Well here it is Tesla Plaid versus Lucid Air Sapphire on the same day in the same place~ no excuses!

The point I am trying to make here, apparently unsuccessfully, is that I know the sapphire is better than the plaid at everything, including a drag strip. However, I could just get a plaid as a dedicated track car AND another Air(so as Borski said, space as well as dd quality is out of the question). We are then left with handling as well as about 30k extra. For 30k, you could ask unplugged to build a hell of a track car out of a plaid, as shown by their Dark Matter concept. This would fix the last remaining piece, handling.

Will the sapphire have aftermarket support in the future? I dont know. But as of now, I would go for the plaid.

Last edited:
The point I am trying to make here, apparently unsuccessfully, is that I know the sapphire is better than the plaid at everything, including a drag strip. However, I could just get a plaid as a dedicated track car AND another Air(so as Borski said, space as well as dd quality is out of the question). We are then left with handling as well as about 30k extra. For 30k, you could ask unplugged to build a hell of a track car out of a plaid, as shown by their Dark Matter concept. This would fix the last remaining piece, handling.

Will the sapphire have aftermarket support in the future? I dont know. But as of now, I would go for the plaid.
I don't think your average Sapphire buyer is concerned about cost.

I was right there ready to buy the Plaid (this was when the Lucid was still a dream and Elon was just a nerd) when I saw the "joke" steering wheel.
Big Nope.

Now I'm wondering.. .was the yoke to expose the top of the dash info? Because Lucid got this wrong. Big time.
It's more important for Peter to use his best real estate to post the AIR logo. Fail.

Peter please be the car guy we all know you are. Put the Adaptable Cruse info there. You can keep the HA hidden behind the top of the steering wheel. Apparently nobody cares about it...I only care because it happens secretly when I want Adaptive Cruse ... and I can't avoid it.

As for the AIR logo: I know what car i'm in. Why? Fire a marketing person...it may help the stock price.

(sigh)

Last edited:

I mean with that logic, it’s better you buy an actual track car. EVs aren’t track cars right now that’s why you never see a model s on the track. ICE cars own the track. So then you might as well buy a track ICE car and a GT or GT performance for cruising.

Also I think you’re trying to get at the idea of value. You get more bang for your buck with a model s on a drag strip. However, value goes out the window when shopping cars over 60-70k.

Let's put it this way, @Bill55 and @Charley had a choice to buy a tricked out Plaid and decided to go with a Sapphire for a reason. The people who can afford a Sapphire don't give 2 shits about this video.

Let's put it this way, @Bill55 and @Charley had a choice to buy a tricked out Plaid and decided to go with a Sapphire for a reason. The people who can afford a Sapphire don't give 2 shits about this video.
Actually, I do want to hear from them! @Bill55 is different as he already had a cruising DE, but still curious!

Actually, I do want to hear from them! @Bill55 is different as he already had a cruising DE, but still curious!
For context, before I bought my DE, I was going to buy either a Plaid or an Audi R8. Why the R8? Because I love the car. After driving the Plaid, it was not good enough of a driver's car for me, despite going very fast in a straight line.

Then I found the Lucid and fell in love, as it accomplished all my desires in one package. I have a two-car garage. I did not want a third car.

If the Sapphire had existed then instead of the DE, I likely would have bought the Sapphire over the DE.

The thing about buying a tricked-out Plaid is, unfortunately, you still have to like the Plaid. And I simply don't, no matter how fast it goes in a straight line.

If I want a track car, it's not the Plaid.

For context, before I bought my DE, I was going to buy either a Plaid or an Audi R8. Why the R8? Because I love the car. After driving the Plaid, it was not good enough of a driver's car for me, despite going very fast in a straight line.

Then I found the Lucid and fell in love, as it accomplished all my desires in one package. I have a two-car garage. I did not want a third car.

If the Sapphire had existed then instead of the DE, I likely would have bought the Sapphire over the DE.

The thing about buying a tricked-out Plaid is, unfortunately, you still have to like the Plaid. And I simply don't, no matter how fast it goes in a straight line.

If I want a track car, it's not the Plaid.
For some reason, I just can't picture you in a R8 lol

But why did you not shop the R8 around? And sorry, but I'm taking a huracan over a R8 all day! Yes, its more expensive, but it looks way cooler(yes im one of those guys) and you could probably rent it out for far more money than the R8 if you had a second car. TT huracans are also ridiculously overpowered(same for r8) but the R8 doesnt even exist now!

Last edited:
I mean with that logic, it’s better you buy an actual track car. EVs aren’t track cars right now that’s why you never see a model s on the track. ICE cars own the track. So then you might as well buy a track ICE car and a GT or GT performance for cruising.

Also I think you’re trying to get at the idea of value. You get more bang for your buck with a model s on a drag strip. However, value goes out the window when shopping cars over 60-70k.
100%

Sapphire as a track car makes zero sense to me. Maybe a totaled Plaid for the helluvit but if you want a dedicated track car - get a used Spec Miata if you're on a budget. Faster on a budget? Maybe build a C5 Z06. Got real money to spend? Open wheel car or Cup 911.

A super quick 1/4 mile car doesn't even begin to make my list of cars that I need to have in my life. Priorities. :)

Now I'm wondering.. .was the yoke to expose the top of the dash info? Because Lucid got this wrong. Big time.
It's more important for Peter to use his best real estate to post the AIR logo. Fail.
That was the point of the Yoke. The Air logo has been replaced by nav/media.

Peter please be the car guy we all know you are. Put the Adaptable Cruse info there. You can keep the HA hidden behind the top of the steering wheel. Apparently nobody cares about it...I only care because it happens secretly when I want Adaptive Cruse ... and I can't avoid it.
Stop beating this drum. It is clear that very few people agree with you, and I can guarantee you they aren't going to get rid of HA at your behest.

As for the AIR logo: I know what car i'm in. Why? Fire a marketing person...it may help the stock price.

(sigh)
Again: this has now been replaced by the media/nav widgets.

For some reason, I just can't picture you in a R8 lol

But why did you not shop the R8 around?
You'd be wrong; it was my favorite (and my dream) car before the Air.

I did - before I found the Air, I was going to buy the R8, after I decided no on the Plaid.

I walked by Lucid at the valley fair mall in September 2021, ordered in October 2021, upgraded to DE in November 2021, got my car January 2022. Lucky? Yes, absolutely - but I wasn't one of those who waited for the car for years - it was just the car I wanted and the first EV to convince me to give up ICE. All of my prior vehicles were ICE.

You'd be wrong; it was my favorite (and my dream) car before the Air.

I did - before I found the Air, I was going to buy the R8, after I decided no on the Plaid.

I walked by Lucid at the valley fair mall in September 2022, ordered in October 2022, upgraded to DE in November 2022, got my car January 2023. Lucky? Yes, absolutely - but I wasn't one of those who waited for the car for years - it was just the car I wanted and the first EV to convince me to give up ICE. All of my prior vehicles were ICE.
Uh, I don’t think those dates are right lol

What was the original air trim you decided on?

I think we should hold final judgement until we see more runs but it's definitely a rough start.

I think we should hold final judgement until we see more runs but it's definitely a rough start.
Anyone know how much the end cost of that species out Plaid was? It's definitely not stock so let's not compare stock vs stock.

Just addressing the video…

The Model S Plaid is on 19” Pirelli P Zeros. The Air Sapphire is on 20”/21” Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss.

The runs were at 55F ambient and damp.

If both cars were on their respective Michelin PS4Ss, and the Model S Plaid hadn’t undergone 170 lbs weight reduction, the outcome would have been very different.

If the cars were on their existing different tires, the runs were at above ~60F and dry, and the Model S Plaid hadn’t undergone 170 lbs weight reduction, the outcome would have been very different.

We’ve tested it.

Just addressing the video…

The Model S Plaid is on 19” Pirelli P Zeros. The Air Sapphire is on 20”/21” Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss.

The runs were at 55F ambient and damp.

If both cars were on their respective Michelin PS4Ss, and the Model S Plaid hadn’t undergone 170 lbs weight reduction, the outcome would have been very different.

If the cars were on their existing different tires, the runs were at above ~60F and dry, and the Model S Plaid hadn’t undergone 170 lbs weight reduction, the outcome would have been very different.

We’ve tested it.
Wait, are you with Lucid? Genuinely curious.

Well if his profile picture is correct.

He's definitely with LUCID.

David Lickfold.
Wow! There are SO many questions I would want to ask him, but probably shouldnt lol. His initials also are DL..

And thank you for that confirmation! Any hard track numbers you can throw out?

also do the nurburgring please lol

Back