Android phone users: what would it take to make you basically satisfied with the Air's software?

I'm very in favor of dedicated physical controls for important functions (like defrost, fog lights, wiper adjustment, gear selector of course). And not just because the touchscreen doesn't always work well for me (every winter my skin becomes so dry that all of fingerprint readers stop recognizing me). It's mainly because I can use dedicated physical controls without need to look at them, still keeping my eyes on the road - very important when you drive an Alpine road and need to adjust your wipers or enable defrost.

I use a desktop or laptop exclusively, and do not you any voice-command...never have.
I use my smart phone to ... wait for it ... "receive phone calls".

Even though I can definitely see the advantage of "hands on the wheel / eyes on the road" voice-commands for the vehicle operator... I have not dared try it.
I've been "Kubricked" into not trusting voice-command.
1727609179664.webp
"I'm sorry Dave, I can not do that."

... and my finger is only works on capacitive switches (touch screens) some of the time.

I'd like to point out that Dave gets back into the space ship using a mechanical door knob...by-passing the AI that has taken over. I've been listening to podcasts about AI lately and it has me really spooked. I understand the doubt, but I don't understand those who aren't concerned at all. Was talking to a top scientist /senior prof. at top Ivy about this and he was adamant that there is no worry. This scared me even more.

I'm thinking that if Android Auto becomes available, it will eliminate a lot of the aggravation I feel when using the Air's software. The rest of it I can deal with, to be able to drive a really great car.
My software issues have nothing to do with Android or iPhone. My issues are poor sw quality starting back to me picking up my car. Having Android Auto would be nice but I highly doubt that will make the sw better.

I've been listening to podcasts about AI lately and it has me really spooked. I understand the doubt, but I don't understand those who aren't concerned at all. Was talking to a top scientist /senior prof. at top Ivy about this and he was adamant that there is no worry. This scared me even more.
Your friend is right. But different thread.

I'm in the same boat, got the Carlinkit, figured out my connection issue (I think) and have been very happy.
My only gripes with Lucid software was HERE maps, which never had clear indicators for what they want you to interpret. Many times it would tell me to continue straight into a merge, then immediately say turn when that merge should be removed to begin with. Things like that causes me to miss a lot of my exits or turns. HERE just sucks compared to Waze or Google Maps

I would be happy if Waze (running on my android phone) could be shown on the car's big screen, along with the verbal directions announced on the car's speaker.

That is what my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV (picked up Nov.2017) does.

I would be happy if Waze (running on my android phone) could be shown on the car's big screen, along with the verbal directions announced on the car's speaker.

That is what my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV (picked up Nov.2017) does.
Another Clarity owner! That's the car I sold to buy the Lucid. The wired AA in there was really good. But that only has one big screen, and it's near the top of the middle, which complies with requirements. I'm really curious to be in a car with the latest update Apple CarPlay running. I'll have to wait for the next SoCal meetup.

I'll be sad to sell my Clarity. It has been flawless since 11/2017. Did you sell yours? My 2025 pure is supposedly in production now.

P.S. - I'm on Hilton Head Island, 6 hours from any Lucid dealer.

I'm reading through the thread and one thing occurs to me, all the people bitching and moaning about the software. When will you stop and start enjoying the car?

I'm reading through the thread and one thing occurs to me, all the people bitching and moaning about the software. When will you stop and start enjoying the car?
Not everyone can "just enjoy the car" not thinking about anything and just driving doesn't matter where: quite a few actually use the car for some daily tasks etc. To enjoy the car using it for daily tasks the software should actually just work how I expect it to work: I want to jump into the car and just in one touch start navigation to the place I have already in the calendar, and immediately stat driving to enjoy the car, continuing to listen to the music I've listened before. I don't want to try and fail telling it where I'm going to drive or spend my time re-typing the address.
If the car is mainly positioned for rich people that want a car to just enjoy driving, without much practical usage, then sure, all these complaints would be not relevant.

Not everyone can "just enjoy the car" not thinking about anything and just driving doesn't matter where: quite a few actually use the car for some daily tasks etc. To enjoy the car using it for daily tasks the software should actually just work how I expect it to work: I want to jump into the car and just in one touch start navigation to the place I have already in the calendar, and immediately stat driving to enjoy the car, continuing to listen to the music I've listened before. I don't want to try and fail telling it where I'm going to drive or spend my time re-typing the address.
If the car is mainly positioned for rich people that want a car to just enjoy driving, without much practical usage, then sure, all these complaints would be not relevant.
Then, what stops you?

For me this is an easy answer. As soon as Lucid fixes my car. Hard to enjoy your car when Lucid returns your car to you and it has the exact same issues before they picked it up for repair.

I'll be sad to sell my Clarity. It has been flawless since 11/2017. Did you sell yours? My 2025 pure is supposedly in production now.
P.S. - I'm on Hilton Head Island, 6 hours from any Lucid dealer.
I sold it to my brother. He wanted an EV, but something cheap. He never drives more than 10 miles from his home, which makes the Clarity a perfect EV for him.
Once I got used to driving the Lucid, I don't even think about the Clarity any more. It's a worlds different driving experience. It was a good car, but I've never had a car that was as fun to drive as this one.

There are times I "just enjoy driving the car", my husband too. Just going someplace to be in the car. But 90% of the time, I'm getting in the car to go to work or get daily tasks done. I can open the door, get in and go. The music continues from the last time I got out. If I'm going to a new place, or just want to see traffic estimates, I'll put in an address. Just because I'm doing daily tasks in it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the heck out of driving it. Having this car makes the getting there and back home so much nicer! For me, the software works as it is supposed to 98% of the time. I won't say I never have to do a reset, but it's rare, and these days kind of surprises me when I do have to. If I walk up to the car, the door usually opens for me. First thing in the morning, I do almost always have to push in the handle to open it. It's not that big of a deal. After all, you have to grab it to open the door anyway.

The music continues from the last time I got out.
So I can listen to the musing at home using my headphones, then jump to the car and it will continue playing the same song I've started listening when it was at home?
If I'm going to a new place, or just want to see traffic estimates, I'll put in an address.
It's not necessary a new place, but it is almost always a different place: we don't have any daily routines involving a car, neither me nor my wife commute by car, kids just walk alone to the school, however we both drive to various places during the week: some work related places, meeting friends, bringing kids to some activities, visiting relatives etc. They are not completely new places, however they are different places, also with alternative routes some of them. We have them all in the calendar for convenience, so we know our plans and can easily follow them. And this, when it woakr properly, allows to "just enjoy the car": I can just immediately start driving, not thinking about anything else: I don't need to think "oh, my daughter has her training in a different place today", "there is a heavy traffic on that route" etc.
Just because I'm doing daily tasks in it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the heck out of driving it.
Exactly! And I want the software to help me by taking care of everything else, not to require me to it all by myself like decades ago when there was no software that could do that.

Back