Off-Topic What Original Tesla reviewers think of CyberTruck?

@Volund , please do not be offended, but I totally agree with @borski. I don't like SUVs or trucks because they drive like shit, always have, always will. Got stuff to carry, get an RS6. Pickups have a very useful purpose, yet 90 percent have never seen a 2x4. Ford would have gone bankrupt decades ago if it was not for the insane F150 profits.
True story: My brother used to pack his entire acoustic drum kit into the back of a Honda Civic for gigs. And he still had room for one other passenger.

Trucks are cheaper to produce, yet they charge more for them. That definitely rubs me the wrong way. But supply and demand, I guess.

Also, and I really am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just don't have that "Have to make sure everyone on the road knows I'm a man" thing.

There's a testosterone factor with trucks that I'm just never going to relate to. SUVs, not as much. But it's still there.

SUVs became popular, I'm convinced, because men felt emasculated driving around in minivans.

I have a friend who wants a truck and has absolutely no need for one. My wife is convinced it’s entirely a macho thing. The whole thing eludes me too.

Also, and I really am not trying to offend anyone here, but I just don't have that "Have to make sure everyone on the road knows I'm a man" thing.

There's a testosterone factor with trucks that I'm just never going to relate to. SUVs, not as much. But it's still there.

SUVs became popular, I'm convinced, because men felt emasculated driving around in minivans.
I feel like a good way to measure this is by giving a hypothetical question: If you had 1 million to spend on ONLY cars, what would you get?

The responses that people give to that often let me judge how their testosterone factor played a role in that.

Maybe, or because many of them were so large they could not fit into a low sedan. Actually, it may be more about image. If you have a SUV, maybe people will think you do sport or utility. Shopping at Costco is neither. But As Billy Crystal said:. Better to look good than feel good.

That said, I had a 1978 FJ40. That was a SUV on steroids. Drive 100 miles in it and you felt like you went 5 rounds in the ring. Bought it too learn to 4-wheel. And pull stumps...

Also, it could be FOMO. If everyone has one, I have to get one too or my friends will think I am out of step. In biz school, we called it the Xerox theory of purchasing: if you buy the same thing as everyone else, no one can fault you, even if the purchase is incorrect.

Also, it could be FOMO. If everyone has one, I have to get one too or my friends will think I am out of step. In biz school, we called it the Xerox theory of purchasing: if you buy the same thing as everyone else, no one can fault you, even if the purchase is incorrect.
AKA, being a sheep.

But yes. So much of capitalism is driven by people "keeping up with the Joneses" as they say.

Which brings us back to our CyberTruck topic. Will this monstrosity become something people buy because everyone else is doing it?

I still have my doubts. But I've seen society turn from "Wow that thing is ridiculous" to everyone buying one a year later way too many times to count it out.

I'd still be surprised if it sells nearly as well as Tesla wants us to think, though.

Trucks are cheaper to produce, yet they charge more for them. That definitely rubs me the wrong way. But supply and demand, I guess.
A friend was a Ford engineer. They are cheap because of the safety features they can legally levee out. Said he would never let his wife out kids in a Ford truck.

I also don’t buy trucks. Hell, I don’t even like SUVs. But if I were to buy a truck, it’d be a Rivian or an F150.

I have to confess a soft spot for pickups. I learned to drive when I was 11 years old (this was in semi-rural Georgia) on my dad's 1954 International Harvester pickup with a 90hp flat six and 3-on-the-column. When he finally retired it (it was a rust bucket by this time) for a 1965 Chevy pickup, I begged him to give it to me so that I could drive it to school every day, as I have always had a taste for edgy vehicles (although never quite sure on the edge of what). As the steering had gotten so loose that it took a half turn of the wheel to do a lane change at speed (such as it was in a 90hp three-quarter-ton truck), he didn't dare.

Years later, I bought a Mazda B2000 pickup on a whim and ended up driving it far more often than I expected.

Despite my initial revulsion at the original Cybertruck reveal, I must admit the sheer outrageousness of the design has grown on me. In fact, if I weren't so put off by eight years of owning two Teslas and by all things Musk these days, I would be sorely tempted to order one.

AKA, being a sheep.

But yes. So much of capitalism is driven by people "keeping up with the Joneses" as they say.

Which brings us back to our CyberTruck topic. Will this monstrosity become something people buy because everyone else is doing it?

I still have my doubts. But I've seen society turn from "Wow that thing is ridiculous" to everyone buying one a year later way too many times to count it out.

I'd still be surprised if it sells nearly as well as Tesla wants us to think, though.
The question is: is it shockingly modern and advanced, or just shockingly designed. From the Model S to the iphone to low profile tires, to switching power supplies, all were Pooh poohed are first because they were so different. But they were also insanely advanced technology. IMHO, the Tesla truck is neither. Eye candy.

They're only dying in the U.S. The Europeans still love their "combis". One of the cooler cars I've owned was a black-on-black 2003 Audi S6 wagon.
Right on. And spot on. Just sold my wife's 2011 A6 avant, with sport suspension and 3.0 supercharged engine. Sad.... One of the last 110 brought in by Audi USA when it killed big estates to support selling big whale SUVs. My fav was my early 2000s allroad, A6 twin turbo.

The question is: is it shockingly modern and advanced, or just shockingly designed.

I think the shock is more in the design than in its "advanced" technology. Two years after Lucid brought a 924-volt architecture to market, Tesla has finally moved up to 800 volts with the Cybertruck. With the Sapphire, Lucid brought rear motor torque vectoring to market while the tri-motor Plaid still doesn't have it. The Cybertruck will have it but, again, only after Lucid led the way.

The only technology I have seen reported in the Cybertruck that beats anyone else to market is the 4680 form factor batteries -- something that is nearing production from all the major battery manufacturers.

Not even a lifted monster truck could make me macho, so I am shit out of luck.

I'm curious, why don't you like SUV's or trucks? Seems every household has at least 1 nowadays.
For me, it’s pretty simple. I like being able to park wherever I want, smaller cars (on average) handle better, and I don’t like being many feet off the road.

In my ideal world, I would never carry anything other than, say, one other person. Give me a two seat roadster and I’m gonna be a very happy man.

My dream car is a Miata or Lotus Elise/Exige with a couple Lucid motors, haha.

My wife likes SUVs for almost the opposite reasons.

Tesla roadster! Or there are some companies you can commission to do that exact thing.
Yeah the original roadster was pretty great, minus the fact that it handled like a potato because it had great motors and body design (<3 lotus) but piss-poor handling thanks to the weight.

The new roadster I don’t believe will exist, and am certainly not willing to give an interest-free $50k (or $250k!) loan to Elon.

I think my dream car might be borski’s dream car on the Gravity’s adjustable suspension. A true abomination. I like small cars, but I also go hiking. I don’t need all the extra space of an SUV 99% of the time, but I sure could use a higher clearance to get down some rocky roads. I love driving the Air, but it sticks an extra foot out of most parking spots and has comparatively no clearance.

I think my dream car might be borski’s dream car on the Gravity’s adjustable suspension. A true abomination. I like small cars, but I also go hiking. I don’t need all the extra space of an SUV 99% of the time, but I sure could use a higher clearance to get down some rocky roads. I love driving the Air, but it sticks an extra foot out of most parking spots and has comparatively no clearance.
Wait until 2028 for the Lucid mid-size SUV =)

Back