Watch out when sending a destination from Google Maps on your phone to your car

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I had a fairly serious and repeatable error with sending a destination from Google Maps to my car this evening.

I found my destination on Google Maps on my phone, used its "share" button to send the location to my Lucid. Got in the car, pressed the corresponding destination popup, and started driving. We were about two blocks away from the nav's destination when we realized it wasn't our destination. Instead of the Palo Alto eatery we were aiming for, the nav tried to take us to a bus stop in front of City Hall, about three miles away.

The correct destination on Google Maps on my phone was:
State of Mind Slice House, 3850 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94306

But the car's nav took us to a location near the center of Palo Alto, nowhere near El Camino Real. Photos attached of the inputs to the car.

There were no error messages from my phone or the car while this happened. It's easy to repeat.

This isn't the first time we've had this issue. I will now 100% verify the destination the car thinks it's driving to, even though I was certain I had the correct location showing on my phone when I sent the destination to the car.

Lucid intended destination.webp

Lucid Nav pop-up.webp

I've had that sort of thing happen before. If the location that Google sent is something that HERE maps doesn't think is valid, it will take you somewhere else. If it doesn't like the number, you get sent to the middle of the length of the street. If the street isn't recognized, you get sent to the center of the town.

You’re on Android right? I’m wondering if the same issue happens with that place from Apple Maps. A while back I had some issues trying to send from Google Maps to the car so now just use Apple Maps. Annoying that you can’t trust it.

Or maybe use the search function in the Lucid App to send to the vehicle. Again, not ideal but saves you having to verify.

IMG_1734.webp

You’re on Android right? I’m wondering if the same issue happens with that place from Apple Maps. A while back I had some issues trying to send from Google Maps to the car so now just use Apple Maps. Annoying that you can’t trust it.

Or maybe use the search function in the Lucid App to send to the vehicle. Again, not ideal but saves you having to verify.
Yes, Android. As you say, my best bet currently is to never send a destination from Google Maps - just from Lucid's app.

The correct destination on Google Maps on my phone was:
State of Mind Slice House, 3850 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94306
Not to pry... But how was the pizza?

I have the same issue sending the location to Lucid using Android Phone via google maps

Not to pry... But how was the pizza?
I'll tell you... I was pretty upset by the time we arrived at the correct location. But about halfway through my pizza slice I could feel the anger melting away. The founder, Tony Gemignani, is a 13-time world champion pizza maker.

I'll tell you... I was pretty upset by the time we arrived at the correct location. But about halfway through my pizza slice I could feel the anger melting away. The founder, Tony Gemignani, is a 13-time world champion pizza maker.
On my list to try. Thanks for the tip.

On my list to try. Thanks for the tip.
The El Camino Real PA Slice House location gets better reviews than the nearby California Ave spot in Mountain View. It's a franchise operation, so each location may have its own pluses and minuses.
The mother ship in SF is https://tonyspizzanapoletana.com/

Too bad I didn't know about this place during the 8 years that my son was in this area.
(He was an early admission to your alma mater, his dream school, but then changed his mind after visiting Palo Alto)

Too bad I didn't know about this place during the 8 years that my son was in this area.
(He was an early admission to your alma mater, his dream school, but then changed his mind after visiting Palo Alto)
Slice house is a pretty recent thing, but Tony's Pizzeria Napolitana in SF has been around for ages and is excellent.
Did your son wind up going to Stanford? Got my masters' degree there.

Slice house is a pretty recent thing, but Tony's Pizzeria Napolitana in SF has been around for ages and is excellent.
Did your son wind up going to Stanford? Got my masters' degree there.
Yes, he did.
Much to our chagrin since it'd be a short drive to Pasadena, as opposed to having to fly to San Jose airport.
We rapidly became quite familiar with El Camino Real and the 101 freeway traffic.

Yes, he did.
Much to our chagrin since it'd be a short drive to Pasadena, as opposed to having to fly to San Jose airport.
We rapidly became quite familiar with El Camino Real and the 101 freeway traffic.
He must be a smart young man. I think Stanford may have been a healthier environment to mature in than Caltech, FWIW.

Have had the same issue happen 2-3 times on Android sending the location as well as 1 time from my wife's iPhone app sending location as well. I always just search and enter the destination once I'm in the car now and that hasn't failed me yet.

He must be a smart young man. I think Stanford may have been a healthier environment to mature in than Caltech, FWIW.
Stanford certainly has more resources and the beautiful campus doesn't hurt recruitment efforts.
It's just so expensive up there. When my son was in grad school, he was paying some ridiculous money for a tiny apartment on top of a warehouse in East Palo.
Years back, I was offered a faculty position but didn't think the finance would work out. But had I been able to predict that my son was going to study there, I'd have taken the job for the free tuition.

Here Maps is terrible on the last mile. I double check on waze to be sure if it is an unfamiliar location. They can't even get me to my house properly.

The El Camino Real PA Slice House location gets better reviews than the nearby California Ave spot in Mountain View. It's a franchise operation, so each location may have its own pluses and minuses.
The mother ship in SF is https://tonyspizzanapoletana.com/
The mothership is even closer to home, so I'll try that first.

Always on the hunt for good pizza.

They’re coming to LA! Can’t wait! His location in little Italy in SF is good too.

Wow, I thought this was just me. It happens to me "every" time after the 2.3.0 update. Never happened before as I used share with Lucid 100% of the time via google maps on my Android phone.

I am easily able to find the address if I search directly on the car's screen, however I prefer sending location via phone.

The voice commands also returns with sub-optimal result at first. It will suggest me to a farther food chain restaurant and I have to wait to say "no" to get the results. Also, sometimes a unique address in my Indian accent result with unsuccessful searches most of the time. (Alexa problem I think)

hey! I just did the "world pizza tour" at his sf restaraunt!

it was insane, lol. $500 prix fixe for a table of six (it's that price no matter how many you bring, but up to 6). two salads, seven pizzas (all in a completely different style, from crust to everything else), and a smorgasboard of italian desserts (cannolis, tira misu, and so on).

I was full for like 3 days lol

@joec @AirDoll we should do a lucid meetup at tony's! :p but we'd all uber because zero of us want to park our cars by tony's 🤣

Back