use of LIDAR.

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Does anyone know when LIDAR will be implemented in DreamDrive Pro?

It sounds like the Valeo unit (if similar to the CEPTON one you mentioned) in the Mercedes will limit them to never offering 40mph+ level 3 in those cars?

I guess in the Lucid air the Lidar must be a small unit behind the center portion of the front grill.

It sounds like the Valeo unit (if similar to the CEPTON one you mentioned) in the Mercedes will limit them to never offering 40mph+ level 3 in those cars?

I guess in the Lucid air the Lidar must be a small unit behind the center portion of the front grill.
I have not seen it but It should be somewhere on the grill. Generally the cars would have at least 2 and could be as many as 4 if they are small enough and go for level 3-5.

For MicroVision it is a an all in one unit that can be turned from level1-5 as needed by the OEM.

The big names in this space are Luminar, Innoviz, AeYe and then there are CEPTON and Valeo and Ouster and MicroVision who is the real outsider and has the most sleek unit but are a bit behind in their testing and certification due to change in design in 2021. Bosch and Continental also want to play in this space.

Do you know what Mercedes is using for their Drive Pilot level 3 system? At least based on testing and videos that seems to be the best functioning system with realistic expectations rather than the fantasy Elon is selling.
I think they are using NVIDIA Drive, just like Lucid

Since last April, NVIDIA’s total automotive design win pipeline has increased from $8 billion to more than $11 billion over the next six years, spanning the entire autonomous vehicle industry — from the top EV makers, to world-renowned automakers Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo Cars, to leading trucking companies including Plus, TuSimple and Volvo Autonomous Solutions, and cutting-edge robotaxi manufacturers AutoX, DiDi, Pony.ai and Zoox.

I think they are using NVIDIA Drive, just like Lucid

Since last April, NVIDIA’s total automotive design win pipeline has increased from $8 billion to more than $11 billion over the next six years, spanning the entire autonomous vehicle industry — from the top EV makers, to world-renowned automakers Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo Cars, to leading trucking companies including Plus, TuSimple and Volvo Autonomous Solutions, and cutting-edge robotaxi manufacturers AutoX, DiDi, Pony.ai and Zoox.
Qualcomm is also becoming a Major Player in the LiDar market after acquiring this company last year and VW is going to use their Platform for their Autonomous driving.

So here is the thing, neither Nvidia nor Qualcomm have a LiDar chip. The ADAS System will have a LiDar solution most likely a SOC which will provide the Cloud data and say drivable or not drivable.

Then there will be the Custom Domain Controller that will receive this data and maybe also from Cameras and Radar and make the actual Decision. THIS Item will be a Nvidia or Qualcomm solution.

On top of that there will be the Software built by the OEM Like Lucid or VW of MB that will incorporate what features will be enabled and their capability.

That is my understanding of it. Right now there are a dozen LiDar companies out there but within 3 years there will be only 3-5 with a viable Automotive solution.

For example although Ouster is a LiDar company they play in the Industrial space such as self driving Fork Lifts. They are also working with Cities because the future says for 100% safe driving you will need smart signs and smart roads as in some chips embedded under the roads that tell the car how to stick to the lane rather than some camera identifying where the lane is based on how the vehicle departure system works today in ICE Cars which is pretty archaic. My QX80 thinks I am not in my lane at least 20% of the time which I believe is due to the winding nature of the roads here in Texas.

Last edited:
Do you know what Mercedes is using for their Drive Pilot level 3 system? At least based on testing and videos that seems to be the best functioning system with realistic expectations rather than the fantasy Elon is selling.

Check out this page. Scroll down to the "SAE Level 3 DRIVE PILOT" section:

1653049980250.png

Are you saying that Lucid currently uses a version of the Valeo LIDAR? If so, do you have a reference?
I really don’t want valeo LiDAR if it really does look like this.
400468EC-E5CE-4A80-BF93-CB2EB52A4E0B.jpeg

It seems like the S Class does use Valeo (I guess paired with NVIDEA system) per Valero’s website:

In a google search for Lucid + Valeo this is the only thing that I saw was relevant
REALLY old article though, 2017 (!) so I would put zero weight on it, and at the time it sounded like they were thinking full autonomy 6 months after starting production(!). I can’t see anyone having fully autonomous (ie Level 5) cars available to buy, with regulatory approvals in less than 10 years.

It seems like the S Class does use Valeo (I guess paired with NVIDEA system) per Valero’s website:

In a google search for Lucid + Valeo this is the only thing that I saw was relevant
REALLY old article though, 2017 (!) so I would put zero weight on it, and at the time it sounded like they were thinking full autonomy 6 months after starting production(!). I can’t see anyone having fully autonomous (ie Level 5) cars available to buy, with regulatory approvals in less than 10 years.
Good read at the quote you provided, I can't help to think that Tesla has data that can be used and sold for other manufacturers automonous drivings systems.

For comparison, Teslas are not currently fully autonomous, and as of three months ago they had accumulated 1.3 billion miles of data – certainly orders of magnitude more than Lucid will have in the first six months after delivery. But Lucid’s system does seem to gather at least as much data as Tesla’s, and probably even more given the greater diversity of sensors, so they might be able to achieve a bit of catch-up with higher quality data. https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/lucid-motors-copilot-autonomous-drive/amp/

Good read at the quote you provided, I can't help to think that Tesla has data that can be used and sold for other manufacturers automonous drivings systems.
The advantage of Lucid using NVIDIA Drive is that they supposedly get at least some access to data gathered by other cars using the Drive system as well. This was pointed out in another thread. So data wise, all the companies using Drive will end up with much more data that Tesla has because they can access the community pool of sensor data.

The advantage of Lucid using NVIDIA Drive is that they supposedly get at least some access to data gathered by other cars using the Drive system as well. This was pointed out in another thread. So data wise, all the companies using Drive will end up with much more data that Tesla has because they can access the community pool of sensor data.
What it also means that they will be able to use any LiDar Unit with the Nvidia Drive. Nvidia Drive is NOT LiDar, it is the Domain Controller that gets data from the Lidar, Camera, Radar units and makes driving decisions. LiDar by itself does not make the driving decisions.

Tesla likely has billions of miles more logged than others but their system is vision based, not geofenced 3D mapped areas. Other auto manufacturers would likely have to adopt a different approach to license the data and algos Tesla uses for FSD.

Back