What does this even mean??

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
New Touring and never charged at a public charger. How do I interpret this? Are there four chargers or 16? What is ChaDeMo and should I use it? If all stalls are open, should I use the 350kW? Thanks.

[Electrify America]
Operated by
electrifyamerica.ico
Electrify America
CCS, 4 stalls, 350kW
CCS, 5 stalls, 150kW
CCS, 6 stalls, 50kW
ChaDeMo, 1 stall, 50kW
Montara Road 301, Barstow
34.88414, -116.99356

New Touring and never charged at a public charger. How do I interpret this? Are there four chargers or 16? What is ChaDeMo and should I use it? If all stalls are open, should I use the 350kW? Thanks.

[Electrify America]
Operated by
electrifyamerica.ico
Electrify America
CCS, 4 stalls, 350kW
CCS, 5 stalls, 150kW
CCS, 6 stalls, 50kW
ChaDeMo, 1 stall, 50kW
34.88414, -116.99356
16 stalls for 16 cars at the same time.

Some EvGo stations offer 3 kinds of fast charge connections:
1) ChaDeMo
2) CCS
3) Tesla

Electrify offers only 2 maximum:

1) ChaDeMo connection doesn't fit your car so don't use it.

2) CCS fits your car so use it.

Your car can work with the faster speed of 350 kW and slower. So choose the fastest kW you can find. 50 kW works fine but much slower if you have time to wait.

Good luck.

Last edited:

[Electrify America]
Operated by
electrifyamerica.ico
Electrify America
CCS, 4 stalls, 350kW
CCS, 5 stalls, 150kW
CCS, 6 stalls, 50kW
ChaDeMo, 1 stall, 50kW
34.88414, -116.99356
Can be confusing. EA stations/stalls usually have two connectors per charging station and the App will report this as two when in reality you can only use one connector per station at the same time. So it is possible they are reporting based on number of connectors in which case it is half. Also, there isn't much advantage to using the 350Kw vs 150Kw if you are doing a full charge say from 20% to 80% because the 350Kw will slow down quite a bit once it reaches 50% SOC. If on the other hand you are just looking to add a quick 100 miles then it is worth using the 350Kw charger. The 350Kw does put more long term strain on the battery however.

Can be confusing. EA stations/stalls usually have two connectors per charging station and the App will report this as two when in reality you can only use one connector per station at the same time. So it is possible they are reporting based on number of connectors in which case it is half. Also, there isn't much advantage to using the 350Kw vs 150Kw if you are doing a full charge say from 20% to 80% because the 350Kw will slow down quite a bit once it reaches 50% SOC. If on the other hand you are just looking to add a quick 100 miles then it is worth using the 350Kw charger. The 350Kw does put more long term strain on the battery however.
Thanks, SL. So in this case, there are either eight or sixteen chargers, and I wont know until I get there? Is EVgo the same? I see another common vendor-Chargepoint. Is Chargepoint viable? So confusing....and I have watched the YouTube videos :)! Again, thanks for the help.

16 stalls for 16 cars at the same time.

Some EvGo stations offer 3 kinds of fast charge connections:
1) ChaDeMo
2) CCS
3) Tesla

Electrify offers only 2 maximum:

1) ChaDeMo connection doesn't fit your car so don't use it.

2) CCS fits your car so use it.

Your car can work with the faster speed of 350 kW and slower. So choose the fastest kW you can find. 50 kW works fine but much slower if you have time to wait.

Good luck.
Got it....No to Chad, yes to CCS. And look for the faster kW. Very helpful.

Actually, sometmes 150 can be faster than 350. 150 is really a 175 and 350s are really inconsistent.
LOL....Thanks. I guess I'll just have to live it after I drive this thing a bit more. If you were halfway to somewhere, and wanted a little bump (not a full charge) to get you to the end of the trip, would you plug in to a 350 or a 150?

LOL....Thanks. I guess I'll just have to live it after I drive this thing a bit more. If you were halfway to somewhere, and wanted a little bump (not a full charge) to get you to the end of the trip, would you plug in to a 350 or a 150?
If the 350 works and you want like a 50-80, then the 350. The problem is, the 350 usually doesnt work. And if another car plugs into it, it is capped at 150 anyways.(i know it has dynamic scaling but still)

350kW won’t provide any added benefit at a 50% SoC. The charging curve levels out and is the same as a 150 kW at that level. The benefit of a 350 comes when you are sub 20% SoC and pre-conditioned (assuming the 350 actually delivers). See attached (I know this is a DE, so it will differ from a touring; but a DE can use the full 350, touring cannot)
Also, it’s only the brand new units that have power sharing, not all.

Attachments

• BB59FAF0-C8EA-4792-A556-FC76C4FD27B0.png
    BB59FAF0-C8EA-4792-A556-FC76C4FD27B0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

[Electrify America]
Operated by
electrifyamerica.ico
Electrify America
CCS, 4 stalls, 350kW
CCS, 5 stalls, 150kW
CCS, 6 stalls, 50kW
ChaDeMo, 1 stall, 50kW
34.88414, -116.99356
One other thing about Barstow that your post didn't ask: is it open? The answer is no, the Barstow station is currently completely down. Best to check the phone app AND ALSO call EA if you are counting on their chargers being open and working. EA's website does not have current charger status - just the phone app, if you are lucky.

EA Barstow.png

Hesperia CA is also 100% out at this time. EA's phone app says that the Baker site is up, but if not, you may not make it from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. So best to call EA and ask directly rather than trusting the phone app.

Thanks, SL. So in this case, there are either eight or sixteen chargers, and I wont know until I get there? Is EVgo the same? I see another common vendor-Chargepoint. Is Chargepoint viable? So confusing....and I have watched the YouTube videos :)! Again, thanks for the help.
It is telling you the number of plugs, so only 8 stations. The ChadeMo is one. It is a plug and is always paired with a CCS So one can use either the ChadeMo plug or ccs at that one. The EA app confirms Barstow. CA site is 8 stations. Of course, they are all currently unavailable. Likely EA is replacing them with newer stations.

Your Touring doesn't have the same capabilities for 350Kw charging as the GT or DE, with the smaller battery pack and lower voltage; your max rate, obtainable only when your SoC is quite low, is closer to 200. The charge rate the car asks for lowers as the SoC goes up, so for the Touring, there is a relatively short period where the called for rate is over 150, just a few minutes. I don't have the charge rates chart in front of me at the moment but you can scan a bit and find it (or someone else will pull it up and post it again here). So for most charging sessions you'll have (applies to Touring and Pure), the 350 rate isn't needed. DE and GT can use 350 for a longer period of charging time when their SoC is low.
If I find the charts I'll post a link here.

Great input, all and many thanks. I'll check status on EA Barstow before I roll. Am I right that it might be best to just plan for EVgo? This may all be a back up plan. I am actually leaving from Anaheim Hills, which is 257 miles. If I top off before I go, I may be okay to go straight through.

Back