives the car regularly, and Lucid introduced the "easy exit" feature which was a real boon.

But it is not the easiest sedan to get into and out of by a long stretch.

Back