• Interior Quality: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Seat Comfort: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Interior Features: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Acceleration: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Range: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Ride and Handling: Tie
  • Safety: TBD
  • Winner: 2023 Lucid Air

Thanks for the summary. I do not know how to post that article on this forum besides the wierd link.

I guess you could argue the Hatchback gives you more effective space than the Air, but the Air fits more crap than I can find to put in it lol; it's definitely the most spacious car I've owned in this body style. That said, I will admit the sedan design requires you to be a bit more creative with how you position things, and some things that are too tall are just too tall.

TLDR:

• Price: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Reliability: TBD
  • Cargo Space: 2023 Tesla Model S
  • Interior Quality: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Seat Comfort: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Interior Features: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Acceleration: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Range: 2023 Lucid Air
  • Ride and Handling: Tie
  • Safety: TBD
  • Winner: 2023 Lucid Air
It’s kind of outdated.. price the s is better and cargo with frunk as well as ride is better in the lucid.

It’s kind of outdated.. price the s is better and cargo with frunk as well as ride is better in the lucid.
I don't disagree with you, but I do wonder about your first hand experiences.

Ride and handling will be the same for most people. They will judge on a 45 straight as an arrow road, not a 45 mountain road with hairpin turns at 80% capacity.

acceleration?
Yes…… if spending 250 K
It’s all relative people are going to choose what best fits their perceived needs. Acceleration is important to many. It’s just part of bragging rights. Especially for real car people crowd.
Air wins in all other aspects except maybe tech and safety.

Last edited:
acceleration?
Yes…… if spending 250 K
It’s all relative people are going to choose what best fits their perceived needs. Acceleration is important to many. It’s just part of bragging rights. Especially for real car people crowd.
Air wins in all other aspects except maybe tech and safety.
This was a general lineup comparison by the looks of it. The Lucid Air has the Pure RWD starting somewhere around 80k, so there are more options than just Sapphire at 250k similar to S base vs Plaid vs a track option.

This was a general lineup comparison by the looks of it. The Lucid Air has the Pure RWD starting somewhere around 80k, so there are more options than just Sapphire at 250k similar to S base vs Plaid vs a track option.
Fully understood
Base vs base

They did state that in acceleration Lucid wins (due to the sapphire) but a half second here or there in a 1/4 mile is not noticeable to the normal day to day driver. Both cars are fast.

^^^
Absolutely matters for many drivers. Especially if it’s more like a full second 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. Lots of stoplight heroes driving around.
It might not pertain to you, but it does matter in the real world for many drivers. It’s just the way it is. If it didn’t matter they wouldn’t review it.
It’s always about bragging rights for fast cars,
Hence why Lucid made it was a big deal for sapphire numbers.

Last edited:
^^^
Absolutely matters for many drivers. Especially if it’s more like a full second 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. Lots of stoplight heroes driving around.
It might not pertain to you, but it does matter in the real world for many drivers. It’s just the way it is. If it didn’t matter they wouldn’t review it.
It’s always about bragging rights for fast cars,
Hence why Lucid made it was a big deal for sapphire numbers.
I tend to drive like I hate the car BUT it is scary that there are drivers out there pulling away from stop lights thinking that 4 second 0-60 is too slow for them! On a track, sure; but on public streets...scary.

I don't disagree with you, but I do wonder about your first hand experiences.

Ride and handling will be the same for most people. They will judge on a 45 straight as an arrow road, not a 45 mountain road with hairpin turns at 80% capacity.
My first hand experiences for specifically ride/handling is numerous test drives(not me behind the wheel, obviously) of both cars. Considering that both studios were not that far away, I requested that both be ridden on a bumpy road near short hills as well as a 5 mile stretch of highway. When first hitting the bumpy road, the transition was not very jarring in the air and continued to somewhat.. give a “suggestion” of the fact that it was over a bumpy road, instead of screaming through a megaphone that there was a bumpy road, if that makes sense. On the model s, the transition felt very abrupt and there was a nasty vibration for some reason. I also heard some creaks somewhere to the rear of the car(I suspect c pillar).

On the highway, the model s was louder. This is a simple fact even to my hearing affected ears. In addition, I found it hard to get comfortable in the back seat compared to the air. Over a bumpy concrete section, the air again only suggested that it was bumpy compared to the model s.

Over some spirited roads, the model s had considerably more body roll(yes, thats noticeable from the passenger seats). It did seem to have more lateral capacity that was harder to use due to the body roll, mainly due to the wide tires. They have the same 0-60 in theory(touring and model s, look at motortrends test) but the Air was pulling considerably harder compared to the LR model s at the upper end. In fact, my dad doing those pulls made my mom want to get out of the Air, and after my mom went to the parking lot to get our current car, my dad requested a GT-P test drive due to how much he loved the car. Parents and children alike..(story for another time, lol)

One negative for my parents was the motor noise. I like this, as it is very futuristic and sleek, but they didn't, which I understand.

My first hand experiences for specifically ride/handling is numerous test drives(not me behind the wheel, obviously) of both cars. Considering that both studios were not that far away, I requested that both be ridden on a bumpy road near short hills as well as a 5 mile stretch of highway. When first hitting the bumpy road, the transition was not very jarring in the air and continued to somewhat.. give a “suggestion” of the fact that it was over a bumpy road, instead of screaming through a megaphone that there was a bumpy road, if that makes sense. On the model s, the transition felt very abrupt and there was a nasty vibration for some reason. I also heard some creaks somewhere to the rear of the car(I suspect c pillar).

On the highway, the model s was louder. This is a simple fact even to my hearing affected ears. In addition, I found it hard to get comfortable in the back seat compared to the air. Over a bumpy concrete section, the air again only suggested that it was bumpy compared to the model s.

Over some spirited roads, the model s had considerably more body roll(yes, thats noticeable from the passenger seats). It did seem to have more lateral capacity that was harder to use due to the body roll, mainly due to the wide tires. They have the same 0-60 in theory(touring and model s, look at motortrends test) but the Air was pulling considerably harder compared to the LR model s at the upper end. In fact, my dad doing those pulls made my mom want to get out of the Air, and after my mom went to the parking lot to get our current car, my dad requested a GT-P test drive due to how much he loved the car. Parents and children alike..(story for another time, lol)

One negative for my parents was the motor noise. I like this, as it is very futuristic and sleek, but they didn't, which I understand.
Totally agree with you. Believe me. I just didn't know if you had somehow snuck a test drive in. Would have been impressive.

What car did your parents end up going with, if either? I saw a post about maybe the Gravity instead. Not meaning to detail, but I am curious if they shared the above opinion as the article vs experience. Driver experience can feel a lot different than a passenger ride experience (mostly drive vs ride).

Totally agree with you. Believe me. I just didn't know if you had somehow snuck a test drive in. Would have been impressive.

What car did your parents end up going with, if either? I saw a post about maybe the Gravity instead. Not meaning to detail, but I am curious if they shared the above opinion as the article vs experience. Driver experience can feel a lot different than a passenger ride experience (mostly drive vs ride).
Actually, we did not go with anything as of now. It has been a terribly long wait, but so many options are coming out that it is getting ridiculous. As of now, the Air is one of two cars we are considering(ev9 is the other one), however Gravity is what we are waiting for. I have set deadlines for decisions(dont ask, lol), so we should have our final choices by the end of november.

My parents are not big driving enthusiasts, but they did appreciate the Air's handling and endless power. My dad especially loved how the Air made my mom get out, and proceeded to floor it in the GT-P at the first stoplight we encountered. They also found the noise and ride to be comfortable, especially as this will be our first EV.

We were also very shocked at the legroom difference, as we took the Model S test drive right after the Air. I perhaps thought that the 10 inches of legroom difference was exaggerated, but it actually held true. I am 5'11, but I would love to stretch out and for my parents, that is a STRICT requirement for every car choice. The air also had amazing front legroom.

The only reason we don't have an Air right now is that my parents feel that Lucid may be in danger, despite my evidence and 34 page powerpoint showing that it is very unlikely.

Not even close, or at least it shouldn't have been based on specs. As mentioned, I've sat in a Ferrari 812(superfast) and other such cars and the Pure just... felt faster like the pull was never going to end. Maybe it was the instant torque? Then again, the model s non plaid just did not have that pull and that also has "instant torque." I believe the statement that the air is tuned for high speed acceleration as stated by others.
That's interesting. At least the new Model S non-plaid is faster than the Pure and even Touring at higher speeds. It traps a 129mph at the quarter mile while the Pure is 122 and the Touring is 127. This means that discounting 0-60, those cars are pulling harder at higher speeds. Model 3 performance on the other hand has a 0-60 of 3 seconds and a quarter mile trap speed of 115 or 116, which shows that it drops power off fast after 60.

The Lucid IS tuned for higher speeds better than almost every other EV on the road except the one you sat in lol...the 2021+ model S LR and Plaid

That's interesting. At least the new Model S non-plaid is faster than the Pure and even Touring at higher speeds. It traps a 129mph at the quarter mile while the Pure is 122 and the Touring is 127. This means that discounting 0-60, those cars are pulling harder at higher speeds. Model 3 performance on the other hand has a 0-60 of 3 seconds and a quarter mile trap speed of 115 or 116, which shows that it drops power off fast after 60
Wait, where have you got those numbers? I have never seen a test of a long range Model S!

And the model s may very well be faster at higher than 100 speeds, as we did not sample that. When we test drove the model s, we were limited to a crappy 25 mph speed limit road that was a mile long. No highway speeds at all.. The best way to explain it is that the model s dumps all of its power in a very unrefined way while the Lucid delivers it like a M5 CS(i also know that)

Wait, where have you got those numbers? I have never seen a test of a long range Model S!

And the model s may very well be faster at higher than 100 speeds, as we did not sample that. When we test drove the model s, we were limited to a crappy 25 mph speed limit road that was a mile long. No highway speeds at all..
Tesla forum has a whole owners thread with dragy results. Weirdly no owner has ever managed to get the claimed 0-60 in 3s on a model S LR, it ends up doing a 3.2 at best, it doesn't launch hard, but it's high speed performance is really really fast. 0-100 matches the Touring, so my guess is 0-60 on the Touring is 0.2s quicker while 60-100 is 0.2s quicker in the model S.

10.8@129 seems to be the average for model S (faster time and trap speed than touring)
Some links below if you're interested:
(1) Dyno Results for Model S refresh LR? | Page 2 | Tesla Motors Club
(2) 1/4 Mile Passes in the New 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range (not Plaid) - YouTube

Tesla forum has a whole owners thread with dragy results. Weirdly no owner has ever managed to get the claimed 0-60 in 3s on a model S LR, it ends up doing a 3.2 at best, it doesn't launch hard, but it's high speed performance is really really fast. 0-100 matches the Touring, so my guess is 0-60 on the Touring is 0.2s quicker while 60-100 is 0.2s quicker in the model S.

10.8@129 seems to be the average for model S (faster time and trap speed than touring)
Some links below if you're interested:
(1) Dyno Results for Model S refresh LR? | Page 2 | Tesla Motors Club
(2) 1/4 Mile Passes in the New 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range (not Plaid) - YouTube
Wait, but don't car magazines not use prepped drag strips unlike in these videos? I'm pretty sure car and driver does it on a unprepped surface and motor trend a two way average..

Wait, but don't car magazines not use prepped drag strips unlike in these videos? I'm pretty sure car and driver does it on a unprepped surface and motor trend a two way average..
You're stretching now...that doesn't affect quarter mile traps in any case, it does affect 0-60, but to the inverse of your point, car and driver does 1ft rollout, these personal results do not use 1 foot rollout, so car and driver would probably say it's even faster than this. Either way, the results are significant and consistent that it's indisputable that a model S LR IS faster.

Back