Cybertruck Sales Numbers Deduced

Some of you know what I feel about Tesla these days. I hate to admit it, but the Cybertruck looks are kind of growing on me.

There. I've said it. Now I'm marching myself off to the woodshed for the whipping I so richly deserve.

While I'll never be a fan of the Cybertruck, I also recognize that I don't have to buy it. Others clearly like and are willing to buy it, whether for the novelty or they genuinely like it. To each their own...

I enjoy driving both GT and CT.

IMG_1517.webp

Some of you know what I feel about Tesla these days. I hate to admit it, but the Cybertruck looks are kind of growing on me.

There. I've said it. Now I'm marching myself off to the woodshed for the whipping I so richly deserve.
I have said this for a long time (basically since it launched), but I love how the Cybertruck looks. It looks better than ANY other EV truck on the market to me, and makes all them seem archaic. The Cybertruck has simple, clean lines, which make it look futuristic (somewhat like the Lucid, although the contrast in results is as massive you can get). I saw one in matte black the other day, and I thought it looked fantastic.

Now, how long will I be exiled from the forum for? 😉

I have been afraid that I will turn to stone when I view another one... For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would buy this thing...
My neighbor bought his because he frequently drives off road for photography and family camping trips, and his friends all drive Teslas, and it's his first EV. Unlike what one might guess, he's a smart, funny, interesting guy with a growing young family.

Last edited:
We saw two Cybertrucks today -- one with a black full body wrap and one with a dark blue full body wrap. There is also one a few streets over from us with a moss green body wrap and a black roof wrap. In fact, we've now seen more wrapped Cybertrucks than ones in stainless steel. To my eye, they actually look better in these wraps -- especially that cool two-tone green job.

This tracks with reports that a lot of owners are resorting to wraps (even clear ones) to skirt the issues of keeping the stainless steel clean.

The original plan was for the stainless steel panels to be structural. That was abandoned, and now they're just a cosmetic skin. It seems they might join the yoke as one of Musk's ill-fated design experiments.

We saw two Cybertrucks today -- one with a black full body wrap and one with a dark blue full body wrap. There is also one a few streets over from us with a moss green body wrap and a black roof wrap. In fact, we've now seen more wrapped Cybertrucks than ones in stainless steel. To my eye, they actually look better in these wraps -- especially that cool two-tone green job.

This tracks with reports that a lot of owners are resorting to wraps (even clear ones) to skirt the issues of keeping the stainless steel clean.

The original plan was for the stainless steel panels to be structural. That was abandoned, and now they're just a cosmetic skin. It seems they might join the yoke as one of Musk's ill-fated design experiments.
I met a neighbor who just got his Beast. He's very proud of it. But yes; within days he started considering a wrap.

The car was delivered to him with water stains already in the stainless steel. He has to take it in to have that fixed. And there are fingerprints all over his doors and other obvious touch points.

This would drive me insane.

I told him I actually think wrapped CyberTrucks look better, anyway. The only vehicle where I believe that, by the way. It's the one car I actually prefer in matte black.

I met a neighbor who just got his Beast. He's very proud of it. But yes; within days he started considering a wrap.

The car was delivered to him with water stains already in the stainless steel. He has to take it in to have that fixed. And there are fingerprints all over his doors and other obvious touch points.

This would drive me insane.

I told him I actually think wrapped CyberTrucks look better, anyway. The only vehicle where I believe that, by the way. It's the one car I actually prefer in matte black.
I actually think that matte black (and white) Cybertrucks are FAR better looking than the stainless steel one, mainly because of how dirty the stainless steel appears. If it stayed pristine, I would probably like it over black. Also, a large majority of the Cybertrucks I see have been wrapped.

Cybertrucks have the potential for some very unique two tone wraps, mainly due to their shoulder lines. An "interesting" example below...

1724434027187.webp

I'm not a CT hater. But let me share this story.
My landscaping contractor (also an architect) has a cyber truck he uses for his business. I was very curious about how it handled and what he likes about it. Essentially he uses it as a working vehicle. He hauls rocks, tools etc with it. Uses it as a solid working vehicle. Loves that there is a 110 plug in the rear so he can recharge tools out in the field. Loves how durable the exterior is, the sides and glass have held up in construction situations with no scratches or dents. Generally loves the truck.

I have to admit, after spending time with him about the truck particulars, I actually like it.

But here's a troubling part of owning that truck.
He says that weekly he gets 1 or 2 people that come at him aggressively and have threatened him over ownership of the truck. He's shocked, says it happens in traffic and when stopped at a light where people roll their windows down and yell and curse at him, or yell from the crosswalk. Has gotten threats in writing left on his windshield. I'm shocked. He operates in the Bay Area so a lot of Berkeley, Oakland, South and North Bay work. I can't actually say how many times this has happened, but that doesn't matter to me, the fact that it happens at all is fairly upsetting.

While I don't like the owner of the company's political views or how Tesla reportedly treat workers, certainly this kind of behavior is never acceptable.

And I do have to say I prob wouldn't get one for that fact alone.

Up here in North Tahoe, we have maybe 5 CT in the area, 2 Lucid's outside of mine, and maybe 20 Rivian's, and a gazillion BMW's, Audis, and Mercedes. In the Berkeley area, I've only seen one other Lucid, a few CT's, and maybe another 20 Rivian's

I'll snap a photo of the CT in front of my Berkeley house and post it here.

And btw, I too get people from the sidewalks or in traffic rolling down their windows to talk about the car. However the conversation is about how much they love it and want to know what I think about it.

My landscaping contractor (also an architect) has a cyber truck he uses for his business. I was very curious about how it handled and what he likes about it. Essentially he uses it as a working vehicle. He hauls rocks, tools etc with it. Uses it as a solid working vehicle. Loves that there is a 110 plug in the rear so he can recharge tools out in the field. Loves how durable the exterior is, the sides and glass have held up in construction situations with no scratches or dents. Generally loves the truck.

I have to admit, after spending time with him about the truck particulars, I actually like it.

He says that weekly he gets 1 or 2 people that come at him aggressively and have threatened him over ownership of the truck. He's shocked, says it happens in traffic and when stopped at a light where people roll their windows down and yell and curse at him, or yell from the crosswalk. Has gotten threats in writing left on his windshield. I'm shocked. He operates in the Bay Area so a lot of Berkeley, Oakland, South and North Bay work. I can't actually say how many times this has happened, but that doesn't matter to me, the fact that it happens at all is fairly upsetting.

While I don't like the owner of the company's political views or how Tesla reportedly treat workers, certainly this kind of behavior is never acceptable.

Up here in North Tahoe, we have maybe 5 CT in the area, 2 Lucid's outside of mine, and maybe 20 Rivian's, and a gazillion BMW's, Audis, and Mercedes. In the Berkeley area, I've only seen one other Lucid, a few CT's, and maybe another 20 Rivian's

And btw, I too get people from the sidewalks or in traffic rolling down their windows to talk about the car. However the conversation is about how much they love it and want to know what I think about it.
It’s not that the car is useless; it’s that any of the Silverado, F150, or R1T would be better for most tasks.

The note and yelling etc is all garbage, and people should stop being assholes.

Sadly, Elon has gotten himself into a pickle although he probably doesn't care tbh. He's become either the most loved man or hated man depending on how you take his antics and now he's delving more into conspiracies and politics he's putting Tesla owners is a very vulnerable situation. Its sad that people can't separate the man from the brand but you can see Tesla is being punished multiple ways as a result. riling people up does no one any favors and if you can't get access to the man riling you up what are you going to do? lash out to those who appear to be supporting him by buying the cars etc.

It's completely irrational and unjustified but this is the world we live in unfortunately. It's not just CT owners being targeted its Tesla owners in general and they're getting punished through no fault of their own. From people kicking cars, keying them, etc. CEO's do themselves or their customers no favors getting embroiled in politics.

I'll never buy a CT it's just too obnoxious for my liking but they definitely do look better wrapped than the standard steel color. I've seen a few matte black ones around and they seem to tone down its obtrusiveness.

That's terrible to hear. Though, here in the Bay, there are so many CyberTrucks I imagine people are going to exhaust themselves yelling about it pretty quick. So stupid. And so hypocritical.

Something something casting the first stone… I think it goes something like that.

I guarantee every one of us owns at least one product made by a company with an asshole CEO. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting an asshole CEO.

So what do you do? You can't buy nothing if you need a truck to work. You buy the truck you think does the job best, and screw the haters.

While I will never buy another product associated with Elon Musk, I harbor no enmity toward those who do.

My brother feels about Musk as I do, but he appreciates technology, lives in a large city, and wants to drive an EV. If Lucid had a Model 3 or Model Y competitor on the market now, he would buy it. In fact, he's going to try to put off his next car purchase until he sees Lucid's effort in that space. But if Lucid doesn't get there in his time frame, he sees Tesla as the best car for the money in the $45-50K price point -- with the Supercharger network playing no small part in that, as his condo only has one EV charging spot for a 4-tower complex, and he has to do some of his charging elsewhere.

I live in a semi-rural area without cable service and get my high-speed internet from a reseller called Streamline that takes a fiber optic feed and relays it to homes via microwave or LTE signals depending on where the home is. However, the connection costs almost $300 a month, with Dish satellite TV almost another $300 a month even before streaming fees. Not everyone out here can afford that. The two remaining legacy satellite internet services, Hughesnet and Viasat, offer neither the speed nor the data levels to support streaming services. About the only option left to many in our area is Musk's Starlink service.

I might wish these people made other choices, but it's their business, and I keep my thoughts about it to myself (except on this forum, of course :rolleyes:).

Back