Wet traction on 20s?

Magellanic

Verified Owner
Cars
LR3, LR4, Touring
Has anyone driven in wet conditions (rain not snow) on the 20 inch wheels size, with Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires? Im in Norcal so rain is only for a month or so but when it rains, its an atmospheric river...

I had the 21" version of the Michelin's All-Season slapped on today. The weather was below freezing with snow flurries coating the edges of the road and melted on the heavily traveled roads. There was some slippage when I got too heavy footed, but the car corrected itself before I could even react.

The traction control on the car is superb. Handling is fantastic as well. There was a solid layer of snow/ice at the entrance to the neighborhood. I came in too hot at around 25. Mid-way through the turn the weight and snow hit max traction with a back end drift, yet I never felt like it was out of control as again... The car and tires corrected with a slide of no more than a few inches to half a foot.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks - most helpful. I wonder if the same tires will be on the 20s?

Think so. There are not many options out there for the weight of the vehicle and size of tires. Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Full Ring Velour XL was the exact name of the tire.

I had the 21" version of the Michelin's All-Season slapped on today. The weather was below freezing with snow flurries coating the edges of the road and melted on the heavily traveled roads. There was some slippage when I got too heavy footed, but the car corrected itself before I could even react.

The traction control on the car is superb. Handling is fantastic as well. There was a solid layer of snow/ice at the entrance to the neighborhood. I came in too hot at around 25. Mid-way through the turn the weight and snow hit max traction with a back end drift, yet I never felt like it was out of control as again... The car and tires corrected with a slide of no more than a few inches to half a foot.

Hope this helps.
Can you link out to the exact 21” michelins you put on?

Looks like rain may be hitting Phoenix this week so may have a chance to test out the 20 inch tires on my new Touring. Will report back if so.

In general, summer-only tires (like Lucid's OE tires on 20" rims) have significantly better traction in the rain than all-seasons. My source: comparisons of same-sized Michelin tires of similar construction on a wet track, on Youtube. Summer-only tires begin to lose significant grip around 40-45F, and are dangerous in freezing weather.

So these are branded for an XL load rather HL if I’m looking at this right? Which is not correct for the Lucids needs.

Edit: honestly just hard to find the HL branding

where was the HL branding? I did not think they were nor do I see it on the spec's

where was the HL branding? I did not think they were nor do I see it on the spec's

So these are branded for an XL load rather HL if I’m looking at this right? Which is not correct for the Lucids needs.

Edit: honestly just hard to find the HL branding
The OE Lucid tires, at least for the 19" wheels, are XL.

Hope this helps.
Does Discount Tires handle TPMS. All read out ok after installation?

The OE Lucid tires, at least for the 19" wheels, are XL.

I think it has to do with the 102Y load capacity of those tires. I’m sure at some point it switches from XL to HL.

For the 21s, the 101Y would support the car load, but it gets a little tight because of the rears being 96Y. Likely the reason why there were reports of tire rack not fulfilling those orders initially. The pirelli OEM are load weighted at 103Y/99Y and are the only 21 tires available to be rated as such (at least on tire rack)

I think it has to do with the 102Y load capacity of those tires. I’m sure at some point it switches from XL to HL.

For the 21s, the 101Y would support the car load, but it gets a little tight because of the rears being 96Y. Likely the reason why there were reports of tire rack not fulfilling those orders initially. The pirelli OEM are load weighted at 103Y/99Y and are the only 21 tires available to be rated as such (at least on tire rack)
Caught up on the thread. The weight is close to the limits for the tires. Agreed. However, I did not have much choice with the artic front across the country.

Discount Tires and Tire Rack both seemed fine with the tires. I am not a tire expert. They took extra care to keep the car clean with the snow and loading the tires in the car. I expect they would have noted an issue with weight if it were an issue. No issues with handling with the car.

Does Discount Tires handle TPMS. All read out ok after installation?
No TPMS necessary. Same size wheels and tires: 21" -> 21".

might be hard to tell on snow, but how's the ride comfort/noise on those?
Noiser... After a few hundred miles, the noise seems to tamper down a bit, but this could have been from long exposure. I may very well get 19" wheel and tire because of it as the replacement for the current tires.

Back